08-04-2017, 01:02 PM
Free Member

So I recently pulled out my ES10 and will be starting to digitize some VHS tapes.

I am trying to remember how to setup the passthrough for this model. I recall to connect to Line IN1 but should it be composite only? or S-Video? Should the Output be S-Video Only? Finally, disable DNR for ES10?

My current flow is a JVC SVHS player > ES10 > ATI600USB > Windows 10

I have an old vintage Vidimate no model number. Not sure if I should leave it out of the flow.

Anyone happen to know the passthrough setup?

Thx
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Why would you use ugly soiled noisy composite connections when you have cleaner sharper s-video available from your VCR and from your ES10? Use s-video. Turn off the ES10's DNR.

The ES10 is used as pass-thru if you have a VCR that doesn't have a line tbc. Are you sure you want to use the ES10? Doesn't your JVC SVHS machine have a line tbc? What model JVC are you using?

The old Vidicraft processor doesn't have s-video connections. For that very reason I wouldn't use it, as well as because of the aging conditions of electronics inside that ancient unit. It is basically used to control the brightness, contrast, and saturation levels of an incoming signal to prevent illegal signal levels and clipping in your captured video. You can accomplish the same thing with the ATI 600's proc amp controls, which you should be able to use via your capture software, VirtualDub capture, or AmarecTV, as well as using a histogram of some sort to measure the input signal and view your results in preview. I assume you understand the importance of capturing analog video at suitable signal levels. If you expect to also apply color correction and/or sharpening during capture, you're in for severely disappointing results -- that's the kind of correction that should be applied in post-processing.
08-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Remember sanlyn, he's asking because he may not know the "easy" things like we do. (ie, s-video vs. composite)

ES10 passthrough is simple.
- s-video in to LINE 1 (on the back) works fine
- turn ES10 on, change to LINE 1 input
- rear output to the next item (external TBC or capture card)

It's pretty much automatic, nothing to setup.

If I remember correctly, the final models of Vidicraft gear had s-video, before being renamed to Studio1 (later again renamed to SignVideo). However, you can crossover with some TBCs, namely the AVT-8710. So you'd have:

VCR > via s-video > ES10 > via s-video > AVT-8710 > via composite > Vidicraft > via composite > capture card

Of course, you'll still encounter the quality loss. The disadvantages of the proc amp or detailer may be outweighed by the potential advantages. They usually are, but not always. The tape and your eyes will have to judge that.

Even with ES10, a good VCR is needed. But remember that if using an S-VHS deck with TBC that the TBC must be disabled. The ES10 needs to bad signal for cleaning. Let it and later TBCs in the workflow chain fix the signal and image.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: dinkleberg (03-12-2018)
04-29-2018, 06:00 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Remember sanlyn, he's asking because he may not know the "easy" things like we do. (ie, s-video vs. composite)

ES10 passthrough is simple.
- s-video in to LINE 1 (on the back) works fine
What is LINE1? It is not S-Video, but SCART cable?
05-22-2020, 10:26 AM
Free Member

Quote:
What is LINE1? It is not S-Video, but SCART cable?
On my Australian version, Line 1 is through the top Scart socket on the back.
The following users thank Hushpower for this useful post: gaborHU (07-01-2021)
03-24-2022, 08:22 PM
Free Member

My european model line 1 is on the top scart socket too. The only s-video input in the front one.
The following users thank javidial for this useful post: srmusico (03-26-2022)
04-03-2022, 06:22 PM
Free Member

Hello!

Quote:
But remember that if using an S-VHS deck with TBC that the TBC must be disabled.
Can you please explain, why S-VHS TBC must be disabled if I use dmr-es10 passthrough. And what about JVC S-VHS video stabilizer?

Thank you
04-03-2022, 06:42 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST332 View Post
Can you please explain, why S-VHS TBC must be disabled if I use dmr-es10 passthrough.
The first device in any workflow that performs line TBC "locks it in". Any further devices in the chain capable of line TBC can't improve it further, because the information necessary to do so has been stripped and replaced by the first device.

It isn't literally true that you "must" disable your VCR's line TBC when used with DMR-ES10 passthrough, but if you enable it, the ES10 is only performing frame sync correction at that point.

Quoting Lordsmurf's fuller statement since you trimmed out the end:
Quote:
But remember that if using an S-VHS deck with TBC that the TBC must be disabled. The ES10 needs [the] bad signal for cleaning. Let it and later TBCs in the workflow chain fix the signal and image.
With VCR TBC enabled, ES10 receives "cleaned" horizontal signals along with "partly-cleaned frame timing" signals. (In technical terms, the VCR TBCs I've checked always replace the tape's VSync with their own generated signal, but they don't actually fully rebuild the fields like frame syncs/full frame TBCs do. The exception being the JVC D-VHS models that are known for their "full frame" correction.)

Shrek_-_small_VSYNC_-_TBC_Off.jpg
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Quote:
And what about JVC S-VHS video stabilizer?
Doesn't have to be disabled, but the "Video stabilizer" is known to often make things worse. Perhaps more often than it improves anything.

Last edited by msgohan; 04-03-2022 at 07:01 PM.
04-05-2022, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
VCR > via s-video > ES10 > via s-video > AVT-8710 > via composite > Vidicraft > via composite > capture card

Even with ES10, a good VCR is needed. But remember that if using an S-VHS deck with TBC that the TBC must be disabled. The ES10 needs to bad signal for cleaning. Let it and later TBCs in the workflow chain fix the signal and image.
If you have a recommended S-VHS player (JVC HR-S7900U) and a recommended FF-TBC (TBC-1000), what would be the benefit of disabling the S-VHS line TBC and using the DMR-ES10 instead? Is that really benefiting your image? Why not just use the built-in line TBC in your S-VHS player?

Spending time and money on a bygone era