Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-08-2021, 01:16 PM
Free Member

Hello! I have been lurking the forums and accumulating the equipment and now I am about to start capturing my videos.

My workflow is: JVC SR-V10 Based -> ES10 -> Happauge Clone ATI -> (Windows 10 computer)

I am planning to go off of this guide and settings provided by this site:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...virtualdub.htm

I have several questions that should help me get started with this!

1. What are the optimal settings to configure on the JVC and the ES10 before I do anything with VirtualDub?
2. Do I need to set up VirtualDub settings (crop/mask, set filters included by LordSmurf) before executing capture? Or can this be done with the huffyuv avi file after I capture?
3. Do I need to utilize deinterlacing? Set it up before capture on VirtualDub or afterwards with the avi file?

Thank you for your help!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-08-2021, 01:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Never deinterlace during capture.
Deint after capture depends on use.
If TV viewing, never.
If streaming/Youtube, last step after all restore/edit, QTGMC during Hybrid encode to final H264 (MP4/MKV)

ES10 has almost no settings. Black levels may need to be adjusted, but decision is partially content based. The NR needs to be turned "off", just realize it's still on (on=high,off=low). ES10/15 NR is aggressive, has motion artifacts.

VirtaulDub, no filters during a capture. None. All filter/restore is done post-capture.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-08-2021, 02:14 PM
Free Member

Noted, thank you sir!

I needed to clear up some of my ignorance, so if I wanted to watch on my computer offline, I don’t need to deinterlace?

Also, as you mentioned within VirtualDub, all of the filter/restore is done after capture, does this also include the cropping/masking of the artifacts on the extreme edges of the screen? I hear this is a must do?

Thank you!
06-08-2021, 02:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Deint not needed for offline computer viewing, simply use VLC or MPC as the player.

I've tried the crop/mask during capture, as it's a low-resource filter. But still, it would induce some dropped frames. For just this filter, the re-encode time is mostly limited by the speed of your drives. I encode on SSDs, not using my capture system. So time involved is not really bad. It's better than having to stop a capture, because of drops, and start over.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs