Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-11-2021, 10:49 PM
Premium Member

I hunted around and didn't find anything, so thought I would ask-Are there any cheaper JVC models that I can scavenge mechanism parts from to use in the 9800u? I'm guessing all the 9xxx's are similar, but they are also the most expensive. I want to get all the plastic gears that crack with age, brake felt and pinch rollers for future repairs.

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-12-2021, 08:56 PM
Free Member

At least for the PAL side of things, most or all actual JVC consumer decks from 1999-2001 used the same mech. I think the same would be true for the US ones though the service manuals for the non-SVHS ones are a bit scant. One I did find was the HR-VP59U, and by extension the HR-A57U, A37U, J6008UM, LTRU1U and probably more that refer to it. Naming schemes are a bit confusing though.

The mech in the 1998 decks is similar has some minor differences, so it's possible a fair number of parts from those are compatible but not sure. Only a handful of those have the dynamic drum system as far as I know, almost all SVHS. There is the HR-DD868EU in PAL areas but not sure if there is a US variant of that one.

On all of these the SVHS ones have this extra tape stabilizer thing that lacks on the non-SVHS variants, but I haven't spotted any major difference otherwise in the mech otherwise.

The HR-S9911U from 2002 also has it, though that may be an exception, as the 5901U/5911U and others I've seen from the same year and on used a new simplified mech. Earlier (1997 and before) decks had a very different mech again. JVC started using rebadged LGs and another variant that I'm not sure who made in the later years, especially the combo models, but not sure if they had started with that at this stage which are of course completely different. Those will have very different menus and will lack video calibration, video stabilization etc. so it should be possible to spot the difference in the user manual.