Quantcast Can you capture to external hard drive? - digitalFAQ Forum
10-09-2021, 08:35 PM
Free Member

I read somewhere on here to "never capture on external drives".

So If I have VHS > TBC > USB Capture Device connected to a USB 3 Port and a 1TB SSD Internal and 10TB External HD (USB 3), does this mean I can't make the videos on the External, it has to be on the SSD? And then afterwards you cut the video to the External? If so, why is this?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-09-2021, 08:54 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,870 Posts
No.

External drives do not have the sustained connection required. (Firewire did, but USB does not.)

HDD vs. SSD does not matter, USB is the limiter.

Attempting to use USB will drop frames, and have other issues.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-10-2021, 04:51 AM
Free Member

When you say USB is the limiter, do you mean it's the limiter for the External, or also the capture device?

For the external, can you use a USB to eSATA adapter to fix the issue?
10-10-2021, 05:37 AM
Free Member

USB is busy to get data from the capture card. If you ask him to also send data to the external disk, whatever interface you use, you may have problems.
10-11-2021, 03:40 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,870 Posts
The data from the capture card isn't the same as writing the files of data. USB is fine for the capture card, but not for the external write (HDD, SSD).

USB still goes over the CPU. It's not direct connected like a SATA or PCIe device, bypassing CPU. Very often, it makes no difference. But video isn't one of those times.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-11-2021, 09:11 AM
Free Member

We have done it, with total success so might be a "suck it and see" sort of thing but it's certainly not an optimal way of doing it. We've also tried it with zero success when we've had drives fail on machines in use - I can say that we have done it with zero dropped frames and no issues though on videos of about 90 minutes in length.

I'm thinking back to "that afternoon" which is something of a legend in our towers were we had just about all hardware fail at once.

We did do it with the editing workstations with serious horsepower though (water cooled Thread Rippers, 128GB of RAM, M2 cache drive etc), I don't think I'd try it on our more modest capture machines.

We do capture almost exclusively to internal SSD or file-server without issues though, despite some dire warnings to the contrary, it's not an issue we have with even our more modest machines.
10-16-2021, 08:13 AM
Free Member

Second that, trying it out is one sure way to find out.

Another way could be mapping a drive from a network share with gigabit ethernet; I haven't tried it myself, but the thoroughputs I'm seeing on gigabit ethernet seem similar to a local SATA drive at least with my setup. Might have to tinker with the network settings to get better latency. Then again I haven't tried it.