Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-08-2021, 11:36 AM
Free Member

Hello!

My August VGB100 had suddenly stopped displaying video, and so I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers from their website, but the audio is crispy and regularly breaks for a short second. Before this happened, I had a driver named "Analog Audio In (USB 2.0)..." but I can't seem to find anything with that name. I am now stuck with an audio capture driver which outputs crusty audio, and for captures, this sucks...

I'd like to ask if anyone could help me with that, as I've been trying to find anything that worked but I'm a newbie in terms of driver stuff

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-08-2021, 11:55 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
August VGB100 = Easycap (aka Easycrap)

Honestly, humorously, the card did you a favor by uninstalling itself. You need to use something better. It has multiple drastic issues, both with quality and usability. The most damning issue is that it blows out luma, overexposes captures. Everything is too bright, and it looks terrible.

That's literally a $4 capture card that sells for $40 rebadged on eBay/Amazon. But it's not even worth $4, must less 10x.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-08-2021, 12:06 PM
Free Member

It's not an easycap, it's based on the same hardware as the Diamond VC500 afaik. (Though I do think they had another model that used a similar empia+video chip hardware setup similar to pinnacle dazzle and maybe some easycap variants.)

One thing you can do to search for different/older drivers for a specific device is to google for the device hardware id string found in the device manager (though be vary of sketchy driver websites).

Idk about the VGB100 specifically, but with the VC500, hauppage, elgato etc variants using similar chips the windows drivers lack support for adjusting audio levels and the default is a bit high, which easily leads to clipping/distorted audio unless you use a volume control or something to lower the volume. (Adjusting audio works 100% fine on the VC500 on linux so it's just a driver thing, haven't seen any windows ones that let you adjust it.)
10-08-2021, 12:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
August is a no-name rebadger like Tevion. So in terms of internals, highly variable.

For the moment, let's assume I'm wrong, and it really is a VC500 rebadge. But the VC500 has problems too, highly variable production. Lots of AGC issue reports, various video and audio issues. So the advice remain unchanged. Seek a better card, a more reliable card. Less variables, more consistent. It's the question I often ask: How much is your time (and sanity) worth to you? Do you want to capture video, or screw around with the capture card?

Yes, be wary of unofficial "driver download sites". Nothing good ever comes from those.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-09-2021, 12:29 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the feedback! I simply had to uninstall and reinstall the drivers completely using the software, and not
by uninstalling them using the device manager.

I learned a lot with those three responses, and I'd like to ask, what capture device could I use to have
better results in terms of image quality?