Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-16-2022, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

I have a Diamond VC5000 working in windows 11. I want to try to get a method for lossless capture and YUV 4:2:2. I would like to use this machine as it has very powerful graphics hardware, Nvidia RTX 308ti, CPU Ryzen 5950X and Memory 32gb, 2 NVE drives and a few more SSD and regular Hard drives allowing me to store, transcode, color grade and upscale video. I think it would be helpful to other forum members if we start a thread here that verifies capture hardware that works in windows 10 and 11. Most of the newer machines have usb3 or higher, some intel machines have thunderbolt 3 or 4 USBC ports that are high speed and may work even better. I realize the drivers and hardware exist for windows XP and that platform has well documented working solutions. So as I feel my way through the fog learning about the anomalies of VHS digital conversion I will post my progress for others. Anyone who wants to add please do.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-17-2022, 10:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
VC500 has AGC issues, random brighten/darken of image, so it needs to be avoided. In that light, it's not really a "working" card, even if the OS sees the hardware.

Nvidia does something nasty to Win10 computers, and has often been the common suspect for Win10 systems that refused to capture video. This surely continued in Win11.

Right now, you're bleeding edge by using Win11. Most people have no need or desire to get it, and indeed most computers sold still use Win10. Some of us just started to finally use Win10, reluctantly. It's been well established that each Win OS makes video capture worse, so I'd not be surprised if even more cards fail in 11 compared to 10. I've been testing cards in Win10, but it's highly variable due to other hardware like Nvidia conflicting. So the "safe Win10" list is extremely small. Impossible even, as you'll still find situations where relatively safe cards still fail a small % of the time (and yet, a huge % compared to past Win OS).

USB3, Thunderbolt -- none of that matters. No cards exist for it, nor is it needed, nor would it help anything. All are USB2 at most. HD capturing is what can use that, and has newer cards with it. But that's HD, not SD. And the HD cards do a horrible job at SD capturing. Hence why SD cards are still used for SD sources like VHS.

You feel like you're in the dark because you are. And there's not lightswitch, because Microsoft didn't think you needed one.

Capturing video is a legacy task that requires legacy hardware/software. Not bleeding edge, or even recent past years. The OS fights you, the new SD hardware is cheap Chinese crap, new HD hardware has SD as an afterthought "feature" that works poorly. It's just a sad state of affairs in the video capture world. That's why anybody that does capturing, with any seriousness (not silly Youtube clip capturing), uses dedicated capture systems based on WinXP or Win7. It's not because we like the old OS, but because it's the best tool for task.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-17-2022, 01:36 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I think it would be helpful to other forum members if we start a thread here that verifies capture hardware that works in windows 10 and 11
Laptop Asus ZenBook UX530UX-FY033R, Windows 10 Pro; Hauppauge WinTV-Live 2 (USB-Live 2, model 1341); AmaRecTV 3.10: video 720x576, YUY2, HuffYUV; audio 48KHz, 16bit, 2 channels; works perfectly.
No plan to move to Windows 11 (yet).

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
03-20-2022, 07:44 AM
Free Member

I can't vouch for Windows 11, but I can tell you that with Win 10, the IOData GV-USB2 and the Startech USB3HDCAP work flawlessly with VDub (including the histogram). For both, Graphstudio can be used to control the Proc Amp in real time during capture.
03-20-2022, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

So I got the Huffyuv 32 and 64 bit extensions to install on windows 11 and show up in virtualdub 64 bit. The first thing that you must do after unziping the files is to go to preferences and unblock the files, windows 11 and windows 10 block use of all downloaded files until you do this. Next copy the 32 bit dll and inf files to SysWOW64 and the 64bit files to system32. Next you can install the 32 bit files by copying the files to the directory listed on the command line in the win7 tutorial. For the 64 bit this did not work, i had to go to system32 find the inf file and right click on it and choose more options then choose install, this did it! ( on win10 and win 7 the right click will show the install). I let you know how it all goes, waiting for my new deck a Mitsubishi HS HR2000U to arrive! I will make a full Win 11 tutorial when I get the whole workflow installed and let the form members check out the results.
03-20-2022, 11:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
See also: https://github.com/hofmand/video-codec-installers

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-21-2022, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

I saw that was added but did not see an exe or msi to download. Anyway if mine does not work for any reason I will try the new installer if I can figure out how to download it!
03-21-2022, 02:16 PM
Free Member

I've ended up just using ut video as capture codec as it's still being updated, though huffyuv should work with the linked thing. You have to click on the right side of the page (direct link here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
I can't vouch for Windows 11, but I can tell you that with Win 10, the IOData GV-USB2 and the Startech USB3HDCAP work flawlessly with VDub (including the histogram). For both, Graphstudio can be used to control the Proc Amp in real time during capture.
Can second the IOData working without issues in win10. Diamond VC500 worked without issues last time I've tried but been a few months since I used that one.

Empia-based cards I've tried caused bluescreen last time I tested on win10. Suspect most still do, maybe there are some that have updated drivers.

I use an Avermedia Extremecap U3 for capture from hdmi and component outputs on win10 though it's buggy so wouldn't recommend. Needs the driver from a different card for audio to not be completely borked (or running some weird app in the background), with virtualdub I get audio offset (though constant), and amarectv tends to not pick up 25/30 fps modes, and it seems to not support 29.97 only 30..

Suspect win11 would be similar but have no reason (or ability) to upgrade on the computer.

Haven't tested any of the pci capture devices on win10 as I don't have any reason to put win10 on any computer I have with pci.

Tags
capture, windows 10, windows 11