Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-01-2021, 07:08 AM
Free Member

Hi

I have recently bought a Tevion High Speed DVD Maker (Tawian model) and I am trying to install the driver in my Windows 10 Asus Laptop. For some reason the computer does not seem to find the USB Audio Device.

I have installed the eMPIA-Driver(Tevion) that was linked to here.

After installation of the eMPIA-Driver, I can see in the Device Manager that USB 2860 Video has been installed correctly.
However, I see no USB EMP Audio device (with our without error code).
Please see attached picture.
So when I try to capture in Virtualdub2 I can get a picture without issue, but I can get no audio since no I the audio device is not showing up.

As mentioned in the first post in this thread, I also looked under the Registry.
On my computer, the device name does not say USB EMP Audio Device. It shows the following
Audio >
> AudioClass [Yes]
TwainDS >
> RealDSName [USB 2860 Video]

I have installed and re-installed the driver a few times with the same result. What could be the reason that the USB EMP Audio Device not showing up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Device Manager.JPG (74.8 KB, 12 downloads)

Last edited by salle; 09-01-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-01-2021, 10:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
What does the card look like, exactly? Need photo of it.

Tevion didn't use model numbers, and the cards vastly differ. There's no single Tevion driver, but rather drivers for the various cards that it cloned and rebadged.

What OS are you using? VirtualDub2, with this card, is suggested only for XP. For others, use VirtualDub 1.9.x

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-02-2021, 01:57 AM
Free Member

Oh, I see. Not easy to know. Thanks for helping out.
Please see pictures of the card and the box in attachments.
I am using Windows 10 Home, 64 bit.

Wow, thanks, I have downloaded VirtualDub 1.9.x. I get a clear picture there as well when capturing (without audio).

-- merged --

Sorry @lordsmurf. I misinterpreted your question.
I removed the case of the product so here are pictures of the card attached.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0823.jpg (136.5 KB, 41 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_0824.jpg (156.8 KB, 26 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_0825.jpg (190.1 KB, 23 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_0826.jpg (161.4 KB, 17 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_0828.jpg (160.6 KB, 22 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_0847.jpg (137.5 KB, 26 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_0848.jpg (141.2 KB, 23 downloads)
09-06-2021, 10:29 AM
Site Staff | Video

Tevion is a low-end European budget brand name for items mostly sold at Aldi (budget grocer, with some general merchandise). Tevion had a couple of nice rebadge/clone/"clone" items, but it's mostly just rebadged Chinese junk.

That exact card
- does not use these drivers
- is not the coveted ATI 600 USB "clone" version

It's closer to low-end stuff like Easycap (aka Easycrap) or Elgato (aka Elcrapo).

There's even a strong chance the chips inside have fake labels, nothing more than Chinese KO (knockoff, counterfeit) chips that tried to reverse-engineer SAA chips. That SAA logo and letters/numbers look really crappy compared to better devices (TBCs, etc) that use legit SAA A/D chips. Even the lettering on the eMPIA chip looks suspect.

Do not buy these cards.

09-06-2021, 11:41 AM
Free Member

Thank you lordsmurf for your answer.
Unfortunately the capture card is already bought and paid for.
I would still like to get the card to work even though as you say it is far from ideal.
If you have any idea of which the correct driver is, that information would be much appreciated.
09-06-2021, 11:54 AM
Free Member

That's an odd dongle, I'm not seeing an audio chip at all on the pictures. The EM2860/SAA7113H I got has a separate audio IC on it (EMP202) and other EM2860 dongles listed on the linuxtv wiki also do.

What it looks on the box is that has an audio minijack you are meant to plug into the line in on the normal sound card on the pc and the rca audio inputs on the dongle just go directly through that minijack cable. So in other words you are meant to capture the audio with the built-in sound card on the computer. You would have to select the internal sound card in virtualdub then and adjust volume and settings and such in the windows mixer. It's not like the audio chip on these dongles is great anyhow, so ideally the audio quality shouldn't be any worse.

I've never heard of fake labelled SAA7113 knockoff chips, the two variants I'm aware (GM7113 and Silan SC8113) of use their own naming and chip branding and just state "SAA7113 compatible" in the specs but who knows. The actual SAA7113H chips have Philips, Trident or NXP logos on them depending on when it was made (the IP was passed around a few times between companies).
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: msgohan (01-19-2022)
09-06-2021, 12:15 PM
Site Staff | Video

Fake chips exist. I don't see them often, but oddities in brand markings and fonts are the tell.

