Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-07-2021, 08:10 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
use the latest drivers
Didn't work.

Quote:
and do proper installation.
What does that even mean?

With the USB cards, you plug it in to the USB port, install the drivers, and setup the capture software (VirtualDub). Done. Unlike older AGP/PCI/PCIe type cards, especially ATI AIW, there's really no fiddling to be had. Yes, sometimes you need to add a single tweak (example = ATI 600 USB registry fix to properly 50% the audio input, or manually changing a Tevion audio driver), but that's infrequent.

What about the Live2 needs special handling? (And even if it is the case, it's a ding against the card. Also might explain some of the problems with install, as all tweaks/workarounds have some % of failures, often tiny %, usually due to the OS or other system hardware.)

I have a rule: You're not allowed to tell me I'm wrong (or doing something wrong), unless you can also tell me how to do things right/correct. That's something I've done since day 1 online, especially with video. I teach. I never give bland statements of "oh well, you're just not doing things properly", as that sort of statement is an obvious bluster. (When I don't know something, I say so. With these specific analog video topics, that doesn't happen too often. Now if we're on another topic, like the inner workings of cars, especially modern cars ... helliphino [hell if I know], cross between elephant and rhino. )

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-07-2021, 08:25 AM
Free Member

Code:
You're not allowed to tell me I'm wrong (or doing something wrong), unless you can also tell me how to do things right/correct.
I'm allowed to say what is right!

You said Hauppauge USB Live 2 has problem with Windows 10. This is false. You were not able to bring any evidence.

I think you know me quite well now, and you (and everybody else) know that all my statements in my posts about some particolar or technical aspect are always justified adding videos or images to prove what I say.

Change your "teaching" strategy with me, this does not work
09-07-2021, 08:48 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
You said Hauppauge USB Live 2 has problem with Windows 10. This is false.
It's not false. Win10 is a known problem OS for capturing, and affects all SD cards, and even some HD cards. Some have workarounds, some do not (ie, you're screwed, card will not work whatsoever). Making matters worse, each Win10 OS "update" tends to nuke more cards (and that "update" is actually often more like an OS upgrade, significant OS changes happen). What isn't know, unfortunately, is exactly why. So far, we have identified Nvidia drivers, especially recent versions, as one reason. But there are still unknowns.

You probably only have experience with your own card and computer(s). It works for you. For now. Great! I'm happy for you! Your captures do seem fine at a glance, especially given the variable nature of cards using CX chips (AGC issues especially). Assuming you have the Win10 system online, and updating regularly, my advice is to capture as much as you can, while it's actually working. Because as others have learned, some of who were using various Hauppauge cards (Live2 and others), it can cease to work.

To some degree, the Win10 issue reminds me of my attempts to get ATI AIW to function on Windows Vista and 7. It was very hit-or-miss, mostly miss. An OS has so many moving parts, as do the needs of capture cards. A single blocked pathway nukes everything. In the case of the ATI AIW hacking, it was a reboot-and-forget issue (uncorrectable at the OS level) that would require full re-setup each time you rebooted. That wasn't going to work. Member jwillis hit the same sort of roadblocks, so the issues were replicable.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-07-2021, 08:57 AM
Free Member

OK, I prefere this gentle discussion "tone"

The day my card, or the card of many several people I know using it, will stop to work in W10 you will be the first to know. So far is not the case.

Let's move to some more interesting discussion; waiting your comments on the Magewell Pro Capture HDMI (and AIO) videohelp thread where we both are writing ;-)
09-07-2021, 09:35 AM
Free Member

I don't even know what's the purpose of this discussion, Just because someone never had a problem with something doesn't necesarrily means it doesn't have problems, Otherwise what's the purpose of customer service of a product. There is always going to be problems with anything in this life and people who know/experience them are the people who use a lot of them or receive mass complaints about them.
09-07-2021, 06:38 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Win10 is a known problem OS for capturing, and affects all SD cards, and even some HD cards.
Not all SD cards - my SAA7130 is not affected by Win10.
09-07-2021, 07:13 PM
Free Member

Well, I'm glad to see you're all so passionate about this stuff as it means you actually care, which is exactly why I'm here! So just to circle this back to my original topic, it seems the missing piece from my shopping list is a Hi8 camcorder with line TBC. Is it safe to assume that the list on this page applies to PAL as well i.e. a CCD-TRV67 is the same as a CCD-TRV67E?
Also, should I be looking specifically at the Hi8 ones and not Digital8 ones, as it sounds like the Digital8 ones might convert it to DV, which is not what I want.
Anything else I need to consider here?
09-07-2021, 07:34 PM
Free Member

D8 and Hi8 are both fine, D8 does not convert to DV unless you capture from the DV port a.k.a iLink. Both systems can have a line TBC for analog tapes, But becareful some D8 camcorders don't playback analog tapes.
09-08-2021, 08:17 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedSystem View Post
Is it safe to assume that the list on this page applies to PAL as well i.e. a CCD-TRV67 is the same as a CCD-TRV67E?
I would check the user manual for the specific one to be sure. There may have been some differences in some cases whether the model has stereo and s-video and such. The TRV67 lacks stereo support for both the PAL and NTSC models so wouldn't use that if the tapes were recorded in a stereo camcorder. If the tapes were recorded in mono that's not an issue of course.

The TBC function in these Sony camcorder is very good (and 8mm wouldn't normally have copy protection), so you may be fine with the budget setup of using a dvd-recorder rather than a full on TBC. It's normally only when the playback starts and the TBC "kicks in", or in some cases cuts between recordings it will let through some funkyness that can cause a frame drop/insert or 2 (tho my TBC-3000 can respond with a roll instead in some cases which isn't really any better), but YMMV.

Last edited by hodgey; 09-08-2021 at 08:36 AM.

Tags
hi8, lossless