Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-22-2022, 04:59 AM
Free Member

Hi again guys, here to give an update on my capturing VHS equipment. I managed to get a Panasonic DMR-ES15 for a very cheap price, due to it's DVD part not working. It's either a blown capacitor, or the dvd laser itself. Unfortunately, I had shipped the purchase I made to the old address. I have been talking to our old neighbors to see how to get it to my family's current address. As for the VCR, this JVC vcr has not been helping much and now I have more issues with the picture. So I asked my cousin to get me a Sharp VCR as a birthday gift. It should be on its way to where we live very soon.
I am appoligizing for not giving updates, but I'm about to start life as a grown up. I'll be soon out of high school and such.
I also recently bought this Barney tape from a seller. It's not a first generation master, but it looks really good.
Images are below in attachments.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220322-054452_Mercari.jpg (275.4 KB, 23 downloads)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220322-054511_Mercari.jpg (238.3 KB, 15 downloads)
File Type: jpg Barney Snapshot.jpg (69.0 KB, 22 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-22-2022, 07:18 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Ah, we had to suffer that dinosaur thing here - I have vague memories of seeing bits of it on early morning weekend telly, it was boundlessly saccharine if I recall? Sesame Street was considered a touch like that here sometimes (we didn't have an internationalised version, being shown uncut, full-fat CTW versions) but still regarded as high quality, wholesome and educational but I think Barney was even seen by the audience as a bit, erm, corny in places.

I think the big purple fella was a cultural shorthand here for overly sweet Americana and a major constituent part of the repertoire of scarcely talented stand-up comedians for a while.

Mind you, I would probably have been getting ready to go to work when I saw it, so not aimed at me.

Can't speak as to the US market but we've tried a few Sharp machines, they're rather a mixed bag toward the end in the European market but there's no doubt far, far worse equipment out there.

I hope you get the delivery mix-up sorted soon!
03-22-2022, 07:29 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustReviews View Post
Ah, we had to suffer that dinosaur thing here - I have vague memories of seeing bits of it on early morning weekend telly, it was boundlessly saccharine if I recall? Sesame Street was considered a touch like that here sometimes (we didn't have an internationalised version, being shown uncut, full-fat CTW versions) but still regarded as high quality, wholesome and educational but I think Barney was even seen by the audience as a bit, erm, corny in places.

I think the big purple fella was a cultural shorthand here for overly sweet Americana and a major constituent part of the repertoire of scarcely talented stand-up comedians for a while.

Mind you, I would probably have been getting ready to go to work when I saw it, so not aimed at me.

Can't speak as to the US market but we've tried a few Sharp machines, they're rather a mixed bag toward the end in the European market but there's no doubt far, far worse equipment out there.

I hope you get the delivery mix-up sorted soon!
I am from America and this is an American VCR. As far as lordsmurf told me, these are the best in terms of stereo composite (Red, Yellow, and White cables) VCRs. I can't find the year, but I assume this was from mid to late 90s. Barney was my childhood and I can't find really a reason to hate it. I still love this show as I did back then.

Last edited by ThomasFan1945Pro; 03-22-2022 at 07:46 AM.
03-22-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasFan1945Pro View Post
I am from America and this is an American VCR. As far as lordsmurf told me, these are the best in terms of stereo composite (Yed, Yellow, and White cables) VCRs. I can't find the year, but I assume this was from mid to late 90s.
Looks about right, no idea what makes them special with regards to stereo but they're probably a good unit. In the mid-late 90s and Sharp were still a major concern and still 'rolling their own' before resorting to some rather uncromulent transports toward the end.

We have one from around this era in storage, I recall it being quite a good little playback machine. I'm probably slightly anti-Sharp due to them being the shirt sponsor of some football club or another in the 1990s and my team (sponsored by JVC at the time, no less) fighting for supremcy... These divides run deep. No doubt some sort of subconscious association.

Composite 'is' composite really; it's mixed paint. Unmixing it is the tricky bit.

I'm almost certain you'll get good results from it.
03-22-2022, 07:54 AM
Free Member

The DVD recorder as far as I'm aware, I should have it in the coming weeks from my neighbors.

