02-06-2022, 07:20 AM
Free Member

looking to develop a standard for tapes that are to be transferred
should tapes be cleaned then baked or baked then cleaned ?
I was wondering if anyone has tried to use the water drop angle test described in library of congress tape baking article to check for sticky shed syndrome ?
thinking that the water drop test should be the first step. if the tape is sticky/shed then bake first or should you clean up the surface before you melt everything and possibly embed the dirt in the binder once it hardens. i do not have mold problems in my area (so California stored indoors) but was thinking that a test play in a dedicated cleaning vcr after a good check of the tape door . as its playing do a play/ffwd cleaning with iso then rewind tape doing a dry wipe with a micro fiber on way back into cassette then if all goes smoothly and there is no shedding issues move over to my svhs and capture. the water drop test could help make some initial decisions. however i have read lordsmurf say that some tapes are a one play chance at capture. i suppose that i value my vcr 9600u over pretty much any tape i would be trying to capture so priority 1 is not damaging or wearing out my svhs. then priority 2 is a standard to preserve the tapes. thoughts ?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-06-2022, 07:58 AM
Free Member

Firstly, I've not read the LOC paper you refer to. Would you mind providing a link to it please?
02-06-2022, 08:05 AM
Free Member

https://www.morressier.com/o/event/5...e2b641284abb13 here is the link look at the water drop test they do looks simple enough
02-06-2022, 09:54 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by durian View Post
looking to develop a standard for tapes
What type, exactly? (Assuming VHS for now.)

Quote:
should tapes be cleaned then baked or baked then cleaned ?
Never, unless specific issues exist.

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone has tried to use the water drop angle test described in library of congress tape baking article to check for sticky shed syndrome ?
https://www.morressier.com/o/event/5...e2b641284abb13
Tape is not generic. VHS tape is not audio tape. That test does not apply here.
And never trust a government document from a random source. If you want the official LOC, then you need to get it from the LOC website.

Quote:
i do not have mold problems in my area (so California stored indoors)
California is not special. That salt air can be corrosive, which is more worrisome than mold.

Quote:
however i have read lordsmurf say that some tapes are a one play chance at capture. i
Correct. You can either use it up during a playback, or waste it in some random (and often harebrained) "cleaning" machine/process. So only do that when absolutely needed. Also do not risk your good gear on mold or shedders.

Quote:
thoughts ?
You're overthinking things.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-06-2022, 05:18 PM
Free Member

thanks for reply lordsmurf i think we can trust the link its from american chemical society meeting presented by a guy who works at loc and has his email as loc. standard would be generally for vhs but all formats should apply. the article said that other mediums including vhs responded to tape baking he just wondered if the cassette shell would change anything in the process . can you explain how the test would not apply . i have very little knowledge in these subjects . i though that betasp, vhs ,hi 8 and audio all shared the same basic structure of " The tapes studied here are all “polyester” tapes, which are made using a polyurethane binder and coated on PET base film" at the very least someone who has knowledge in this field (not me ) should test if a known shedding tape shows the same results when a drop of water is placed on it . i do tend to overthink things . so far my checklist is inspect cassette shell for smooth door operation make sure tape is not wrinkled or damaged and make sure the reels move freely a few inches either way when the catch is pushed in. if the water test worked i would do one drop and determine if the tape was a shed/sticky if it was sticky id move to baking it if not ? go for play in the good vhs or do a tape clean in dedicated cleaning vhs. what would you recommend? what do you do when a client brings you a tape do you have any sort of checklist to prep the material ? how do you know if a tape is one of those fragile ones that has 1 play in it . should we test a short section then rewind it to see if it has shed that section.