01-02-2022, 12:33 PM
Unconfirmed User

Came here from videohelp via lordsmurf looking for help.
In short, what do I connect to what to get started, using existing old equipment
I have old equipment I hope works. I may buy a new capture device based on advice here, either for windows 7 or windows 10.

OK. Long ago I started to try to convert VHS home videos to digital format. Maybe to DVD or hard drives. I did some poorly. The important part was to save the content. I have not even tried to view them recently. I started to gather equipment back then that I thought would work. I had a plan. Then came the divorce, moving, storage. Years later I cannot remember the plan and have some equipment. I likely also gathered some equipment that I did not need or was not optimal.

I want to know how to connect this stuff to a computer and what computer I/O cards to use and what software. I recall one hardware component was missing that I needed to buy back then but I am sure it has changed much. I am looking for bulk conversions, not super high quality hand editing.

I have
JVC HR S9911U S-VHS with composite and S outputs. Said to be good for what I need.
SignVideo ProcAmp Y-C and composite outputs. This has 2 channels. I hope to find the power adapter.
How would I use this stuff to feed to a computer?
Do I use the S video or composite outputs from each and then use the composite audio?

Also I just found a cable marked "Pinnacle 700 PCI Video Capture Card" with apparent S video and composite video in and out coupled to a 25 PIN D connector. I did not find the PCI card yet.
AND a Archer Video Enhanced Stabilizer 15-1270

I have a cam corder that I think was supposed to work as pass through for composite or S video to digital or firewire? I would not count on that but it might work.
I have to get to digital somehow.

I also have stuff I am not sure why I have it.
Canopus ADVC 300 box. Never used. Can I use this some how?
JVC DR-DX5 Not sure it works.Maybe without hard drive? MiniDV HD DVD.
JVC SR VS10 not sure it works. Mini DV and S VHS recorder.

-- merged --

I just found another card pinnacle system v1.0a pci capture card. S and composite in and out and firewire port.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-03-2022, 02:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Answered in both places. But reply here for more Q&A, not there.

Quote:
JVC HR S9911U S-VHS
Yes, excellent model, if unit good condition.
Only downside is the DD, brittle with age, wear with use.

Quote:
SignVideo ProcAmp
This can be excellent unit, if knobs not screwy (mishandled, poor shipping).

Quote:
Pinnacle 700 PCI
Archer Video Enhanced
Canopus ADVC 300
No.
Hell no.
Do not use.
Bad!

Quote:
camcorder ... act as a passthrough for analog to digital.
Still not good, DV compression, 4:1:1, yuck.
DV is 1990s transfer tech, era of Pentium III computers. You need at least 2000s, lossless era.

Quote:
JVC DR-DX5
JVC SR VS10
Maybe.
That SR-VS10 especially, but only for VHS. The DV is engineering flawed, eats tapes.

Overall, you're missing a frame TBC. (Not the same as line TBC in the JVC VCR.)
Standard workflow = VCR > TBC > capture card

You have no real quality capture card here.
No frame TBC.
And yet, two possibly excellent VCRs. So you're partially there.

Quote:
I should clean it.
If you clean it wrong, you'll ruin it.

Quote:
Any tips on how to clean or what to do before trying to play a VHS tape? Air blasting then wet cleaning the heads?
No cotton, no Q-tips, ruins heads.
Even foam swabs made badly these days, Chinese junk on Amazon.
Use the copy paper method, 91%+ IPA.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Unconfirmed User

Is copy paper method described somewhere?
That is for cleaning the heads, correct?

I have not even inspected the old tapes so I may have problems there as well. I may be getting ahead of myself in even thinking of the machines if the tapes are moldy.
01-03-2022, 03:28 PM
Free Member

I use this without problems (made in Canada): https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

paper method here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew1T8p3wYXE

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
01-11-2022, 03:44 PM
Free Member

Copy Paper Method: Remove cover, fold the paper up into 1-1.5” x 11” strip, douse one end with alcohol, press end of paper with alcohol on it against head as hard as you can with one hand, manually spin head with the other hand. Rotate for 15-30 seconds.

Repeat with a new/clean section of paper until the paper showed no signs of dirt. I have found rotating one direction first, then repeating going in the other direction to remove even more. Search properly cleaning VHS heads on YouTube and watch a video many positive reviews.
01-11-2022, 03:58 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Not as hard as you can!!!

Just firm.

15-30 seconds way too long. Just rotation or two.
Then check paper. If dirty, get new one, repeat. Repeat until clean.

Rotating counterclockwise not helpful.

Youtube advice for cleaning VCRs is generally horrible, non-video know-nothing idiots teaching know-nothing newbies. Blind leading the blind.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-11-2022, 04:04 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
press end of paper with alcohol on it against head as hard as you can with one hand
I have found rotating one direction first, then repeating going in the other direction to remove even more.
I've always heard that you should be gentle, and specifically rotate counterclockwise (the direction the drum normally moves). The latter seems overly cautious to me, but being gentle makes sense.

Quote:
Do not press hard and do not move the paper up or down. Especially avoid moving the cleaning paper vertically as this will damage the video heads.
https://www.tgrantphoto.com/sales/in...ken-video-head
01-11-2022, 05:02 PM
Free Member

I don’t recall moving the paper vertically (which seems logical), never had an issue with pressing as hard as I can with the heads I maintain and have cleaned. Mainly due to space and using your finger tips, not applying enough pressure is more of an issue than applying enough to damage a head IMO.
01-11-2022, 05:05 PM
Free Member

“Youtube advice for cleaning VCRs is generally horrible, non-video know-nothing idiots teaching know-nothing newbies. Blind leading the blind.”

I hear ya. More or less if a person wanted to get a visual is what I was getting at.

Tags
jvc hr-s9911u, vhs capture, vhs capture card