Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-08-2021, 12:11 PM
Free Member

Hello everybody. I bought an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro (to digitize VHS, of course) and put it into an Athlon XP 2400+, Win XP SP3 machine, fresh install:

the-card.jpg

I went through the guide on Hacking ATI MMC 8.7 to work on 128PRO but failed the initial driver installation. "ATI-128pro-drivers-1st-wxpw2k.rar" throws an "INF Error" during installation, telling me it can't find the card and that I should first install it with a generic VGA driver.

Prior to the installation, the GPU was shown in Device manager by its name (with an added "Ultra" suffix) and a microsoft driver, so I'm guessing that's what they meant. I tried restarting, removing the device driver, choosing to update the driver and pointing it to the exctracted driver folder (didn't work, it didn't find a driver).

I was able to complete the guide using the Rage 128 (Pro) win XP driver 6.13.3279 from here which installed ok. Device manager now shows an All-in Wonder 128 Pro AGP, driver 6.13.3279 from 9/26/2001, but nothing in the MMC really works.

The card IS shown In Multimedia Center Configuration, but selecting it does nothing and it says "(Unsupported)":

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Clicking on "TV" in the launchpad (which I'm guessing is how you get to the "MMC dock" mentioned here) just gets me the loading screen and gets stuck:

unsupported tv capture source.jpg

Any ideas what to try next? The card may of course just be faulty, I don't know. It was sold to me as "working", but who knows to what extent it was tested.

Last edited by iminwonder; 06-08-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-08-2021, 01:37 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I don't like random non-video sites for ATI drivers. That almost never ends well. Those people usually focus on the graphics card, not the AIW video aspects.

eBay's idea of "working" and "tested" is the most ridiculous BS there is. Rarely does an actual experience video user sell video gear there. What you more often get are recyclers (think Storage Wars, randomly buying units and palettes, focusing on resale $ and not condition). Video gear not working properly is not unusual. If anything, gear working properly is more rare than not. It's sad, as this wasn't the case in the 2000s or early 2010s. By mid 2010s, I saw what was happening, and that's why I got involved in hardware, so that members of this site still have access to what's needed for quality converting analog videotapes.

I've not installed a 128 Pro in at least a decade now, so no idea at this point.

MMC is just for MPEG capturing. Is that your plan, to MPEG capture? Because the Theatre 200 are better at it anyway, using a 9000s series AIW card.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-08-2021, 02:04 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I don't like random non-video sites for ATI drivers. That almost never ends well. Those people usually focus on the graphics card, not the AIW video aspects.
Agreed. Was a bit desperate.

Quote:
eBay's idea of "working" and "tested" is the most ridiculous BS there is.
True. If it ends up not working, I'll at least use the video-in cable it came with, as I should be able to get my hands on an AIW 9600 that's missing one. Not a cheap cable, but hey..

Quote:
I've not installed a 128 Pro in at least a decade now, so no idea at this point.
Understood. Thanks anyway! I've yet to try the 7000 series installation CD attached here on the forum, as I've just recently learned that it may apply to my card (from this post of yours in a similar thread to mine).

Quote:
MMC is just for MPEG capturing. Is that your plan, to MPEG capture? Because the Theatre 200 are better at it anyway, using a 9000s series AIW card.
As little compression as I can get (at a bitrate that an older sata2 HDD can handle). Based on the guides probably Huffyuv? The end product will be x265/x264, but I obviously won't be doing that on a 2003 PC real-time and pre-editing.
06-08-2021, 02:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
That ATI card should be fine for lossless in VirtualDub 1.9.x. Try that next.

I dare you to encode x265 with a 2003 PC.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
128 pro, all-in-wonder, driver