03-18-2021, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

Is the JVC HR-DVS2U not a recommended model? I see the JVC HR-DVS3U listed on lordsmurf's VCR buying guide but I do not see the JVC HR-DVS2U.

As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the 3U has 2MB frame memory and the 2U has 4MB frame memory.

https://www.us.jvc.com/archive/video...vcrs/hr_dvs2u/
https://www.us.jvc.com/archive/video...vcrs/hr_dvs3u/
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-18-2021, 01:53 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
The HR-DVS2 aka SR-VS20U has concerns.

It's a decent unit when it works. The problem is "when it works", because so few do.

Ignore all the morons on eBay, claiming it to be "tested" and "working". Those sames morons will ship it like garbage, and it'll arrive in pieces.

The unit is front heavy and fragile, so shipping it -- and it arrived safely! -- are often impossible. Even I haven't had much success with it, and anybody who's ever bought from me will attest to my gear packing quality. You need a huge thick box, and at least 5-6 layers of large bubble wrap minimum. Even then, it may not be enough. The plastic used on the panel was thin and resin-like, so it'll shatter easily. A bad drop from USPS/Fedex/UPS, and it's toast.

The next issue is the demographic of who bought these when new. Many were sold to smaller studios on a budget, and were pushed too hard. No maintenance, constant overheating, etc. So the components inside are often trashed. Others were sold to education, where students (ab)used them.

Beyond that, JVC DV players had design flaws, and most quit working soon after being put into service. This was true of the latter DVS3/VS30 units as well. I sometimes think why we see so few DVS2 now is because the units were all RMA'd and replaced with the DVS3/VS30.

The VHS side is what matters, of course, and it could be cranky. As I recently mentioned, some models had transport motors that failed more than others, and this was one of them. This was also one of the harder JVCs to realign (or purposely misalign).

I have a massively damaged VS20 in my attic graveyard, and need parts to fix it. I'm dreading that project. After that, I'm never touching another VS20 for any reason.

I'd only buy if local.
Or only if the person takes insane precautions with shipping (tip: most eBay sellers STILL have no idea what "safe" means, even after you explain it to them clearly).

And if not guaranteed to work (from somebody like myself, that truly knows if the deck if working), pay no more than $100, as odds are it's shot.

To answer you: Yes, it's a recommended unit. But finding one in good shape, and getting it there to you in the same shape, isn't an easy task,

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-18-2021, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

I'm looking at purchasing it locally from someone on Facebook Marketplace.

The seller does have pictures of the VCR working. They don't have any MiniDVs to test and frankly I don't care about that aspect. The VHS side appears to work well, based on the pictures.

I'll inquire how it was utilized. It appears to be one that was used at home, but they could have purchased it used for all I know.
03-18-2021, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

Nevermind. The guy does not have the remote.
03-18-2021, 10:54 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
It uses the standard LP20303 remote, though it came with the extended jog dial version.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-28-2021, 09:32 AM
Free Member

You can use an android mobile phone with infrared, with the Lean Remote app, for example.