Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-19-2022, 11:31 AM
Free Member

This might be a silly question - but it's 2022. Why can't we have a perfect conversion all-in-one?

I'm just a casual viewer of the forums, but it looks like we are using technology that is 20+ years old to get perfection. The at-home version that I have is the clearclick, which I know is not the best (which I also know is an understatement).

Is it not possible for someone to make a perfect conversion option that doesn't require the perfect VCR, the perfect TBC, the perfect capture card, the perfect software, etc. Wouldn't that company make a ton of money if they combined everything and had it actually be something that you all would approve of.

And yes, I know in another 15-20 years nobody will care because the VHS tapes will be too old to convert (right? maybe? idk) - but there is still plenty of time to create and profit.

Maybe I'm off base, idk. Don't internet bully me please.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-19-2022, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
. Wouldn't that company make a ton of money if they combined everything and had it actually be something that you all would approve of.
No they won't. You answered yourself, VHS is dead, no money to be made here. Projects to bring such a thing do/did exist but to no avail.

"all approve of" no way in hell. We still have people fighting over TBC or not to TBC. "ADVC-300 is the best eva" and people who love their unflawed perfect black AVT/cypress.

This question has been discussed many time in this forum.

Most recent ones:
read comments here mainly: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...bc-repair.html
then if you have time: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...ter-build.html
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...gn-modern.html
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...re-alternative)

While reading you might come across something called "ld-decode for vhs". It is not usable/reliable yet. Far from being there. Maybe in few years? but not now. Capture your tapes now recature later if new tech comes out.
02-19-2022, 11:51 AM
Free Member

My searching capabilities are sub-par. Is there a way to lock or delete this thread? I'll take a look at the others, thank you
02-19-2022, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

Don't worry about it. It won't be a forum if people don't ask questions.

For us, users, no there is no way to do this. Mods can if it is really something that has to be locked or deleted (sensitive content, breaking forum rules, etc). No rules broken here, it is okay to leave it I would say (ofc it is not up to me to decide lol)
02-19-2022, 08:01 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseThankYou View Post
but it looks like we are using technology that is 20+ years old
Only some the VCRs (mid 90s to mid 00s).
Not the TBCs (mid 00s)
Not the capture cards (00s to early 10s).

2022 - 20 = 2002
So most items are not even 20 years old, much less 20+ old.

"old" isn't the right term anyway. It's "legacy". Technological agism.

Quote:
to get perfection.
You'll never get perfection, and that's a fool's errand especially when it comes to videotapes. What you want it good video, all the major flaws avoided or removed. And then what you have left is the video as it actually existed on the tape. Not a tape that was visually raped by a cheap VCR, or shredded by a cheap Chinese capture device (ClearClick is awful).

Is it not possible for someone to make a perfect conversion option that doesn't require the perfect VCR, the perfect TBC, the perfect capture card, the perfect software, etc.

Quote:
Wouldn't that company make a ton of money
No.

Quote:
And yes, I know in another 15-20 years nobody will care because the VHS tapes will be too old to convert (right? maybe? idk)
That's probably accurate. Tapes have a lifespan of 35-65 years. Right now, we're about 40-45 years for 70s and early 80s tapes, and those too often have significant issues. In another 20, those same tapes will be salvage jobs (50/50 success), and all the 90s into 00s tapes will have issues. Yes, there will be some outliers that surpasses this, but not too many. (By that time, I hope to be retired, so I personally won't care too much that my accidental career field has an end date. I know some folks have felt that way about their fields, TV, telecom, etc. Very often, a big industry change was also the reason to retire.)

Quote:
Don't internet bully me please.
That should never happen at this site. I won't put up with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbassiouny View Post
While reading you might come across something called "ld-decode for vhs". It is not usable/reliable yet. Far from being there. Maybe in few years? but not now. Capture your tapes now recature later if new tech comes out.
The saddest part about this is that, if it does finally become viable, it will be far too late for many tapes. That project has been ongoing for at least 5 years now, and I can easily see it taking at least 5 more. What they're doing is admirable, I'm all for increasing quality. But the combo of open-source/community (free time), and the hardware tech simply not yet existing, it's not a good recipe for any type of speed. Odds are, it'll never be viable for more than the uber-dedicated and deep pocketed, maybe not even something I'd mess with. It's worse than current methods, not better, excluding a slight sharpness boost. Is it really worth that? At least the Laserdisc aspect (the reason ld-decoded was started) was actually obviously better, and more viable.

I'm a realist, not a pessimist. Many folks want it to work, but that's no enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseThankYou View Post
Is there a way to ... delete this thread?
It was a fair question, and others can learn from it. Let it stay.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs