Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-04-2021, 03:58 PM
Free Member

Send a message via Skype™ to CarlEHL
I've captured some CGA BD clips, using Dazzle and LordSmurf's VDub with both Win 10&7 PCs. Captures in Windows 10 were made today and Windows 7 one was made when the Dazzle was new (about a year ago). It's maybe sadly worn even when not used, simply by the fact of being always connected, since 1st thing in sight watching the Win10 videos is that image shakes vertically and in the old Win7 clip not.

Old Win7 clip was submitted to another forum and feedback was that black levels were lifted to the naked eye and technically in AvsPmod. I haven't played with VirtualDub' settings and left most defaults as per simple guide. I wonder if there's something to do by the detailed guide to enhance capture results as a 1st step before maybe editing video or just encoding right away.

Old Win7 stable clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Jf...ew?usp=sharing

New Win10 shaky clips: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...hG?usp=sharing

Thanks Beforehand
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-04-2021, 05:42 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Those are too large for me to want to download right now.

"shaky" can be as you say, chips overheated, altered, from being plugged in too long. That happens, on everything. Not just video gear, but toasters, hot water pots, etc.

But Win10 is more likely to blame.

As far as "raised black levels", I get tired of hearing this...
Again, I've not looked at the clips. But let's for a moment assume the video isn't actually bad...
Analog video has a legal range of 16-235. When somebody says "the black are not black" (or crushed, or clipped, or lifted, or whatever), the response should be "no shit, Sherlock" or "no duh" ("no doy"). Some capture cards capture the illegal values, and create a YUV with a 0-255 palette. ATI AIW is as such, which is good for restoration needs. But most cards simply floor anything below 16 to 16, and halt anything above 235 to 235. That's not a flaw. The source that had illegal values had the flaw. Some devices try to adjust 16-235 > 0-255 or 16-235 < 0-255, but that can make a big mess when not done correctly (and it's too often screwed up, then your video is really fubar).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: CarlEHL (05-06-2021)
05-06-2021, 04:24 PM
Free Member

Send a message via Skype™ to CarlEHL
I have news about the shaky image; it not only was evident in the AVI, but in the BD player to monitor video too (saw it yesterday), So BD player is to blame instead of the Dazzle. I replaced the BD player and BD movie with a DVD player and the DVD version of the same movie and shaking was gone. Just in case, I splitted both formats' AVIs in halves and thirds (Movie clip, Trailer and Teaser) using AVI Splitter (I understand it's lossless) so it's possible to discard clips in order to download just a sample being maybe enough to feedback some info about the capture quality and if there's something doable to enhance it.

Black levels is a concept I still haven't studied yet, so I can't aboard a discussion right now, but I plan not to discard it, I'm just about to follow the detailed capture guide and adopt some kind of general capture technique.

I uploaded all relevant splitted AVIs to the previously New Win10 shaky clips folder. TIA

Tags
lifted blacks, lordsmurf's virtualdub, pinnacle dazzle, windows 10, windows 7