Quantcast Convert Hi8 tapes to digital files? - digitalFAQ Forum
  #1  
04-07-2022, 12:42 PM
jsj2251 jsj2251 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 20
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello guys, i need your help!!

I have two questions.

I'm using Sony ccd-sc7 hi8 model and I want to convert hi8 tape to digital file.

1. I looked around and found that I need to get a digital8 model with TBC, DNR, and S-Video functions.
Which model is the right choice?

2. My workflow
hi8 tape->digital8(TBC,DNR,S-Video)->capture card->desktop capture->encoding
Is this the right process?

The purpose is for making indie music videos.

thanks to read!
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
04-07-2022, 05:22 PM
msgohan msgohan is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,323
Thanked 329 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post
hello guys, i need your help!!
[...]
The purpose is for making indie music videos.
Does that purpose really deserve our help in the Capture, Record, Transfer subforum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post
I'm using Sony ccd-sc7 hi8 model and I want to convert hi8 tape to digital file.

1. I looked around and found that I need to get a digital8 model with TBC, DNR, and S-Video functions.
Which model is the right choice?
This seems to me like clashing goals. You're going for a lo-fi aesthetic by shooting your video on Hi8 in current year, but then you're going to use our hi-fi methods intended for transferring old recordings?

Just use your recording camera as the player. Add a '90s video mixer like Videonics MX-1 to enhance the retro aesthetic of your editing and assist as a TBC (or "TBCish", at least) in your capture workflow.




Examples of time base errors, TBCs?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
04-08-2022, 05:22 AM
jsj2251 jsj2251 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 20
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your answer!!
(I am not good at English so little wierd.sorry.)

Then, do I not need any other equipment other than old video mixer for lo-fi texture?
(like VCRs,any other TBCs,capture cards,DVD recorder,DV capture box,etc...)

Can you recommend a little more for the video mixer model? (If mx-1 is the best, it's okay!)

As you said, is this the right workflow?
hi8 camera->video mixer->desktop

Is there a place where I can get information about lo-fi conversion?

Reply With Quote
  #4  
04-08-2022, 05:24 AM
jsj2251 jsj2251 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 20
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
Does that purpose really deserve our help in the Capture, Record, Transfer subforum?


This seems to me like clashing goals. You're going for a lo-fi aesthetic by shooting your video on Hi8 in current year, but then you're going to use our hi-fi methods intended for transferring old recordings?

Just use your recording camera as the player. Add a '90s video mixer like Videonics MX-1 to enhance the retro aesthetic of your editing and assist as a TBC (or "TBCish", at least) in your capture workflow.


Examples of time base errors, TBCs?

Thank you for your answer!!
(I am not good at English so little wierd.sorry.)

Then, do I not need any other equipment other than old video mixer for lo-fi texture?
(like VCRs,any other TBCs,capture cards,DVD recorder,DV capture box,etc...)

Can you recommend a little more for the video mixer model? (If mx-1 is the best, it's okay!)

As you said, is this the right workflow?
hi8 camera->video mixer->desktop

Is there a place where I can get information about lo-fi conversion?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
04-08-2022, 05:54 AM
RobustReviews RobustReviews is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: London - UK
Posts: 554
Thanked 85 Times in 74 Posts
After Effects is cheaper and less effort, but there's a learning curve. I do not know if you're skilled in using AE?

If you want to get it 'right' in camera then disregard what I'm saying, but you could spend a lot of time and money getting frustrated to accomplish something you could do in 30 minutes in After Effects.

I use it a lot for cartoonish lo-fi material, but also to create a genuine-looking footage blend when we mix new and old.

I'm a huge Vaporwave nut, so this sort of thing interests me greatly.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
04-08-2022, 07:20 AM
jsj2251 jsj2251 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 20
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustReviews View Post
After Effects is cheaper and less effort, but there's a learning curve. I do not know if you're skilled in using AE?

If you want to get it 'right' in camera then disregard what I'm saying, but you could spend a lot of time and money getting frustrated to accomplish something you could do in 30 minutes in After Effects.

I use it a lot for cartoonish lo-fi material, but also to create a genuine-looking footage blend when we mix new and old.

I'm a huge Vaporwave nut, so this sort of thing interests me greatly.

Thank you for your answer!

there are various video editing tools and various plugins and filters in the world.
And we can use them to create a similar kind of analog feel.

But they're kind of clumsy, or awkward. It's like watching a well-made blockbuster CG.

