Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-20-2021, 10:44 PM
Free Member

I got a new VCR (JVC SR-MV45) from LordSmurf almost two weeks ago and I'm in love. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU LS THIS VCR IS AMAZINGGGGG

It's blows my old D-VHS deck out of the water quality wise!

D-VHS Deck (HM-DH30000U)
dvhsdeckep.png

SR-MV45
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

If you're considering getting a D-VHS deck for standard VHS transfers, don't. You'll have a bad time.

I do have some observations and some questions about this because I'm somewhat new to using JVC's with a *proper* TBC and not some half-ass TBC like the D-VHS deck had.

I had one issue on my D-VHS deck where out of nowhere the image would just start jumping along like crazy, like a weird field order switch or whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMzoEnAA3EY
I have yet to encounter that issue with the new VCR y̶e̶t̶.

EP tracking is hit or miss. This is one of LS's B+ decks (tracks SP and LP fine, EP depends). No fault of anyone. I got some EP tapes that have some shows and doing the manual tracking while capturing is a bit of a pain since it can't really hold it when I rewind to the beginning. It's a bit of a pain but I'll manage

I've also noticed that the brightness sometimes goes up slightly and goes back down. It's not an issue of my capture card because I also notice it when I have it hooked up to my CRT. Is this normal?

Had an issue where the VCR crinkled a tape a little :/ Happened when I was fast forwarding through the tape and I guess it went off track then came back on with some damage. It's nothing important but its still weird. I did use it almost nonstop for the first three days though, so that's probably why. I've let it sit for a day or two between transfers now. Hasn't happened since.

One thing I'll miss about using the D-VHS deck, as terrible as it was, it did output a fairly clean signal from the S-Video ports. I think it digitizes the signal before it's sent out, so that's probably why. The non-D-VHS decks just output pure raw-dog analog. Miss seeing 0 or 2 inserted frames a transfer But that's perfectly normal because analog video Sucks Poo Poo Kinda™. Other than that, my captures were fine. No dropped frames, just the occasional inserts when the tape hiccups. Everything's in sync. I switched to capturing on my XP machine with huffyuv, so that helps a lot.

On that topic, I'm going to need a frame TBC. I've been looking at the Datavideo MP-6000. It was a DVD recorder but I saw that someone on another side uses it as a TBC, and I found a delisted eBay auction that says that the TBC is just as good as a TBC-1000. Has anyone tried it out as a frame TBC? If so, how's the results? Does it work well? If not I'll just save up for a TBC-1000.

Another TBC-related thing: I'm finally able to use my Panasonic DMR-ES15 for tapes that exhibit the dreaded tearing issue that plagues JVC TBCs. You couldn't turn it off on the D-VHS decks (another reason why you should stay far far far far far away from them for transfer). However, it's so much more noisier because of the noise reduction being locked to the TBC. Kind of a pain to clean it up in post but I'll manage.

Another issue I've experienced with the TBC off+ES15 setup is this line at the top. Feels like ghost-tearing to me (even though I completely made that term up). Is this normal?
mv45ep.png

I'll add on to the thread as I find more stuff. Other than the minor issues I've experienced, I'm in love

Last edited by ENunn; 06-20-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-20-2021, 11:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Glad to read this post, and thanks for sharing samples.

I've never liked the D-VHS, not JVC or Mitsubishi or otherwise, and this is why. TBC is not as good (sometimes even a problem), NR not as good, LP/EP rarely plays well.

When VCR heads heat up, from overuse, bad things can happen. The hot heads can cause the thin tape to slightly alter shape, and "eating" can happen. Also remember that B+ is a statement of tracking, alignment, head condition. Head conditions makes alignment trickier (thus ability to track well). So it must be tweaked, to make as best as possible. Misalignment is easier, and too much misalignment can cause bad things to happen. When you FF/REW while playing, it misaligns some. So FF/REW while play + overheated deck = potential for very bad things to happen.

On older tapes, like BASF, a head that is too hot, or too cold, will literally strip oxide off the tape.

The AGC between models, and even decks, differs some. CRT TV can still feel the effects of timing errors, and can throw off the luma gain, it's not 100% immune, just mostly. And it could still be your capture card (what card?). TBC may still smooth that out.

