digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   ATI 600 vs. Tevion vs. Hauppauge USB-Live2? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/11951-ati-600-vs.html)

mbassiouny 06-16-2021 03:26 AM

ATI 600 vs. Tevion vs. Hauppauge USB-Live2?

Hi,

I have a usb-live2 from Hauppauge, but I am looking to upgrade to a better card.

So I was wondering if the ATI 600 is really a better card? Have anyone tried to compare them before?
Does it have audio issues like Hauppauge?

Also is the Tevion clone just as good as the ATI 600, simply different rebranding? any caveats? is it inferior to the original ATI 600?

lordsmurf 06-16-2021 04:51 AM

You've been asking lots of questions lately -- which is good. But at some point, you start to over-think and over-analyze. You're starting to enter that realm.

Most video hardware "clones" are not 1:1, but rather share a large % of the chips (and on-chip firmware/software). If it were 1:1, it'd be a rebadge, not a clone. So a Tevion is not an ATI with a pretty Tevion sticker over an ATI brand marking.

When you say "issues like Hauppauge", I don't know what you refer to. Hauppauge is a brand, not a specific capture card. The irony of that statement is that companies like Tevion didn't use model numbers, so you have dozens of Tevion cards, almost al of which are NOT actually ATI clones at all.

Hauppauge (and Pinnacle) did something really dumb: Both companies reused model numbers. So you cannot buy ### and expect the same card. Odds are high that a "Live2" isn't a Live2, seeing as how that model card has existed for almost a decade now. FYI, chips generally are NOT available that long.

Testing is fun and all, but at what point do you actually want to capture video?

mbassiouny 06-16-2021 05:15 AM

I apologize for the trouble and your time...

Quote:

you start to over-think and over-analyze
Trust me, it's a persistent issue with me, and not just about video, to the point of not finishing projects sometimes because I am not satisfied and I want to analyze and optimize more...

Quote:

When you say "issues like Hauppauge", I don't know what you refer to. Hauppauge is a brand
I actually meant my specific Hauppauge unit.

Quote:

If it were 1:1, it'd be a rebadge, not a clone
Thanks, that's the technicality I was asking about.

Quote:

Testing is fun and all, but at what point do you actually want to capture video?
I myself, ain't sure... I want to capture, but I ended up trying to learn every single detail about every possible piece of equipment, which is not possible there is a lot, I know... I have this capturing project since 2013... captured with advc, figured it's bad, tried again with different card, it was bad lossy captures, tried again last year but this time using lossless instead of DV/lossy capturing, figured it could be improved more, and therefore I am looking for the best possible hardware I can afford. Also I am not an occasional user, so the "buy, use, re-sell" won't work for me as I keep the equipment, that's why I worry about cost

Dunno if it is a helpful information to pick the more suited card, but I believe cards performance may vary depending on source, and the source in my case is commercial tapes. not home-recorded videos.

Also is the ATI 600 worth the 50% more than the Tevion clone? :question: or is the difference really not that visible?

lordsmurf 06-16-2021 05:43 AM

In addition to helping, sometimes I'll be a reality check. ;)

We have enough rabbit holes in this hobby, without a person needlessly making more. Because capture cards really are not that complicated. You have terrible, decent/good, and a few exceptional (AIW).

I used to be that way myself, overthink, over-research, but with age has come the ability to stop (and still make a good selection).

I've been doing video for almost 30 years now, digital for 20+, and even I don't know everything. Some stuff I have intimate knowledge (including non-public info), others a passing knowledge, and some no clue (but in general, the "no clue" is because it was immediately obviously not worth time to learn more, dead end VCR/TBC/card etc).

Capture cards is actually heavily depends on OS these days, source next.

Valuations of some items depends on factors that have nothing to do with the quality of the item. Cost alone is rarely a good idea when buying video gear. There is expensive junk, and lower-cost awesomeness. Not just expensive good, and cheap junk. There are reason to like the ATI 600 USB over clones, as well as reason to like clones more than the ATI. For your exact situation, I gave that suggestion in PM. For a capture card, anything under $200 is a good price.

mbassiouny 06-16-2021 05:48 AM

Quote:

I used to be that way myself, overthink, over-research, but with age has come the ability to stop
With age comes wisdom :)

Gotcha, thanks for your help here, I will pm you :wink2: (and thanks for the help in the other thread on my Hauppauge card I won't reply there to avoid spamming the forum with too many bumps of my threads)

lollo2 06-16-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Have anyone tried to compare them before?
Here some captures from ATI 600 USB and Diamond VC500; not the Hauppauge USB-Live 2, but it uses the same Conextant 23102 video chip: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...on-screenshots

Some other captures from ATI 600 USB here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...on-screenshots

Both (exellent) post for user msgohan/brad ;-)

mbassiouny 06-16-2021 05:11 PM

Thanks a lot for your useful links lollo2!