Also, there is a video surrounding this VCR.
https://youtu.be/q7eIODWkZnA
03-22-2022, 08:17 AM
Free Member

Brand loyalty eh, RR? "JVC" always sounded cooler/more soph than plain old "Sharp". Nowadays there's just Apple loyalty and the rest of us!
03-22-2022, 08:18 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Brand loyalty eh, RR? "JVC" always sounded cooler/more soph than plain old "Sharp". Nowadays there's just Apple loyalty and the rest of us!
The JVC unit I had has SVideo and Composite, but had tracking issues. I decided it was better to get a Sharp Unit with Stereo.
The following users thank ThomasFan1945Pro for this useful post: Hushpower (03-22-2022)
03-22-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Watching Dennis Bergkamp and Ian Wright take the Spuds apart in JVC shirts probably did affect me greatly.... Solskjær played in a Sharp shirt, who's obviously still considered the primary Norwegian export here.

That said, I'm a Sony fan for broadcast equipment and Panasonic for domestic

Tracking issues can often be adjusted away with the service manual, it's a semi-routine service adjustment and it will naturally 'wander' as the components age, it's not a symptom of anything in a good deal of cases; some rather erroneously conflate it with video-head wear which is not always true.

Your JVC deck might just need ranging and potentially tape-path adjustment. These however require kit and knowledge to accomplish properly so it's not a solution for everybody.

Last edited by RobustReviews; 03-22-2022 at 08:59 AM.
03-22-2022, 10:15 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Watching Dennis Bergkamp and Ian Wright take the Spuds apart in JVC shirts probably did affect me greatly.... Solskjær played in a Sharp shirt, who's obviously still considered the primary Norwegian export here.

That said, I'm a Sony fan for broadcast equipment and Panasonic for domestic

Tracking issues can often be adjusted away with the service manual, it's a semi-routine service adjustment and it will naturally 'wander' as the components age, it's not a symptom of anything in a good deal of cases; some rather erroneously conflate it with video-head wear which is not always true.

Your JVC deck might just need ranging and potentially tape-path adjustment. These however require kit and knowledge to accomplish properly so it's not a solution for everybody.
I tried this, but it has not worked out with older tapes either.
This is why I'm getting the most reliable brand that was recommended in the VCR Guide on this site. It's better to be happy with an composite VCR, with Stereo nothing more. It's better than me spending time trying to fix something that I can't fix. I tried for over a month getting the best results and nothing works well for me.
03-22-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I tried this, but it has not worked out with older tapes either.
This is why I'm getting the most reliable brand that was recommended in the VCR Guide on this site. It's better to be happy with an composite VCR, with Stereo nothing more. It's better than me spending time trying to fix something that I can't fix. I tried for over a month getting the best results and nothing works well for me.
You're not wrong. It may not be a total loss though, keep hold of it if you still have it.

Without proper equipment setting them up can be a right pain in the socket, especially with HiFi machines which do need very precise adjustments and require a couple of bits of test gear to do.

Good luck with it, it should serve you very well.
03-22-2022, 11:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
Quote:
Panasonic DMR-ES15 for a very cheap price, due to it's DVD part not working. It's either a blown capacitor, or the dvd laser itself.
The DVD drive not working is never caps. It's either drive or board issues. Usually board issues. That means the unit is bad. This is why I often refuse to buy from Mercari. You have only 3 days to to return a bad item, which is too often with this sort of gear. It's actually worse than eBay, which is pretty terrible these days for video gear. You may go through lots of effort for a dud, lots of wasted shipping money. It's yours now, no returns.

Quote:
As for the VCR, this JVC vcr
Exact model?

Quote:
Sharp VCR as a birthday gift.
Remember, condition matters, not just model #. Sharp units were good at tracking EP, less tearing/timing issues than some playback decks. But it's been 20-30 years since those were new. Most will need cleaning, and probably some realign.

Quote:
Ah, we had to suffer that dinosaur thing here
"I love you, you love me."

Quote:
Can't speak as to the US market but we've tried a few Sharp machines, they're rather a mixed bag toward the end
Sharp EOL decks were pretty lousy, in the 2000s. You want mid/late 90s Sharp.

Quote:
I am from America and this is an American VCR. As far as lordsmurf told me, these are the best in terms of stereo composite (Red, Yellow, and White cables) VCRs. I can't find the year, but I assume this was from mid to late 90s.
Correct.

