09-21-2021, 01:42 PM
Free Member

I'm trying to capture some cherished home videos and basically decided to follow this guide that was recommended a bunch from around the net: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdGDwNwmyVo

I got myself an S-VHS player with s-video out, a Panasonic dvd recorder for the TBC, and hooked them all up to an IO-Data GV-USB (this thing) which seemed to be a decently reviewed device for the price.

I followed the instructions in the video (starting at about the 6:50 mark) to the letter, and this is where things get weird.

I only get the video preview when my device is set to "WDM Image Capture", not when I select the GV-USB2 device. However, virtualdub will ONLY record when it's set to the GV-USB2 device, not when in WDM.

To make matters weirder, I can hear the audio just fine when it's being previewed in virtuadub, but when I record to a file I only get the video, no audio. The GV-USB2 isn't showing up as a recording device in windows 10 for audio but I'm getting the audio just fine in preview mode, so clearly it's coming through, just not translating to the captured video.

In short, I can capture videos on the wrong setting, without a preview, and I can get sound in preview mode, but no sound on the resulting video capture.

I don't get it.

Any idea what might be getting messed up here?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-21-2021, 02:00 PM
Free Member

Okay well the audio part of this was obvious - when I set the audio capture source to the wrong device ("capture device" and NOT the GV-USB2), it records audio and video.

Still no preview of either when I'm in the only mode they'll record in though. I guess that's not the biggest deal since it technically outputs, but if anyone knows why I have to select the incorrect device selections to get it working (without preview, that is) I'd love to know.
09-21-2021, 04:47 PM
Free Member

Try with virtualvcr (works on 7, not sure on 10 but worth the try). I've always captured with it successfully for +10 years
http://virtualvcr.sourceforge.net/
edit: in the settings, "View" make sure to enable "smart Tee for preview"
09-21-2021, 06:21 PM
Free Member

I have one of these GV-USB2 beauties and it works well with VDub. I prefer VDub over other capture programs because of the histogram.

Here's my setup:
Win 10 20H2 64bit.
Virtual Dub 1.9.11 (from this site). I think this is where that guy is leading you astray; he's using VDub 2.
Device>GV-USB2
Video>Preview
Video>Preview>Accel Off
Video>Histogram On
Video>Video Source>S-Video
Video>Set Custom Format>720x576 YUY2
Audio>Top 3 items on
Audio>0 Capture Device

That's it.

To adjust your video Proc Amp capture levels:
Download and run Graphstudionext (it's a "portable" program and won't install on your system, it just runs).
Graph>Insert Filter
Scroll down to GV-USB2, Analogue capture and click it
Click Insert
Close the Filters window
Right click on the GV-USB2 Filter box in the main window and go onto the Video Proc Amp tab.
You can then control various levels. Brightness and Contrast can be adjusted with the VDub histogram: brightness controls the left hand end and contrast the right.

You can save that "graph" for quick access later: File>Save as graph...

Last edited by Hushpower; 09-21-2021 at 06:35 PM.
The following users thank Hushpower for this useful post: JAJT (09-22-2021)
09-21-2021, 06:40 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Okay well the audio part of this was obvious - when I set the audio capture source to the wrong device ("capture device" and NOT the GV-USB2), it records audio and video.

Still no preview of either when I'm in the only mode they'll record in though. I guess that's not the biggest deal since it technically outputs, but if anyone knows why I have to select the incorrect device selections to get it working (without preview, that is) I'd love to know.
Who knows. Does it matter? VDub development ceased many years ago. With particular settings, it works. That's all that matters.
09-21-2021, 09:04 PM
Free Member

If you're not aufait with Video>Compression, you'll need to install a lossless codec such as Lagarith or HUFFYUV.

Let us know if you need help installing those codecs.

It's best to capture in a lossless format, then do your editing, then export into MP4 for viewing on your computer, TV or You Tube (although you can upload to YT in Lagarith or HUFF format, the issue being the lossless files are around 450mb per minute (720x576, 25fps) whereas MP4 is much smaller for good quality, around 50mb per minute.
09-22-2021, 08:49 AM
Free Member

Appreciate the response.

Just got HuffyUV installed after like 15 attempts, haha.

Does anyone know what "I Frame Interval" and "quality" reffer to in the capture pin settings? By default they seem to be 15 and 0.5 respectively but I see absolutely no mention of these settings anywhere and most walk-throughs show this section entirely blank...

Attached Images
File Type: png 1.PNG (14.2 KB, 5 downloads)
09-22-2021, 09:18 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAIT
Just got HuffyUV installed after like 15 attempts, haha.
Yes, sorry about not warning you! Cough cough.

I have 15 and compression quality 1. I've never looked at them before now.
09-22-2021, 09:33 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJT View Post
Does anyone know what "I Frame Interval" and "quality" reffer to in the capture pin settings?
They don't do anything when "Color Space / Compression" is set to an uncompressed format like YUY2. For devices with hardware encoding to MJPEG or MPEG, they could change the compression settings.
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: Hushpower (09-22-2021), JAJT (09-22-2021)