digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   How to convert MiniDV AVI files to modern format? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/12312-how-convert-minidv.html)

YuppVid 11-27-2021 07:04 AM

How to convert MiniDV AVI files to modern format?

Hi guys, newbie user here.
I have 30+ avi files that I "converted" once from cassette to .avi files. I use Avidemux and Virtualdub.
These avi files will not load in Avidemux, only in Virtualdub. Each file is about one hour of footage. The size of these files is about 12Gb. I think this is very big for the low quality of the videos.

I want to select certain scenes and save them separately. If I select a scene of lets say 2 minutes in Virtualdub and save is the size get's even bigger (4 or 6gb). But then it is possible to open the saved avi in Avidemux and compress it. I have done 1 of the 30+ old avi files now and it is very time consuming. And I don't even know if I am using the right settings.

My question: what is the best way to go about here? What software must I use and what settings? Appreciate any help ;-)

traal 11-27-2021 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YuppVid (Post 80912)
I have 30+ avi files that I "converted" once from cassette to .avi files. I use Avidemux and Virtualdub.
These avi files will not load in Avidemux, only in Virtualdub.

That's odd because my raw miniDV files load fine in Avidemux. MediaInfo says:

Code:

Video
ID                                      : 1
Format                                  : DV
Codec ID                                : dvc
Width                                    : 720 pixels
Height                                  : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio                    : 4:3
Frame rate                              : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Standard                                : NTSC
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                      : 4:1:1
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced

What codec are your .avi files saved in?

Quote:

I want to select certain scenes and save them separately. If I select a scene of lets say 2 minutes in Virtualdub and save is the size get's even bigger (4 or 6gb). But then it is possible to open the saved avi in Avidemux and compress it.

I prefer Handbrake for encoding videos. Save your scenes in a lossless format such as HuffYUV, then encode in Handbrake, then you can delete the lossless scene files.

latreche34 11-27-2021 02:03 PM

Encode to h.264 from those files and work on the scenes afterwards from the encoded files using a frame accurate software that only re-encodes the frames around the cut.

YuppVid 11-28-2021 06:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by traal (Post 80915)
That's odd because my raw miniDV files load fine in Avidemux. MediaInfo says:
What codec are your .avi files saved in?

thanx Traal for helping me out here ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by latreche34 (Post 80916)
Encode to h.264 from those files and work on the scenes afterwards from the encoded files using a frame accurate software that only re-encodes the frames around the cut.

Thanx latreche34,
would Handbrake do that job (encode to h.264 and frame accurate re-encoding) ??

So I installed Handbrake and re-installed VirtualDub 1.9 (the LordSmurf version). Also installed HuffYUV.
What now? Re-encode with VirtualDub or Handbrake???

traal 11-28-2021 12:34 PM

Ok so the .avi files have the raw DV video (PAL) which is good.

I'm guessing that you don't have the 64-bit DV codec installed, only the 32-bit one, and that's why only VirtualDub can read your files right now.

YuppVid 11-29-2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traal (Post 80938)
...you don't have the 64-bit DV codec installed....

OK Traal, how do I tackle that problem??

https://www.google.com/search?q=install++64-bit+DV+codec

-- merged --

Does anyone know how I check if 64-bit DV code is installed and if not.. .where I get it?

msgohan 12-03-2021 03:27 PM

Avidemux doesn't use external codecs, so I don't agree with this diagnosis. It uses its own built-in ffmpeg decoders.

Quote:

Each file is about one hour of footage. The size of these files is about 12Gb. I think this is very big for the low quality of the videos.

I hope you're not planning to delete your originals. They're 1:1 copies of your tapes and the hard drive space to store your <40 tapes isn't a lot these days.

If necessary, make H.264 "viewing copies", but don't delete the full tape backups. :eek:

Quote:

I want to select certain scenes and save them separately. If I select a scene of lets say 2 minutes in Virtualdub and save is the size get's even bigger (4 or 6gb).
Change to Video -> Direct Stream Copy.