Quote:
Looks about right, no idea what makes them special with regards to stereo but they're probably a good unit. In the mid-late 90s and Sharp were still a major concern and still 'rolling their own' before resorting to some rather uncromulent transports toward the end.
(You really like that word. )

But yes, that's very accurate.
- Sharp in mid/late 90s = good
- Sharp in 2000s, EOL = not great aside from SP, more timing issues, bleed

Quote:
The JVC unit I had has SVideo and Composite, but had tracking issues. I decided it was better to get a Sharp Unit with Stereo.
It may need realign, if heads not worn or damaged.

Quote:
Nah. If the deck is too far gone to be useful, and not a with-TBC model, then be a little fearless. The worst you can do is screw it more, and still not use it. In which case ... so what? Nothing lost.

Quote:
Good luck with it, it should serve you very well.
I don't know about "very well", but it's a better setup than random VCRs and no TBC of any kind. So while an upgrade from bottom end consumer gear (but still consumer gear), it's still a ways off from prosumer and pro gear. Just something to keep in mind.

Why does this matter? The pro gear tends to be better cared for, better condition. With some exceptions, such as gear made for gov/edu, where non-video people (ab)used it. The consumer home VCRs and DVD recorders were subject to smokers, kids with PB&J sandwiches, etc. Very (ab)used gear. Always remember this when buying.

BTW, that non-working ES10/15 could also be a unit that smells like an ashtray. Cigarettes and electronics do not mix, and that often zapped optics and boards. The units have "lung cancer" of sorts.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-27-2022, 10:17 PM
Free Member

This Panasonic DMR-ES15 should work, plus there's really no need for the dvd part. I can simply capture tape footage through my capture device as pass through, instead of recording on DVDs. I'll never know until I have my hands on it and hopefully soon gets to where I'm currently at rn.

As for the VCR, I'm not exactly sure on year. It didn't have a year on the back as I seen in the pictures. I even looked up the Sharp VCR model and no exact year, or manual I can't find no where.

As for the JVC VCR, we already discussed about it a long time ago. The model is Hr-s8009-um and I had to find an usable remote for it.
I have a feeling this VCR was made in the 2000s, which is why it's been giving me more issues than I needed to deal with. I tried everything to fix the pictures on my old tapes, but nothing works. I decided I needed to move on and find different VHS capture equipment.

I decided that I was better off getting an Sharp VCR and the Panasonic DMR-ES15 as my new capture set up through my Dazzle DVC 100. As of late, my Windows XP PC has gotten so much dust, that the fan became blaring loud. I need to clean and remove all the dust that's in it. But, I still have my Windows 10 laptop to capture tapes, now that I have a USB Flash Drive to capture my tapes with.

Currently, I have plans to capture tapes through the VCR for upload purposes. However, I might have to put that on hold until my Panasonic DMR-ES15 comes in. I've already been through hell just trying to send it back to refund, along with planning reshipping it. It's currently at my old address and my neighbors from my hometown are helping me put sending it to where I'm currently at.

And for god sake, I haven't captured anything because of this JVC VCR giving me trouble.

Hopefully, all of this will be worth the wait.
And thanks again lordsmurf for all your help.
I wouldn't have made this journey without your help and everyone here at digitialfaq.
I'll contact the seller and see if there was any other issues with the player.
Contact me again if you have anything else on your mind you need to tell me.

-- merged --

My Panasonic DMR-ES15 is on its way from my neighbors in my hometown. As for my VCR, it looks really picture perfect, along with very clean stereo sound.

-- merged --

So the Panasonic DMR-ES15 came in early. The problem was that the disc tray wouldn't open or close.

-- merged --

Update, the disc tray is working now after following an turorial. The Panasonic DMR-ES15 isn't reading discs, but I can still use as an passthrough.

-- merged --

New and final update. The Panasonic DMR-ES15 is working just fine. It can read discs, just change the channel first, then insert disc. So I basically got the Panasonic DMR-ES15 for a really cheap price, lol. XD

-- merged --

Here's a new capture test, deinterlaced with Sony Vegas.
https://youtu.be/nWLR8KeVRcI