That blue line is a top-of-frame error, not too different from tearing. Just mask it, move on. It's almost never worth filtering, and will never entirely correct anyway.

Tearing on not caused by JVC VCRs, but the tapes. The JVC line TBC simply is not strong enough to correct tearing. Even the Panasonic AG-1980 field TBC often is not, or will on/off the tearing.

eBay is full of idiots that know nothing about VCRs, TBCs, or video whatsoever. The MP-6000 has the latter non-consumer-source TBC-5000/DVK type TBC. It's weak, and chokes on videotapes, especially EP mode VHS and nth gen sources. It's easy to spot -- those units are all blue boxes. The blue box DataVideos have almost nothing in common with the TBC-100/1000/3000/etc. The 5000 type can work fine with perfect SP mastery type sources (not made on home camcorders/VCRs), with a strong line TBC (usually Panasonic, maybe JVC but it's hit-or-miss). But for EP/nth/etc, forget it.

Yep, the NR from the Panasonic ES10/15 isn't ideal. I say this over and over. It's nice to read that somebody else sees it, acknowledges it. It's not slight or faint, but obvious. And contrary to some folks stating it can be "turned off", that is not true -- and I don't care what the manual says (user manuals are often wrong, missing info, etc). The "on" is strong, while "off" is weaker -- but it's still there. The only time that the ES10/15 is suggested is when the net result is better video, aka anti-tearing. Aside from anti-tearing, the ES10/15 really has no place in a quality workflow. It can work as a "poor man's TBC" (strong+crippled line TBC with non-TBC frame sync), but it's very hit-or-miss (especially without the DVK to make a full TBC'ish), and degrades quality compared to the source.

Inserted frames are still a kind of dropped frame. VirtualDub adds an insert to prevent loss of sync, but the drop happened. When VirtualDub gets overrun, it can both insert and drop, or just gives up and drops.

PM me about TBC options.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: ENunn (06-20-2021)
06-21-2021, 12:26 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
When VCR heads heat up, from overuse, bad things can happen. The hot heads can cause the thin tape to slightly alter shape, and "eating" can happen. Also remember that B+ is a statement of tracking, alignment, head condition. Head conditions makes alignment trickier (thus ability to track well). So it must be tweaked, to make as best as possible. Misalignment is easier, and too much misalignment can cause bad things to happen. When you FF/REW while playing, it misaligns some. So FF/REW while play + overheated deck = potential for very bad things to happen.
Noted.

Quote:
On older tapes, like BASF, a head that is too hot, or too cold, will literally strip oxide off the tape.
Yikes

Quote:
The AGC between models, and even decks, differs some. CRT TV can still feel the effects of timing errors, and can throw off the luma gain, it's not 100% immune, just mostly. And it could still be your capture card (what card?). TBC may still smooth that out.
IO-DATA GV-USB2. Been using it since I started transferring tapes with my old Quasar + ES15 combo. Gets the job done. Been using it ever since and it's a good card. Although I'm thinking about switching to a PCI or PCI-E card since I've switched to my XP machine for capture (XP machine doesn't have an AGP slot).

Quote:
That blue line is a top-of-frame error, not too different from tearing. Just mask it, move on. It's almost never worth filtering, and will never entirely correct anyway.
I was never really comfortable cropping/masking off the tearing or other issues on the top. Don't know why. I'll keep that in mind, it's not like people would notice it if they're watching the tape on a CRT because of the overscan

Quote:
Tearing on not caused by JVC VCRs, but the tapes. The JVC line TBC simply is not strong enough to correct tearing. Even the Panasonic AG-1980 field TBC often is not, or will on/off the tearing.
Ah

Quote:
eBay is full of idiots that know nothing about VCRs, TBCs, or video whatsoever. The MP-6000 has the latter non-consumer-source TBC-5000/DVK type TBC. It's weak, and chokes on videotapes, especially EP mode VHS and nth gen sources. It's easy to spot -- those units are all blue boxes. The blue box DataVideos have almost nothing in common with the TBC-100/1000/3000/etc. The 5000 type can work fine with perfect SP mastery type sources (not made on home camcorders/VCRs), with a strong line TBC (usually Panasonic, maybe JVC but it's hit-or-miss). But for EP/nth/etc, forget it.
Damn So much for the dude being a "professional video editor" :/

Quote:
Yep, the NR from the Panasonic ES10/15 isn't ideal. I say this over and over. It's nice to read that somebody else sees it, acknowledges it. It's not slight or faint, but obvious. And contrary to some folks stating it can be "turned off", that is not true -- and I don't care what the manual says (user manuals are often wrong, missing info, etc). The "on" is strong, while "off" is weaker -- but it's still there.
Pretty much. I don't really mind the added noise since I always denoise in AviSynth (mitigating it, but not completely removing it), so I'm not too worried about it.

Quote:
It can work as a "poor man's TBC" (strong+crippled line TBC with non-TBC frame sync), but it's very hit-or-miss (especially without the DVK to make a full TBC'ish), and degrades quality compared to the source.
Agreed. Worked fine for my Quasar VCR, but not ideal. I noticed the slightly degraded quality, although last time I compared with my D-VHS deck plugged into it compared to directly to my capture card, I only noticed it when I went back and forth between the two. If I only watched the footage from the ES15, I honestly wouldn't tell if it was direct or not. But that's just me I've actually seen some of my friends prefer the ES10/15's TBC compared to the JVC's, but I think they got their VCRs off eBay, so I don't know the condition of them.

Quote:
Inserted frames are still a kind of dropped frame. VirtualDub adds an insert to prevent loss of sync, but the drop happened. When VirtualDub gets overrun, it can both insert and drop, or just gives up and drops.
True, at least it's not going up like mad, it only goes crazy when the tape isn't tracked. Other than that, 1 every once in a while. Would being offline on my XP machine help? I usually do network file transfer between my XP machine and my main PC.

Quote:
PM me about TBC options.
Will do
06-21-2021, 01:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENunn View Post
it's not like people would notice it if they're watching the tape on a CRT because of the overscan
HDTVs have overscan, too!

Quote:
Damn So much for the dude being a "professional video editor" :/
Oh, he may be a pro video editor. But editing video isn't the same skill as capturing. He may "also do" capturing, but I would suggest not very well. Or more likely, more limited sources, and not well versed in the gear's breaking points.

Quote:
Pretty much. I don't really mind the added noise since I always denoise in AviSynth (mitigating it, but not completely removing it), so I'm not too worried about it.
One of the main issues with ES10/15 is that the color palette is compressed in the NR, posterized, You can't easily, or at all, unring that bell.

Quote:
Would being offline on my XP machine help? I usually do network file transfer between my XP machine and my main PC.
Never have a capture system online whatsoever.

In fact, install the Win8 Firewall (nothing to do with Win8, terrible software name!) from Sphinx.
The free version. http://www.sphinx-soft.com/download/W8FC6.5/
Monitor it for activity.
Don't just block network attempts, but entirely disable anything you can, sometimes outright uninstalling PITA software that insists on trying to phone home/out.

BTW: The "Win10 Firewall" works great on Win7/8/10, I use this. But XP needs the "Win8" version.

07-01-2021, 02:23 PM
Free Member

Another observation that I've noticed. Whenever I run tapes through my ES15 (problematic tapes of course), there's this terrible flicker. This never happened to me when I used my old Quasar on this thing. Is this normal? Sample's attached. This only happens when I use my ES15 with the TBC off. TBC on doesn't have the problem.

Attached Files
File Type: mkv flickeres15.mkv (57.97 MB, 13 downloads)
07-01-2021, 02:55 PM
Free Member

I don't see any flicker in the sample.
07-01-2021, 03:01 PM
Free Member

I'll admit it's a bit hard to tell while it's playing, but when you go frame by frame it's noticeable.
07-01-2021, 04:09 PM
Free Member

I have observed a bit of flicker on the PAL ES10 on a few occastions on a tape where the top of the video signal was extremely messed up. That was on a very extreme case though.
08-08-2021, 09:15 PM
Free Member

Found out that the flickering is just a TBC-off issue. :/ I have a better video example attached. What a shame. It gets really bad sometimes. flickerexample.mkv

Another issue. I have a tape that's physically damaged. I think it has something to do with the control track. It's an EP tape. Sometimes it'll speed up randomly for no reason, sometimes show the blue back but have audio. Really annoying. Is there anything I can do here?
PXL_20210809_005601714.jpg
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Another issue. Does the MV45 have issues with heat? There's a tape that has the nasty tearing issue, however it is fixed when I take the lid off the VCR, or when I leave it off for a while, or when it just wants to not tear. It happened on my D-VHS deck as well. I have it right next to my PC but I have plenty of breathing room in the back. Only thing that's on it is my ES15.
speedupexample1.mkv

08-08-2021, 10:30 PM
Free Member

Forgot to add before the edit time expired:

I've always used NORM for the picture mode. Looks great with the TBC on. TBC off, not so much.

IMO, noise wise (not talking about softness/sharpness), my old Quasar looked better than the MV45 with the TBC off.

Is this normal? This just doesn't look right. Hope LS can chime in.

MV45 TBC off to ES15
daily show 4 1 98 archive.org015203.png

Quasar VHQ-950 to ES15

Last edited by ENunn; 08-08-2021 at 11:03 PM.
08-09-2021, 12:22 AM
Free Member

From the missing horizontal green lines, it appears that the Quasar somehow cleaned up the signal even without a TBC. What I don't like about the Quasar image are the ringing artifacts from sharpening.
08-09-2021, 12:27 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traal View Post
From the missing horizontal green lines, it appears that the Quasar somehow cleaned up the signal even without a TBC. What I don't like about the Quasar image are the ringing artifacts from sharpening.
Yeah, that's the worst part about the VCR. I prefer the image of the MV45 because of that, however its just all the extra noise when the TBC is off that gets me. Some frames will look alright, then the next frame it'll go haywire. I feel like something's wrong.
08-09-2021, 12:27 AM
Free Member

From the picture the control track is damaged so the VCR defaults to SP speed and you get the chipmunks.
08-10-2021, 07:08 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
From the picture the control track is damaged so the VCR defaults to SP speed and you get the chipmunks.
Figured that. Is there anything I can do to get it to play back normally?

I found the culprit of my TBC-off noise issue.
Get this, having my picture control set to NORM causes the problem. What???

NORM
amarec(20210810-2350)003628.png

EDIT

Ignore the weird change in brightness. Messing around with capture settings at the moment. Focus on the noise.

I guess I'll be changing my picture mode to edit if I need to use my ES15. Anyone know why this happens? Paging LS.

08-11-2021, 05:10 AM
Free Member

Yeah that's a bit odd, especially the green lines, one would normally expect EDIT to be more noisy as it turns off most of the noise reduction and video post-processing so maybe something's gone screwy with the analog noise reduction?

Does turning video calibration on/off have any impact? And is R3 on or off?
08-11-2021, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Yep, the NR from the Panasonic ES10/15 isn't ideal. I say this over and over. It's nice to read that somebody else sees it, acknowledges it. It's not slight or faint, but obvious. And contrary to some folks stating it can be "turned off", that is not true -- and I don't care what the manual says (user manuals are often wrong, missing info, etc). The "on" is strong, while "off" is weaker -- but it's still there. The only time that the ES10/15 is suggested is when the net result is better video, aka anti-tearing. Aside from anti-tearing, the ES10/15 really has no place in a quality workflow. It can work as a "poor man's TBC" (strong+crippled line TBC with non-TBC frame sync), but it's very hit-or-miss (especially without the DVK to make a full TBC'ish), and degrades quality compared to the source.
Yes you say it over and over, and yet not once have you ever provided any example of it yourself. Dating all the way back to Videohelp discussions on this topic at least a decade ago. If memory serves right, the posterization myth that is commonly brought up was completely disproved there with specific tests (as well as the totally absurd MPEG2 encoding myth on output). From the sounds of it, I am betting that ENunn is not even aware of the option to turn off the NR because if any traces of it do remain after disabling, then they are barely noticeable.