I think the rough feeling of real analog comes from using analog equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
04-08-2022, 09:54 AM
msgohan msgohan is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,323
Thanked 329 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post
Then, do I not need any other equipment other than old video mixer for lo-fi texture?
(like VCRs,any other TBCs,capture cards,DVD recorder,DV capture box,etc...)
That is my recommendation, yes. Bearing in mind that I have never used one of these mixers, myself. I suggest doing a forum search for some more info.

Here are a few posts I found:
Is a TBC the solution to my woes?
Using DataVideo SE-500 mixer as TBC?
Vidonics MX1 TBC pops, clicks, dropouts?
Converting CEDs to digital - possible TBC issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post
As you said, is this the right workflow?
hi8 camera->video mixer->desktop
Your original proposed workflow:
hi8 tape->digital8(TBC,DNR,S-Video)->capture card->desktop capture->encoding

My suggestion:
hi8 tape->any hi8 camcorder->video mixer->capture card->desktop capture->encoding

On the computer side, still use a lossless 4:2:2 capture solution since the goal is analog artifacts, not digital artifacts. If you want a specific capture device recommendation, let us know whereabouts in the world you reside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post
Can you recommend a little more for the video mixer model? (If mx-1 is the best, it's okay!)

Is there a place where I can get information about lo-fi conversion?
Sorry, we've reached the limits of my knowledge on this topic. Seems there are a lot of tweakers on YouTube messing around with old mixers to create video art. Maybe they can help.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
04-08-2022, 11:51 AM
jsj2251 jsj2251 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 20
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
That is my recommendation, yes. Bearing in mind that I have never used one of these mixers, myself. I suggest doing a forum search for some more info.

Here are a few posts I found:
Is a TBC the solution to my woes?
Using DataVideo SE-500 mixer as TBC?
Vidonics MX1 TBC pops, clicks, dropouts?
Converting CEDs to digital - possible TBC issues



Your original proposed workflow:
hi8 tape->digital8(TBC,DNR,S-Video)->capture card->desktop capture->encoding

My suggestion:
hi8 tape->any hi8 camcorder->video mixer->capture card->desktop capture->encoding

On the computer side, still use a lossless 4:2:2 capture solution since the goal is analog artifacts, not digital artifacts. If you want a specific capture device recommendation, let us know whereabouts in the world you reside.


Sorry, we've reached the limits of my knowledge on this topic. Seems there are a lot of tweakers on YouTube messing around with old mixers to create video art. Maybe they can help.
Thank you for your detailed answer!

i live in south korea Please recommend a capture card!

and.. so Why use a lossless 4:2:2 capture card? Does hi8 tape use 4:2:2 sampling? Isn't that a digital term?

And I have a capture card called I-O DATA GV-USB2. Is this useless to me?

Reply With Quote
  #9  
04-08-2022, 08:04 PM
Hushpower Hushpower is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 410
Thanked 69 Times in 67 Posts
Quote:
And I have a capture card called I-O DATA GV-USB2. Is this useless to me?
Absolutely not! I love my GV-USB2. I'm on Windows 10 64bit and the GV is bulletproof. It always just works. Quality is on a par with the Pinnacle 710-USB and the Startech USB3HDCAP capture sticks.

The setup is in Japanese but if you follow this guide:

https://iotku.pw/gvusb2-guide/

You'll have no problem getting it installed.

For capturing, I use Virtual Dub 1.9.11, capturing into HUFFYUV or Lagarith lossless format. That will be in 4:2:2 colour (Don't ask me how or why that's good! ).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
04-09-2022, 05:26 AM
jsj2251 jsj2251 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 20
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Absolutely not! I love my GV-USB2. I'm on Windows 10 64bit and the GV is bulletproof. It always just works. Quality is on a par with the Pinnacle 710-USB and the Startech USB3HDCAP capture sticks.

The setup is in Japanese but if you follow this guide:

https://iotku.pw/gvusb2-guide/

You'll have no problem getting it installed.

For capturing, I use Virtual Dub 1.9.11, capturing into HUFFYUV or Lagarith lossless format. That will be in 4:2:2 colour (Don't ask me how or why that's good! ).

Thank you for your detailed answer!

Can I ask you a few questions?

I have hi8 camera, usb capture card,
There is no VCR or TBC device
If I need them, do you have any model recommendations?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convert VHS tapes to digital? lidorariel2310 Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 3 02-21-2021 04:47 PM
Its time to convert Family VHS tapes to the digital world enphenate Capture, Record, Transfer 3 03-12-2013 03:40 AM
Beta home tapes to DVD? How to Convert Betamax to digital? rocko Project Planning, Workflows 4 07-14-2011 11:23 PM
How to convert MV4 to MP4 video files ? gatch72 Encode, Convert for streaming 1 02-20-2009 02:39 PM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM