Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-18-2022, 08:12 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Line doubler? You're making things worse for yourself.

RetroTINK is for video games. Not VHS. I don't care what anybody says or writes, the proof is in the bad capture output.

Between it, and the Panasonic DVD recorder -- both lousy choices -- I'd opt for the DVD recorder.
Ok thanks just thought Id ask since Vdub captures at 480i anyways from my USB analog capture device
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-19-2022, 12:43 PM
Free Member

Gave it a lot of thought and went back and started recapturing the home movie tapes from scratch via lossless
Tried Vdub first but always ran into heavy sync issues (there would be dozens of frame drops in the first 10 seconds).
Used AmarecTV instead with LAGS. File appeared to be OK... but there was a moment when the picture froze and the audio kept going, but still managed to be in sync.

The end plan for these videos are going to be computer/file viewing, no real intention for DVD or BD. But any time I process the video stream, that freeze spot creates an audio desync for the rest of the video length. Last night I tried Avisynth and QTGMC for the first time... looked beautiful, smooth and deinterlaced, but the audio was mismatched at that spot in the new file.

Is there anything I could differently during initial capture to prevent glitch spots like this? Or is this a TBC only fix. I attached the segment of the video when it visibly freezes then jumps ahead.
vhsfreeze01.avi

All that aside, now I really understand the errors of my ways when comparing the 5Mbps m2ts capture to the lossless one I just made last night, all that ugly color noise gone.
NICK00.jpg
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

01-19-2022, 03:16 PM
Free Member

I'll add this this post is getting me closer to the issue, but AVISource gives me an error that it cannot find a decompressor for LAGS.
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...gmc-audio.html
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...27037&page=130
So if it still a TBC issue I'll seek an answer here, but it if is truly just an issue with processing improperly I'll keep searching around.

I am calculating 364 dropped frames after deinterlacing.
Code:
SetFilterMTMode ("QTGMC", 2)
    FFmpegSource2("C:\VHS Project\hi res tapes\Tape07.avi", atrack=1)
    ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)
    AssumeTFF()
    QTGMC(preset="Slower")
    Prefetch(10)
01-20-2022, 06:25 AM
Free Member

Quote:
All that aside, now I really understand the errors of my ways when comparing the 5Mbps m2ts capture to the lossless one I just made last night, all that ugly color noise gone.
Welcome to the club of lossless captures!
However, at 10mbps I did not see major degradation between lossless and mpeg2 capture. The "ugly color" difference may be related to mpeg2 compression (difficult to believe), colorspace conversion (YUY2 -> YV12) for mpeg2 generations, capture setting or who knows what. In any case, stay with lossless captures!

Concerning the delay/freeze problem, avoid to open lossless files with "mpeg/avc-built dlls", such as Ffms2. Capture with HuffYUV and open the file in AviSynth with AviSource("<filename.avi>")

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
The following users thank lollo2 for this useful post: starbond (01-20-2022)
01-20-2022, 11:27 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
Welcome to the club of lossless captures!
However, at 10mbps I did not see major degradation between lossless and mpeg2 capture. The "ugly color" difference may be related to mpeg2 compression (difficult to believe), colorspace conversion (YUY2 -> YV12) for mpeg2 generations, capture setting or who knows what. In any case, stay with lossless captures!

Concerning the delay/freeze problem, avoid to open lossless files with "mpeg/avc-built dlls", such as Ffms2. Capture with HuffYUV and open the file in AviSynth with AviSource("<filename.avi>")
Thanks that helped a lot. As for the color blocking it is hard to say. Happauge captures a m2ts or ts stream at 4:2:0 and thats pretty much the end of it. LAGS and others capture at 4:2:2 which may have something to do with it.

I shouldve done this a long time ago but I didn't. I may have stated at some point I have two VCRs I use during this project, one is a 1990 Sony SLV-575UF, decent unit with a pull down station and swing shuttle. The other is a 2001 Panasonic PV-V4211. Both units are Hi-Fi 4head. Typically I use the pana as a watching unit (seeking through tapes to write down record times) and use the sony to actually capture to PC since I assumed its a better higher end unit..

I captured the same tape on both units and was shocked to see the Sony looks WORSE! Is there a cause for this? It has a sharpening knob but its always in the middle. Both files were the same codec lossless.
FIRST: 2001 Panasonic
tape150segments(20220120-2148).avi_snapshot_00.08.975.jpg
SECOND: 1990 Sony
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

01-21-2022, 04:08 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I captured the same tape on both units and was shocked to see the Sony looks WORSE! Is there a cause for this?
As per today, the working conditions of the machines are more important than the initial specifications/features. Try both on the field with several segments and choose the best

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN