Quantcast Is it true VHS tapes demagnetize sitting in storage? - Page 2 - digitalFAQ Forum
Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-14-2021, 01:58 AM
Free Member

Black tape doesn't necessarily mean metal, Metal is a very special formulation and the playback/recording machine has to have a special tape equalization in terms of recording and playback currents, erasure current, bias frequency... etc. You can't use the same VCR to playback normal tapes and metal tapes without having to switch from metal to normal and vise versa just like in an audio tape recorder. Besides metal formulation wouldn't work for Hi-Fi depth recording and linear audio anyway. Wondered why ED Beta VCR's have a switch for Super Beta and ED beta? It's for that purpose.

Even metal formulations are not created equal, tape stock is not interchangeable across a lot of consumer and pro formats. I learned that by experimenting with these types of tape formulations and put them in different cassettes. For instance I tried VXA data tapes in a D8 camcorder and I couldn't get a useful recording, Even in a Hi8 camcorder I got chroma rainbows and a lot of luma noise. I put a digital Betacam tape into D-VHS and S-VHS cassette shells and I couldn't get a digital recording, in S-VHS mode the recording was very messy, The same tape produced noisy recordings in ED Beta mode. So tape equalization is very important.

https://www.youtube.com/user/latoak34/videos
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-14-2021, 02:31 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Black tape doesn't necessarily mean metal, Metal is a very special formulation and the playback/recording machine has to have a special tape equalization in terms of recording and playback currents, erasure current, bias frequency... etc. You can't use the same VCR to playback normal tapes and metal tapes without having to switch from metal to normal and vise versa just like in an audio tape recorder. Besides metal formulation wouldn't work for Hi-Fi depth recording and linear audio anyway. Wondered why ED Beta VCR's have a switch for Super Beta and ED beta? It's for that purpose.

Even metal formulations are not created equal, tape stock is not interchangeable across a lot of consumer and pro formats. I learned that by experimenting with these types of tape formulations and put them in different cassettes. For instance I tried VXA data tapes in a D8 camcorder and I couldn't get a useful recording, Even in a Hi8 camcorder I got chroma rainbows and a lot of luma noise. I put a digital Betacam tape into D-VHS and S-VHS cassette shells and I couldn't get a digital recording, in S-VHS mode the recording was very messy, The same tape produced noisy recordings in ED Beta mode. So tape equalization is very important.
**Nods sagely**

Tape stock is a subject close to my heart, it's a very complicated topic and you're dead right here. Good point on ED Beta, this totally changes the bias and level of the recording - this is why it's not always a "good, better, best" paradigm between different tape formulations, they each have a special role and different requirements. cf. Betacam and BetacamSP.

I've not thought about depth-multiplexing though, that's an interesting consideration, that doesn't work in PAL territories as Betamax HiFi is depth-multiplexed in PAL regions akin to VHS, Betamax PAL and Betamax NTSC are quite different beasts whereas VHS is a much more uniform system.

The Korea thing wanders in to SKC (or a Saehan shell), but this isn't a forensic examination of tapes or climates, but I'm reasonably confident in my remarks on this, but ultimately it's just conjecture.

What I can say with near certainty is that BASF tape from the early 1980s is likely to be heavily chromed, the UK market example before me has all the hallmarks of a heavily chromed tape stock, chrome tape is known to degrade badly in certain climates and would delaminate or shed after time.

Another thing I might experiment with in downtime is audio, my hypothesis being that chrome formulation VHS cassettes have noticeably less noisy linear audio compared to usual doped ferric forumations?
10-14-2021, 07:49 AM
Premium Member

Looking at Ray's Betamax site, BASF appears to have made chrome Betamax blanks: http://www.betainfoguide.net/basf.jpg