digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Best Workchain Upgrade For $182? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/11815-best-workchain-upgrade.html)

chillaustin 05-08-2021 04:14 PM

Best Workchain Upgrade For $182?

I have a very low-end workchain of video equipment that has been surprisingly reliable playing the kinds of tapes that I deal with (OTA standard VHS usually SP or LP), but I think it could be a lot better and less of a pain whenever tapes do not want to track well. Out of all of the equipment, what would be the most important upgrade to make first?

VCR: Quasar Omnivision J1IA96012 (Mono with a mono-to-stereo adapter)
Capture Card: Honestech NW-06
TBC: None cause it's expensive right now

lordsmurf 05-08-2021 04:19 PM

With a small $182 budget, add the Panasonic ES10/15 for TBC(ish) passthrough between VCR and capture card. You'll have some funds left over, use that for cheap s-video cables from Amazon or Monoprice.

Next upgrade is to replace that VCR, ideally with recommended non-TBC JVC S-VHS deck, for $200-300 range.

Then capture card.

None of this is perfect, but definite steps up. You're hemorrhaging quality right now. Your current hardware will convert video that looks/sounds pretty bad, even if you don't yet realize it. These upgrades will lessen the quality loss quite a bit.

$182 is a random number. Tax refund, etc?

hodgey 05-08-2021 04:25 PM

First thing I would look for is a panasonic dvd-recorder, normally DMR-ES10/ES15 (but others may help too in a pinch), I think that would give you the biggest bump in video quality. If you are dealing with tapes that have hi-fi audio you want at least some VCR with Hi-Fi (I don't know what's the best budget option for US models.)

chillaustin 06-03-2021 10:33 PM

Something that I've just now come to realize is that, unless I go through eBay, finding a recommended non-TBC JVC S-VHS deck for $200-300 doesn't seem to be feasible. I'm not sure if I'm looking into the wrong places, but the closest I could get to that price range were JVC SR-V10 machines for around the $700 range.

I assume that eBay is not a very trustworthy source for VCRs, unless I'm mistaken.

dpalomaki 06-04-2021 05:33 AM

Buying used gear through ebay is a gamble! What you receive might be spot on, or it might be junk. No good way to verify what you are getting is really working in advance of buying. The only positive is that you have recourse if what you receive does not match the description. Same warning applies to all auction sites where you can't test it first.

Note that there are reputable sellers on ebay as well as people who know not what they are doing, The problem is figuring out which is which. You may be able to do some vettign by asking pointed questiosn and seeign if the answers make sense.

Buy used from a reputable source, then sell when your project is done as a way to reduce ultimate costs.

T

lordsmurf 06-04-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chillaustin (Post 77819)
finding a recommended non-TBC JVC S-VHS deck for $200-300 doesn't seem to be feasible.

PM me. :wink2:

Quote:

I assume that eBay is not a very trustworthy source for VCRs, unless I'm mistaken.
You're not mistaken. When it comes to VCRs, it can lead to wasted time, and buyer/seller fights (eBay stepping in, which doesn't always go your way, or at least is a months-long hassle, even with so-called Buyer Protection). It's all over the forum, going back years, and ramping up in more recent years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpalomaki (Post 77820)
Buying used gear through ebay is a gamble! What you receive might be spot on, or it might be junk.

But remember: odds are not 50/50. I actually quantified this in recent years. About 85% of all VCRs on eBay are unusable junk, and that includes "tested" and "working" items. Of that remaining 15%, most get a C or B- grade on my tracking scale (and tracking is an easy determiner of overall head quality, therefore overall deck quality). With refurb work, many of that 15% can be rehabbed into B+ and sometimes A-. Few are B+, A- or A+ as-is. Not happening, in general, overall.

eBay and video gear is like Las Vegas -- but less food, less lights, less noise, and jackpots are low (a working VCR, yay? :laugh:)

Quote:

Note that there are reputable sellers on ebay
- Europe, yep, at least two.
- North America, nope. The few of us that do this in NA are non-eBay. In fact, you have known video gear scammers on eBay, such as the guy in Houston. More irritating, he knows how to game the eBay system, so his negative feedbacks are always removed.

Quote:

as well as people who know not what they are doing, The problem is figuring out which is which. You may be able to do some vettign by asking pointed questiosn and seeign if the answers make sense.
This problem here is knowing what to ask. Newbies to buying the VCRs are generally slightly more competent at setting the clock, until they have some deck-time experience.

What more often happens is this:
The newbies buys the VCR, and it doesn't get used within that 30-day return window (which is itself not bulletproof, as mentioned). Or if the unit is "tested" (the same sort of low-knowledge non-test the seller did), it's not actually used right away. By the time the user gets around to having everything setup up for capture, problems happen. So we get into adding TBCs, better capture cards -- which is needed. But still, issues. Long-term, the VCR has problems, either difficult or costly to repair, or irreparable. But now we're way past that 30-day window where eBay can attempt to "step in" and sort the transaction. Wasted money, you're screwed.

Quote:

Buy used from a reputable source, then sell when your project is done as a way to reduce ultimate costs.
And reduce headaches. When you're not sure, it's good to have a mentor say "yes, that's working" (or not).