To say this device has no place in a "quality workflow" is also frankly absurd. Regarding full frame TBC performance, the only dedicated device I would ever recommend is the TBC-1000 which is indeed has very good performance. And yet, in my experience the ES10 still performs better for this purpose. Perhaps I should upload samples sometime. But even if the performance was comparable, the price is certainly not. I bought my TBC-1000 brand new for under $300 AUD and now I see the going price on eBay for up to 2K which is absolutely ridiculous. You would surely know the cost of these units now too. ES10 on the other hand can still be acquired cheap.
08-11-2021, 08:57 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Does turning video calibration on/off have any impact? And is R3 on or off?
Nah, it doesn't. R3 is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
Yes you say it over and over, and yet not once have you ever provided any example of it yourself. Dating all the way back to Videohelp discussions on this topic at least a decade ago. If memory serves right, the posterization myth that is commonly brought up was completely disproved there with specific tests (as well as the totally absurd MPEG2 encoding myth on output).
I don't know if this is posterization but I definitely notice difference between straight to capture card compared to running to the ES15.

VCR Straight to Capture Card
amarec(20210812-0845)001146.png

VCR to ES15 to Capture Card

TBC is on in both cases. Will the average joe notice? Probably not.

Quote:
From the sounds of it, I am betting that ENunn is not even aware of the option to turn off the NR because if any traces of it do remain after disabling, then they are barely noticeable.
I'm aware, I always have it off

08-11-2021, 09:05 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Yes you say it over and over, and yet not once have you ever provided any example of it yourself. Dating all the way back to Videohelp discussions on this topic at least a decade ago. If memory serves right,
I've surely shared samples at various times, but it's not curated, since it's posted on user forums. In very recent times, due to some extremely detailed TBC testing, I do have captures that shows various errors of ES10/15, with/without DVK pairing, and compared to actual TBCs. The differences are obvious.

The bigger issue is that I'm not trying to prove anything to anybody. Too many posters on various forums are entitled, and demand "proof" of this or that, as if I work for them. No, I'm sharing my findings. Trying to curate and share the data that has resulted in those findings isn't an easy task, especially due to my health issues, which limit my time far more than those who are making these demands on my time. Unpaid, of course. I do want to do this, but it's not a priority. In the 2000s, before my health issues at the start of the 2010s, I did provide way more samples of things, and at more sites (some of which are now gone, so it was a wasted effort in the end, wouldn't you say?)

Quote:
the posterization myth
It's not a myth, and many others have seen this as well -- plus ample other artifacts from ES10/15. Just this week, the issue with unusually high (excessive) frame dupe/insert was pointed out at VH, by another poster.

Quote:
(as well as the totally absurd MPEG2 encoding myth on output).
Quite a few DVD recorders encode MPEG prior to analog output, but the ES10/15 isn't one of them. The blocks are an obvious giveaway on those units. The ES10/15 does, however, heavily filter, so I can see how others may have believed it encoded to MPEG prior to output.

Quote:
From the sounds of it, I am betting that ENunn is not even aware of the option to turn off the NR because if any traces of it do remain after disabling, then they are barely noticeable.
"barely noticeable" = an acknowledgement that it's not turned off. As I've said for years now, "off" = low NR, and "on" = high NR. It's not off, period, ever. How it affects the video depends entirely on the source. Yes, sometimes it's not really an issue. Other times, it's atrocious, and butchers the hell out of the image.

Quote:
To say this device has no place in a "quality workflow" is also frankly absurd.
I agree, and I've never stated anything of the sort. It's a near-magical item for removing tearing. The net result is better video. It both harms and corrects the image. But the benefits for tearing far exceed the downsides. However, those downsides is why it should never be used as a so-called "TBC replacement". Some do it, due to budget limits, or due to having just a handful of tapes, and that's fine, I understand. Others with catalogs of tapes are just cheapskates, unwilling to spend even when funds are available, so they butcher video as a result of their skinflintedness.

Quote:
Regarding full frame TBC performance, the only dedicated device I would ever recommend is the TBC-1000 which is indeed has very good performance. And yet, in my experience the ES10 still performs better for this purpose. Perhaps I should upload samples sometime. But even if the performance was comparable, the price is certainly not. I bought my TBC-1000 brand new for under $300 AUD and now I see the going price on eBay for up to 2
The TBC-1000 isn't the best TBC. It's a good TBC, one of the best (for consumer analog tape conversion needs), but still far from actual "best". Unfortunately, most of the best TBCs are rarer, such as the 3rd gen TBC-3000, or the early BV10. And even the green AVT-8710 is arguably better in some usage scenarios. As I mentioned on VH, too many users (newbies especially) gravitate towards the TBC-1000 without any real thought, and often knee-jerk buy it when another TBC would have been better (and maybe cheaper).

