Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-11-2021, 01:48 PM
Free Member

REQUEST: I am requesting guidance/review of my proposed workflow for converting Family Movie VHS to Digital and eventually DVD. I am also requesting suggestions for VCRs.

Background: I've done some conversions over the years with mixed results. Originally, I had an old PC that used a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1600 card. I then switched to the Honestech VIDBOX VHS to DVD 8.0 Deluxe USB module, since I no longer had the old PC. I used a Sony SLV-N81 VCR for captures with both capture setups. I thought the colors were a bit more vibrant on the Hauppauge compared to the Honestech.

I only did a few before and now would like to get about 20 or so done. I started searching for guidance on best practices/tools which led me to this site. I realize now that I may have used some inferior equipment or was missing tools. I've searched a few times through the site and think I have a proposed workflow to try out:

Proposed Workflow
  1. SVHS VCR - I saw a Mitsubishi U748 or 749 recommended on other threads, any other suggestions that I could buy off ebay?
  2. Panasonic DMR ES10 for TBC in Pass Through Mode
  3. USB capture card such as VC500
  4. Software - Virutal Dub?

I am trying to limit my budget on this. I found a Panasonic ES10 on ebay for about $80. I am now looking for a SVHS player. I will be using Windows 10. I have an ASROCK Deskmini A300, so a PCI card is not an option. Capture device will need to be USB.

Any suggestions for a SVHS player? I read on here the Sony SLV-N81 is not great, so I thought I should get something else. Is SVHS strongly recommended instead of regular VHS player.

Any changes to the workflow?
Based on this approach, is there a link/guide here that can help me with settings for ES10 and Virtual Dub?

I did find local place that would do the transfers as well. They charged about $28 a VHS and that would be for either DVD or Digital Files, not both. It would be around $600 for all 20 DVDs. My proposed setup should be less than $200, which does not include resale when I am done.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors