Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-12-2021, 11:16 AM
Free Member

Hi all - long time lurker, first time poster.

My set up is this:

SONY AV3650 -> Leitch DPS 475 -> Blackmagic UltraStudio HD Mini -> vrecord (Mac)

I have noticed on some 1/2" open reel tapes a flagging/skew error in the top left corner in my vrecord preview that does not appear on my analog preview monitor (this signal is before the TBC). Often, on the preview monitor, there is a slight skew/flag in the opposite direction, but it is usually less dramatic than the digitized signal, as if the TBC is overcompensating in the opposite direction.

As far as I know, there is no way to adjust the skew on the TBC (the SONY obviously has a skew knob, but this usually doesn't make much of a difference).

Most tapes are fine, but the flagging is consistent on the tapes that have it.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-12-2021, 03:40 PM
Free Member

You would need a device with line TBC such as the TBS800 from S&W, It has analog IN and SDI out for your UltraStudio device. That pizza size device you have may not have a line TBC.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
11-13-2021, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

No experience with that format. But I will say that if you search this forum about flagging, you'll likely find a lot of talk about using a Panasonic DMR-ES10 or ES15 as a pass thru to resolve flagging from a weak signal for VHS tapes, at least. It has certainly helped remove flagging I've had on some VHS. I also had a bit of luck using it for some U-matic captures to improve the signal strength to my capture card.

It's not a real line or frame TBC, but it is known for behaving similar to one in that it provides a solid frame sync out and resolves line issues like top of the frame flagging, assuming you feed the output from your playback device directly to the ES10 or ES15 first before anything else in the video chain that might alter the signal.

They are much lower cost than real TBCs, and might be something worth trying if you are unable to find a proper line TBC or are trying to avoid paying for one.
11-15-2021, 05:14 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

No experience either, but what a cool machine. We passed up the opportunity to buy one of these last year and I do sort of regret it, would have been nice for the display case if nothing else.

You'll need a hardcore TBC to deal with this, as I can imagine whatever flies off of the tape is going to be 'junk' in terms of signal stability. This might be like C format where you need something that fully locks to the vertical interval from the capstan due to the sheer instability of the signal where no amount of software interpretation in going to unpick it.

Can't offer anything useful, but looks like a cool project. There's a British machine that's similar called a Telcan, they look like fun too.
03-13-2022, 09:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilson View Post
My set up is this:

SONY AV3650 -> Leitch DPS 475 -> Blackmagic UltraStudio HD Mini -> vrecord (Mac)

I have noticed on some 1/2" open reel tapes a flagging/skew error in the top left corner in my vrecord preview that does not appear on my analog preview monitor (this signal is before the TBC).
To echo what others have said, in my experience the EIAJ VTRs just don't play nice with full-frame digital TBCs.

The best results I've gotten have been with an AV-3650 feeding a BVT-810 intended for trick play U-Matic decks.

"I can make mistakes myself just fine." - Don Williams

Tags
flagging, open reel, skew, tbc