$300 AUD was less than half MSRP of the TBC-1000, and even for those few years (almost a decade ago) when TBC prices were unusually down, $300 AUD (aka about $150 USD at that time) was insanely low. When exactly, and where exactly, did you buy that?

08-11-2021, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

So what alternative is left? A weak DVK? AVT-8710? I see you still recommend it these days for reasons I don't understand. It is absolute garbage, not only does it introduce freezing and ghosting on even good sources but also completely alters color via proc amp that cannot be disabled. I have owned both the AVT and the Cypress variant and they perform just the same. Perhaps early 2000s models did have a good chip, but I have never seen it myself and if they do exist, they likely go for a considerable sum. Other than that you have pro broadcast TBCs which should never be recommended to any novice period.

It is a quite a shame that ES10, one of the best pieces of hardware for analog capture is entirely dismissed on here as "crippled" when both axes of TBC outperform the majority of options. Maybe one of these days you will finally show evidence of this destructive NR or posterization, but I highly doubt it. It's ironic you recommend JVC VCRs for their line TBC - which does have truly destructive NR that can't be disabled - but yet ES10 is too much somehow.

Quote:
The bigger issue is that I'm not trying to prove anything to anybody. Too many posters on various forums are entitled, and demand "proof" of this or that, as if I work for them.
It's not a matter of entitlement, it is simply that I have seen you make these claims for about 10 years now but never seen you actually back them up with hard evidence. Even when others do the proper testing and show it is not the case. ES10 was extensively tested on German doom9 forum and this would have certainly been a topic of interest if it was such an issue.

Quote:
"barely noticeable" = an acknowledgement that it's not turned off. As I've said for years now, "off" = low NR, and "on" = high NR. It's not off, period, ever. How it affects the video depends entirely on the source. Yes, sometimes it's not really an issue. Other times, it's atrocious, and butchers the hell out of the image.
It is not that some of the AV-In NR stays on, but rather that some degree of NR is typically inherent to line TBCs in general. Some aspects of the image are indeed altered, namely hiding tape degradation in the form of streaks / comets etc. It is certainly not the kind of NR that a JVC line TBC has which I would absolutely notice, but that is not the case for the ES10.

Quote:
However, those downsides is why it should never be used as a so-called "TBC replacement". Some do it, due to budget limits, or due to having just a handful of tapes, and that's fine, I understand.
Well in terms of "budget limits" I think that anyone who is simply looking to stabilize their own collection of home videos would have to be either wealthy or insane to spend thousands of dollars on a full frame TBC these days. Even IF the ES10 did have all the issues you claim, it would still be the infinitely more sensible option.

Quote:
As I mentioned on VH, too many users (newbies especially) gravitate towards the TBC-1000 without any real thought, and often knee-jerk buy it when another TBC would have been better (and maybe cheaper).
That is the problem right there however. There are no other good TBCs for a) any reasonable price or b) appropriate for anyone who isn't a video professional.

Quote:
$300 AUD was less than half MSRP of the TBC-1000, and even for those few years (almost a decade ago) when TBC prices were unusually down, $300 AUD (aka about $150 USD at that time) was insanely low. When exactly, and where exactly, did you buy that?
I bought it from Videoguys Australia in 2012. I remember I had actually ordered the TBC-100 PCI card from them but they sent me the TBC-1000 instead. I did not complain
The following users thank Jarvis for this useful post: msgohan (08-11-2021)
08-11-2021, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

The HM-DH30000U doesn't seem like JVC's "best effort". Its plagued with reliability issues compared to other DVHS decks. I don't have one here so I can't comment on its quality. I do have a SR-VD400US (HM-DH40000U) and its TBC is very different from the SVHS decks and the earlier HM-DH30000U. It can't be turned off, but appears to offer pass-thru capabilities on the VCR's inputs like some DVD recorders do. The whole VCR appears to be based around the LSI DiMeNsion chipset.