Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-23-2022, 06:51 PM
Free Member

I've been piecing a machine together and think I may be missing something.

I have the following so far.

ASRock P4V88
Pentium 4 2.8ghz Processor
4GB RAM
AIW 2006 Edition 256mb AGP capture card (NOS so all cables are included)
1200W ATX power supply
Cheap ATX case that everything fits in.

So my question is am I missing anything else. I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with any pre i-series builds so not sure if I'm missing something super basic. I'm pretty sure I need a gpu of some kind for video output but not sure if the AIW can handle that for me or not.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-24-2022, 06:41 AM
Free Member

The All-in-Wonder is indeed a capable GPU. That was the whole idea: graphics + capture card all-in-one (...der).

You didn't list storage. It's recommended to have separate OS and capture drives.
04-24-2022, 08:08 AM
Free Member

soundcard is missing too
04-24-2022, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwillia3 View Post
4GB RAM
How many sticks and what exactly are they (specs listed on sticker)

Quote:
1200W ATX power supply
Why? You need a tiny fraction of that wattage. 80+ Gold certified? Which one is it?

Quote:
Cheap ATX case that everything fits in.
"Cheap" like a real piece of junk (power supply located at top)? Or just a nice inexpensive choice like a Carbide 200R?

Are you doing Win XP or 7?

Some suggestions:

Power supply - EVGA 500W (way more than you'll use) 80+ Gold w/ active PFC
https://www.newegg.com/evga-500-gd-1...82E16817438158

Windows OS drive - Samsung 870 Evo 500GB SSD (format in NTFS)
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-500gb...82E16820147792

Initial capture drive - Samsung 870 Evo 2TB SSD (format in exFAT)
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-2tb-8...82E16820147794

Archive drive(s) - preferably a NAS, enterprise, etc, SATA drive 4TB+ (format in exFAT) whichever brand you prefer and whichever capacity you need, can get 2 and keep a mirrored backup if so desired
WD Gold or Black or Red, Seagate Ironwolf Pro, WD Blue if you're being cheap, take the time to let a full write-read test run before putting hard drives into use when possible

If you're used to doing M.2 builds just remember you need to get the SATA cables too

recommended vcr+line tbc ---(y/c)--> lordsmurf frame tbc ---(sdi+y/c)--> capture in windows 7
04-24-2022, 01:47 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmuy97 View Post
How many sticks and what exactly are they (specs listed on sticker)

Why? You need a tiny fraction of that wattage. 80+ Gold certified? Which one is it?

"Cheap" like a real piece of junk (power supply located at top)? Or just a nice inexpensive choice like a Carbide 200R?

Are you doing Win XP or 7?

Some suggestions:

Power supply - EVGA 500W (way more than you'll use) 80+ Gold w/ active PFC
https://www.newegg.com/evga-500-gd-1...82E16817438158

Windows OS drive - Samsung 870 Evo 500GB SSD (format in NTFS)
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-500gb...82E16820147792

Initial capture drive - Samsung 870 Evo 2TB SSD (format in exFAT)
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-2tb-8...82E16820147794

Archive drive(s) - preferably a NAS, enterprise, etc, SATA drive 4TB+ (format in exFAT) whichever brand you prefer and whichever capacity you need, can get 2 and keep a mirrored backup if so desired
WD Gold or Black or Red, Seagate Ironwolf Pro, WD Blue if you're being cheap, take the time to let a full write-read test run before putting hard drives into use when possible

If you're used to doing M.2 builds just remember you need to get the SATA cables too
Thanks for all the help. I forgot to list my drives but I have a 256GB and 2TB SSD for the build that will come out of my current capture machine. The RAM is 4x1gb sticks that came with the motherboard so they should be good to go. I'm using a discontinued Rosewill case I got a few years ago for $15, not a bad case at all just cheap. The 1200W was being repurposed platinum I had left over from consolidating mining rigs a few months ago, if there is justification for a smaller one other than overkill I have no issue grabbing one. For archive storage I have my 200TB array that I'm using for my current machine so good on that front.

I was thinking XP since that is the lordsmurf recommended OS for using the AIW cards.

And thanks for the detailed list of things to look at.
04-25-2022, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Ah alright so you have a pretty good handle on it overall. Some of the P4 chips could cook themselves if poor cooling was used, but I think the 2.8GHz chips were fine. Still if you can get a good aftermarket cooler for it with MX-4, I'd recommend that, as the OEM ones back then were trash. Just for peace of mind and/or insurance. Personally I'd run Memtest on the sticks for a day or two and then after XP is all installed and configured and drivers are in, Prime95 for a day or two. Then you know you're good to go. No other reason for the PSU change if that's definitely a quality one. And you've got storage sorted. If you've never done the legacy installs just pop into the BIOS and make sure everything is configured properly, there might be SATA/IDE settings to change, AHCI, onboard/AGP default graphics, etc. The XP SSD will need to be MBR and you could do partition 1 for the OS @ 80GB (or whatever you're comfortable with, it can be way less) as NTFS and partition 2 the remainder so you can have the larger non-OS partition as exFAT. I like to do it with diskpart /clean and start fresh with re-initializing the disk as MBR and manually setting it up from there in the command prompt so it's already prepped when you get to it in the XP installer. Depending on your WinXP source, not sure if SP3 had exFAT support so you may need to download the update for it. If you have a pre-SP3 source I'd highly recommend slipstreaming SP3 into it before installation.

recommended vcr+line tbc ---(y/c)--> lordsmurf frame tbc ---(sdi+y/c)--> capture in windows 7