digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Mac Users: DV Capture issues after updating to Monterey? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/12515-mac-users-dv.html)

WaxEgger 02-09-2022 07:13 PM

Mac Users: DV Capture issues after updating to Monterey?

Just today I received my M1 iMac. Yes, yes, lordsmurf, I realize that you don't prefer Mac for capture.

I have been capturing with Mac for two years. Here is my usual hardware set-up:

- JVC HR-S7800U > s-video >
- Panasonic DMR-E55 > s-video >
- Roland Edirol VMC-1 TBC / DV capture device > mini dv to firewire 800 > thunderbolt 2 > thunderbolt 3 >
- Mac (recorded in Quicktime)

I've used a 2008 iMac, 2019 MacBook Pro, and a 2018 MacBook Pro. Most recently have been using the 2008 iMac for recording.

Not until today have I had an issue. My new computer will not acknowledge the VMC-1. While trying to work through it on the phone with Apple customer service, I tried plugging it back into my MacBook Pro (which I had also recently updated to Monterey OSX, as it had always worked with previous operating systems.) For the first time ever, the device did not read on the laptop. I tried it once again in the 2008 iMac, and it showed up instantly.

While poking around in internet forums, I find other users mentioning compatibility errors they are experiencing with firewire 800. I'm curious if any one you have had this or similar issues?

Does anyone have any advice for me? As I wait for a patch or solution from Apple, I can either downgrade my software, then manually install each piece of software again. I can keep capturing on a separate device (truly not ideal.) I can pick up a USB capture device.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you! :smack:

WaxEgger 02-16-2022 11:28 AM

Turns out, the issue was a bad converter. It must've gone bad right in the midst of switching computers. Can confirm, the Roland Edirol VMC-1 does work with M1 iMac running Monterey.

WaxEgger 02-17-2022 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaxEgger (Post 82915)
Turns out, the issue was a bad converter. It must've gone bad right in the midst of switching computers. Can confirm, the Roland Edirol VMC-1 does work with M1 iMac running Monterey.

Adapter, I should say. One of the Apple adapters had gone bad exactly at the time where I switched to capturing with an older iMac which didn't need adapters.

Eric-Jan 02-18-2022 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaxEgger (Post 82947)
Adapter, I should say. One of the Apple adapters had gone bad exactly at the time where I switched to capturing with an older iMac which didn't need adapters.

Difference between the 800/400 firewire ? (power or not)
Some software/hardware are just not working on newer Mac OS versions, have 2 Mac's here for that reason…
And some capture software is not updated anymore for newer OS versions anyway.
iLink/Firewire support is not at best for Mac, is my experience.