digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Picture wrong, audio distorted ATI VirtualDub? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/12016-picture-wrong-audio.html)

Ohank 07-13-2021 03:02 AM

Picture wrong, audio distorted ATI VirtualDub?

1 Attachment(s)
After a year break I'm restarting trying to archive PAL 8mm tapes using ATI 600 and Vdub. I sort of had it going before the break except there was still some speeding up and slowing down of audio. Really not sure where to begin on how wrong this is. The picture is clear as I look through the video camera viewfinder but 1/4 of the picture on the PC is a part of the picture above. This is the 2nd try and both were the same. https://youtu.be/Qs6_lGyLORQ Before beginning I defragged the C+D main drives of the XP Laptop and am using Vdub 1.9.11. Thanks for any help with this.

lordsmurf 07-13-2021 04:14 AM

The settings are wrong.

Check these:
- PAL/NTSC
- resolution
- frame rate

Look for those in capture pin/filter (Video> menu), custom resolution, and the main window bottom right.

Ohank 07-13-2021 12:27 PM

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I'm not familiar with these settings. I see now. I had to first go to "capture AVI" then to video. So I changed it to PAL in filter, which changed capture pin. Now main window shows 48k/16 25.00fp 2213kb. Not sure what I should do with "custom resolution". Just started a capture and it shows the picture right. I'll report back after seeing the capture. Thanks.

Ohank 07-13-2021 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohank (Post 78602)
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I'm not familiar with these settings. I see now. I had to first go to "capture AVI" then to video. So I changed it to PAL in filter, which changed capture pin. Now main window shows 48k/16 25.00fp 2213kb. Not sure what I should do with "custom resolution". Just started a capture and it shows the picture right. I'll report back after seeing the capture. Thanks.

Picture seems pretty good to my eye. After a few minutes of capturing the audio doesn't seem to be going from fast to slow but it's way out of sync with the singing? https://youtu.be/1xBy2WYAKYE

Hushpower 07-13-2021 07:00 PM

Set the Custom Resolution to 720x576.:congrats:

Ohank 07-13-2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hushpower (Post 78604)
Set the Custom Resolution to 720x576.:congrats:

Is custom video format the same as custom resolution? It's currently set to 720x576. I'm having trouble finding custom resolution. Also when I restarted vdub the capture filter had switched back to ntsc. I just noticed, as I was switching it to PAL that there are many choices for PAL (B,D,G,H). I just looked up what Germany uses (where I got the camera) and it said B/G. So I guess I'm OK with B?
Will any of these have any effect on the audio being out of sync? That's a huge problem for me since nearly all these tapes to be archived involve music. Thanks

Hushpower 07-13-2021 10:03 PM

Yes sorry, probably not very clear there.

Video>Capture Filter to PAL_B ?? Might need to try _G

Video>capture PIN> Output size will probably be stuck on 320x240. Leave it.

Video>Set Custom Format to 720x576.

Finger's crossed on the audio sync! From what I've read, it depends to a certain degree on the capture card/stick. AmarecTV is a fallback if VDub captures are out of sync (or you can't stretch the audio in your video editor).

You haven't mentioned what video codec you're using; I suggest Lagarith or HUFFYUV. Your captures will then be lossless but not massively huge file sizes (Lag and Huff are about 40gb per hour), "uncompressed" is 5 times that IIRC.

There used to be a very good, detailed guide for capturing with VDub on this site by Sanlyn but I can't find it at the moment.

Ohank 07-14-2021 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't get far with that Ameractv. I would switch it to PAL and it would always switch it back to ntsc. While I was reading someone else attempts with it I saw them mention turning off all previews ,audio and video. In Vdub I already had audio off but then turned overlay off under video. I saw an in sync capture of a few minutes. Right at the end, when I hit stop capture there was a huge distortion (sort of like if you put your finger lightly on a spinning record). Maybe that had something to do with me hitting stop capture? Attached what I have for compression. Vdub will switch to PAL (So far I just have to do that every time I open Vdub). So now I'm going to just blindly capture a tape and see if it's in sync. Thanks.

Ohank 07-14-2021 03:53 AM

I did one complete tape capture and the sound is in sync. It's been such a long time since I last had time to work on archiving these tapes I'd forgotten a few things I'd learned. I'm basically a beginner at this anyway. What I remember is that some of the tapes would have different recordings on them. If it switched from one to the other it threw it off. So I'll have to try to stop it when a different recording starts. Thanks!

Hushpower 07-14-2021 04:51 AM

Glad you got it going! :)

Ohank 08-20-2021 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohank (Post 78611)
I did one complete tape capture and the sound is in sync. It's been such a long time since I last had time to work on archiving these tapes I'd forgotten a few things I'd learned. I'm basically a beginner at this anyway. What I remember is that some of the tapes would have different recordings on them. If it switched from one to the other it threw it off. So I'll have to try to stop it when a different recording starts. Thanks!

Actually, I'd misremembered that. It was MiniDV tapes that had multiple recording sessions on one tape that I had to stop and start a new capture. I don't notice that so far on the 8mm/Hi8.

Ohank 01-26-2022 08:14 PM

I'm back on this project. I just tried a Hi8 capture using Virtualdub, ATI600. Right now, after a thump, the svid port is working. I just tried a capture and all is pretty good except the audio is slightly out of sync. Should overlay be of in Vdub? There was some other setting maybe that affects audio being out of sync? Thanks