12-26-2021, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

I have a number of Video8 tapes that are causing me issues. I have tried three different cameras and have consistently gotten the same results on all tapes. These recording were made from around 1996 to about 2001.

Just trying to figure out if getting an earlier model would play these without issues. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 video8 on trv85.mp4 (39.60 MB, 32 downloads)
File Type: mp4 video8 on trv320.mp4 (48.16 MB, 12 downloads)
File Type: mp4 video8 on trv340.mp4 (60.21 MB, 12 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-26-2021, 10:49 PM
Free Member

Your tapes were recorded on a miss aligned camcorder, so you will have to sacrifice one of the camcorders and miss align it to get a better results. But to rule out tape problems fast forward and rewind the tape to remove any tension within the tape layers.

It's incredible to see how the camcorders' DOC is working hard to compensate for the signal loss by repeating the last good scanned line.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
12-27-2021, 03:12 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
If you must misalign, I would buy another camera to misalign. But the usually-worse Hi8 VCRs may be easier to realign, so I'd go that route.

Note that Digital8 camcorders never seem to play Video8 as good as Hi8 camcorders.

When recordings are made doesn't determine much for the V8/Hi8/D8 formats. It's not VHS.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-27-2021, 06:41 AM
Free Member

Adjusting the rolling tape guides is not simple. Access to the guides normally requires partial dismantling of the camcorder, requires the right tools, is fiddly to do and can easily result in damage to the VCR or the tape or both. Great care is needed. It is probably be too difficult for most people.

Talk is cheap. Backing up claims with evidence is the gold standard. In your position, I would seek the help of someone who can demonstrate they have successfully done this work many times before and is happy to demonstrate examples of success.

Here's at least a YT video of a tech, Colin, performing the task, and talking his way through it. As he says, only certain cases can be fully corrected.

https://youtu.be/Li0PPZmVK1I

Last edited by timtape; 12-27-2021 at 06:51 AM.
The following users thank timtape for this useful post: mrmuy97 (03-11-2022), RobustReviews (12-27-2021)
03-09-2022, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Just wanted to follow-up to let you know I got this figure out. I ended up using one of my Hi8 camcorders in order to adjust the rolling tape guides. I reference the Youtube instructions that 'timtape' suggested. It is not easy and does take patience. Since these were all recorded on the same camara I only had to make minor adjusts on a few once I found the sweet spot.

I did charge the client extra.....which will help go toward another camera. I will also keep this one for future tapes that may have the same issue.

I'm afraid that if my client sent these to some "big box" service provider that they would have been told they could not get them digitized. I want to be able to do everything I can to get their footage captured before throwing in the flag.

Thanks again,

Chris
03-11-2022, 12:06 AM
Free Member

Well done Chris! With the right tool and a patient, steady hand I find it not too daunting.

After watching Colin's video I made these mods to an 8mm camcorder giving adjustment access to both guides without having to remove part of the camera case every time. Safer, quicker and doesnt leave the mechanism open to dirt and dust entry. I've written a visible mark on each guide screw to make it easy to return the guide back to "reference" when the misaligned tapes have been transferred.

BTW I dont use a questionable camcorder for this aligning job. That would put customers' tapes at unnecessary risk. The magnetically misaligned recordings in themselves are no more dangerous to the camcorder than perfectly aligned ones.

I wonder how many businesses have sincerely told customers whose recorded tapes are similarly merely misaligned that the tapes are permanently damaged and nothing can be done to fix them...

Tim

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8mm camcorder guide adjustment access mod.jpg (37.5 KB, 10 downloads)

Last edited by timtape; 03-11-2022 at 12:40 AM.
The following users thank timtape for this useful post: mrmuy97 (03-11-2022), msgohan (04-02-2022)