If true, an that card requires external audio, that won't go well. Odds are extremely likely that you'll get audio skew, lag/delays, and/or audio distortions (speed up, slow down, noise, red lines). USB cards simply do not time well to system audio, even when you have a quality audio card like the Turtle Beach.

Being "bought and paid for" means nothing. You're just punishing yourself by insisting on using it.

09-06-2021, 04:54 PM
Free Member

I tried a visually similar (identical) Tevion card. It went to Goodwill.
09-07-2021, 03:37 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
What it looks on the box is that has an audio minijack you are meant to plug into the line in on the normal sound card on the pc and the rca audio inputs on the dongle just go directly through that minijack cable. So in other words you are meant to capture the audio with the built-in sound card on the computer. You would have to select the internal sound card in virtualdub then and adjust volume and settings and such in the windows mixer. It's not like the audio chip on these dongles is great anyhow, so ideally the audio quality shouldn't be any worse.
That was my thought as well. However, since I am using a laptop I do not have a separate audio jack for line in. So audio needs to be captured through the microphone jack. I do not seem to get this work work either by entering the microphone properties and checking the box "Listen to this device". I have tried to restart Audiosrv PID in task manager as well through cmd. Such solutions seem to have worked for other Windows 10 users, but not for me . Anyway, due to lordsmurfs last comment, I have no reason to keep trying to capture audio with this product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf
If true, an that card requires external audio, that won't go well. Odds are extremely likely that you'll get audio skew, lag/delays, and/or audio distortions (speed up, slow down, noise, red lines). USB cards simply do not time well to system audio, even when you have a quality audio card like the Turtle Beach.

Being "bought and paid for" means nothing. You're just punishing yourself by insisting on using it.
Getting correctly timed audio to the picture is very important for me, so I am very glad that you are telling me this. I do not need the best picture quality for what I am capturing, but I do need correctly timed audio. This renders the card useless.

As suggested, I do think this card will go to goodwill as well. Thanks again for all advice. Much appreciated.
01-18-2022, 07:54 PM
Free Member

This is an old thread but I believe that I can ID this particular Tevion as a rebadge rather than a complete fraud. So for the sake of provenance (not endorsement):

Amazon lists a KWorld USB device. The ASIN is B000234SMQ and it was an Amazon item since "Date First Available February 13, 2005". (I will leave it to the admins to link this or not...) Product pictures are attached.

Thanks to the OP for the pictures of the board. It looks like a date code on the Empia 2860 of "200610" which would make sense for the Aldi board. The device does show up in Linux:

sample dmesg output:
[16189.661120] usb 1-2.3: New USB device found, idVendor=eb1a, idProduct=2860
[16189.661124] usb 1-2.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0

sample lsusb output:
Bus 001 Device 007: ID eb1a:2860 eMPIA Technology, Inc.

Kernel.org
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.1...-cardlist.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51lfDMYJVDL._AC_SX425_.jpg (26.5 KB, 12 downloads)
File Type: jpg 41BGLs3FUuL._AC_.jpg (19.0 KB, 10 downloads)
The following users thank spokenward for this useful post: msgohan (01-19-2022)
01-19-2022, 11:45 AM
Free Member

The KWorld does look like the same shell, and may be similar inside, but it doesn't use the audio passthrough method like the pictured Tevion. The output side only has a USB end with no minijack.
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: spokenward (01-19-2022)
01-19-2022, 12:36 PM
Free Member

Thanks, interesting. Squinting at the Amazon image appears to show two leads on the USB end of the shell with only the USB Type A peeking out. Similar images (Newegg) clearly show only the USB lead.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-01-19 12.38.05.jpg (19.4 KB, 7 downloads)

Last edited by spokenward; 01-19-2022 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added image from screenshot
01-19-2022, 02:14 PM
Free Member

Okay, so the box design shown on Amazon is actually a Photoshop job removing the audio wire. A different box design found elsewhere shows the original photo.

There's an Amazon review complaining about two different devices being sold with the same model number.
https://www.amazon.com/portal/custom...R1ZHNYWSB32QAO

I don't wanna go any further down the rabbit hole with this one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Real.jpeg (8.9 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: jpeg Shopped.jpeg (9.3 KB, 8 downloads)
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: spokenward (01-19-2022)