05-26-2021, 01:42 PM
Free Member

Hi All, I'm new to this forum but have been studying old posts for weeks now. My project, like the boomers before of me, is to transfer old family videos to digital for archiving.

I found LordSmurf's VirtualDub 1.9.11 w/filters package and downloaded it and then added Huffyuv-mt to it. That worked fine and shows up in the Video Compression list for VirtualDub. Then I read more and saw that regular Huffyuv was recommended instead so I tried to add that too. That didn't work. I'm wondering if VirtualDub can't have both huffy versions as available compression tools? And if so how do I delete the -mt option? (Also I'm wondering if I need to keep the .dll and .int files on my computer? Or once installed they can be deleted?)

Before finding this forum I also downloaded the VirtualDub 1.10.4-64 bit package, so I don't know if that's confusing anything. For example when I try to install huffyuv from the rar file, how does it know which VirtualDub folder to put it in? Right now it's not showing up in either, but to recap, the huffyuv-mt install did show up in 1.9.11 from the rar file.

Also, some of the posts I'm reading are over a decade old so I'm concerned that it's not the latest recommendations/information, so I'm checking. Thanks!

As additional info my setup is:
Windows 10 (sorry, it's what I have) laptop, AMD A8-6410 APU quad-core
Hauppauge USB-Live 2
3 VHS decks (an Aiwa, a Samsung and a Panasonic) to play VHS and VHS-C tapes for capture
Sony EV-C25 to play Video 8 tapes for capture
JVC videocam DVL517 to play DV Cassettes it originally recorded for capture
also have 8mm and super 8mm film reels, but I think I have to take those somewhere for conversion.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-26-2021, 07:51 PM
Free Member

Probably because you're installing on a 64bit machine. You install the codec by right clicking on the unzipped huffyuv.inf and clicking install. Windows then creates a file HUFFYUV.INF in C:\Windows\INF and a file HUFFYUV.DLL in C:\Windows\System32.

-----> You need to cut HUFFYUV.DLL from C:\Windows\System32 and paste into C:\Windows\SysWOW64. You'll need administrative privileges. Then restart VirtualDub. Hopefully it will be in the list now. (Mine is called Huffyuv CCESP Patch)

You can have both the normal and -mt variants at once but if you want to get rid of the -mt anyway, delete the huffyuv_mt.inf from C:\Windows\INF and the huffyuv_mt.dll from C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

If it doesn't work then just move it back and seek further advice. Post 3 on this page could help if my advice doesn't http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...l-huffyuv.html. I think it just does the same thing in a more complicated way though.

Last edited by ItIsAScience; 05-26-2021 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Extra stuff
05-27-2021, 02:11 AM
Free Member

Thank you for the reply. I moved the file to SysWOW64 and verified that both the huffyuv files are in the proper place but no joy, it still doesn't show up as a compression option. So I deleted both those files from the C:\Windows files and started again using the admin command prompt method. That worked! Now this shows up as a compression option: huffyuv v 2.1.1 - CCESP patch v0.2.2. Thanks for the help!
05-27-2021, 05:38 AM
Free Member

Glad to hear it
05-27-2021, 06:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Install 32-bit official for capturing.

Don't use MT.
Don't use 64-bit version outside ffdshow. The 64 is for 64-bit software to read the codec, such as Premiere or MainConcept.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs