02-22-2022, 07:16 AM
Premium Member

I added a Datavideo DVK-200 to my workflow for its (weak) TBC/genlock feature. Can you confirm that one must put the S-Video in and S-Video out cables in the CAM area? (See attachment) I tried S-Video in in the CAM area, and S-Video out in the BG area and them in the Output area, but video is not output in those latter cases. So that's why I assume the in and out wires go in the CAM area. But just want to make sure.

Note: For the benefit of anyone else with the DVK-200, including future me, I have attached the manual and linked.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DVK-200.jpg (43.6 KB, 17 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DVK-200_G082060474E3(A4)_20130114.pdf (2.97 MB, 6 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-22-2022, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

UPDATE: I changed the settings and discovered the proper way to attach the cables. With this setup, the proc amp knobs now have an effect. See attachment.

For the cables:
  • CAM IN: S-Video In
  • OUTPUT: S-Video Out
And for the settings, set black switches to:
  • CAM setting: S
  • BG setting: S
For the record, the dip switches are set to:
  • 1 to 8 (OFF)
  • 9 to 10 (ON)
I still have a question. With my original (incorrect) wiring (S-Video in and out in the CAM area), did I receive any TBC (genlock) benefit? Or does one only get a TBC (genlock) benefit if the S-video cable is connected to the OUTPUT area? (I need to know if I need to re-do my captures. )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DVK-200 proper connection for TBC passthrough.jpg (110.1 KB, 15 downloads)
02-22-2022, 11:44 AM
Free Member

If you were using it with a panasonic dvd-recorder in front anything after that it won't make a different most of the time, the dvd recorder should already output a stable signal. The only exceptions, at least for the PAL/international variant, are that it can output macrovision on the signal if it thinks the input is copy protected, and that it will shut off the analog outputs after a few seconds if it thinks there is no input, which can happen in some cases if the tape has been erased by making a recording with no video input.

So, unless you got Audio/video sync issues, or missing/blank video in a part, no need to re-do.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
10-02-2022, 09:52 AM
Free Member

For PAL users, DIP 1 must be ON.
10-04-2022, 09:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStrauss View Post
I added a Datavideo DVK-200 to my workflow
You must be careful with the in/out. The wrong choice puts the unit into a bypass mode, so the weak internal TBC is not used at all. You must be careful. These units had variations, so you have to test it. The I/O combo isn't always the same, unit to unit. Both 100 and 200 models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
If you were using it with a panasonic dvd-recorder in front anything after that it won't make a different most of the time, the dvd recorder should already output a stable signal.
So, unless you got Audio/video sync issues, or missing/blank video in a part, no need to re-do.
That's it. There are often problems. The ES10/15 type are just line TBC, non-TBC frame sync. No frame TBC. Chase it with DVK as weak frame. The main quality damage was from the recorder, adding DVK usually won't hurt more, and mostly actually helps.

Quote:
The only exceptions, at least for the PAL/international variant, are that it can output macrovision on the signal if it thinks the input is copy protected, and that it will shut off the analog outputs after a few seconds if it thinks there is no input, which can happen in some cases if the tape has been erased by making a recording with no video input.
Video errors are pervasive. It's not just massive obvious long visual errors that cause problems, but also the many tiny and invisible errors that add up over the duration of the transfer. The frame TBC correct those. At very least, it gives peace of mind that you don't have issues hiding on tape transfers, to be sprung on you only when you watch the full content.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-19-2022, 09:40 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
I added a Datavideo DVK-200 to my workflow
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lordsmurf
You must be careful with the in/out. The wrong choice puts the unit into a bypass mode, so the weak internal TBC is not used at all. You must be careful. These units had variations, so you have to test it.
LS, I have been mucking around with my DVK-200, experimenting! Is there a quick test to make sure it's still TBCing? In my capture window, I can see any adjustments I make to the Brightness and Contrast with the big knob. Does that mean the signal flow is through the TBC circuit?

Tags
dvk-100, dvk-200, manuals