Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-29-2022, 05:35 AM
Free Member

The long awaited capture device from SingMai is finally available for order, full fledged device, everything under the hood. Only two drawbacks, Expensive and no USB3, not that it affects the way it works but an additional SDI to USB3 adapter or SDI PCIe card is required.

https://www.singmai.com/Modules/sm03.html

TBC feature:

Attached Images
File Type: png TBC.png (389.7 KB, 109 downloads)

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: lollo2 (04-29-2022), msgohan (04-29-2022), spokenward (05-02-2022)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-29-2022, 05:43 AM
Free Member

It seems an excellent piece of hardware. Unfortunately no Y/C input.

If you have time, could you please post some comparison with BrigthEye 75 and SW for both image quality and lineTBC correction?

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
04-29-2022, 06:03 AM
Free Member

It does have the Y/C input, read the specs, this is the latest version, they probably forgot to update the user manual. I don't have one to make comparison and I'm not buying one unless it's under $300 or SingMai decided to send me one for testing purposes.

04-29-2022, 06:03 AM
Free Member

The description does note Y/C input using 2 bnc plugs.

EDIT: latreche34 also replied while I was typing

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU

Last edited by hodgey; 04-29-2022 at 06:42 AM.
04-29-2022, 06:32 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
The description does note Y/C input using 2 bnc plugs.
And it comes with S-Video to Y/C extension for consumer VCR's and camcorders.
04-29-2022, 06:47 AM
Free Member

Excellent, I was referring to a previous release published some time ago then

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
04-29-2022, 11:07 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Is this the unit that plays faster than realtime? Because that's not good for the tapes, will enhance problems like timing, and promote problems like oxide shedding.

Is that Youtube video showing NR? I can think of dozens of things a VCR should do, and NR doesn't make the list, especially given how Avisynth can process.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-29-2022, 02:16 PM
Free Member

No, this is just a capture device not a VCR, The screen shot is to demonstrate line timing even in extreme conditions like fast forwarding a tape, I don't believe it meant to capture tapes in fast forward.

04-29-2022, 02:22 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Going to have a think about these over the weekend, might pull the trigger on one with a view to buy a handful if they're as promised.

Been watching with interest, they're a UK firm as well which makes it a bit more tolerable, I'll contact them and see what the VAT status is on them.

I'm very impressed with the documentation, nicely described and demonstrated with actual test data for digestion as well as schematics. They should be fully maintainable if nothing else.
04-29-2022, 04:21 PM
Free Member

Interesting. I look forward to hearing more about it including independent test reports.

Given how long analog SD has been dead hope its not too late to the game.

Wonder what the USA price will run?
04-30-2022, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

$750 USD / £595 for all the work they appear to have put into this, quality of components, inflation really kicking in, etc, is a pretty reasonable price. Not to mention some profit due to them just for taking the risk of doing this project. Even if this was just equivalent in TBC functionality to whatever mid-level boxes you can get in that price range currently, I'd take this new item with Y/C, SDI, and all info readily available.

recommended vcr+line tbc ---(y/c)--> lordsmurf frame tbc ---(sdi+y/c)--> capture in windows 7
04-30-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmuy97 View Post
I'd take this new item with Y/C, SDI, and all info readily available.
This (speaking as a business), is very important, we'd need these units to last five years so having access to repair information is very useful. This is why we don't use amateur equipment as often it's not built with repair or fault-finding in mind, unlike professional equipment. As an example, I've never found ForA schematics online but at least they're laid out logically (electronically) with clear and obvious test points etc. Repairing them is often fairly trivial and by construction they're maintainable you can get a grasp as to what is going on.

I'm going to get a quote on Tuesday from them (it's a Bank Holiday on Monday here) and go from there.
04-30-2022, 12:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmuy97 View Post
$750 USD / £595 for all the work they appear to have put into this, quality of components, inflation really kicking in, etc, is a pretty reasonable price. Not to mention some profit due to them just for taking the risk of doing this project. Even if this was just equivalent in TBC functionality to whatever mid-level boxes you can get in that price range currently, I'd take this new item with Y/C, SDI, and all info readily available.
I'd have to see the TBC in action. Don't make assumptions here. Far too many items claiming TBC have very weak performance at best. So, at the moment, the value proposition is negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustReviews View Post
This (speaking as a business), is very important, we'd need these units to last five years so having access to repair information is very useful. This is why we don't use amateur equipment as often it's not built with repair or fault-finding in mind, unlike professional equipment.
Yep. But not just repair. It needs to be built with longevity in mind, and that is almost never the case for amateur hour gear. It's too often ugly items, with badly designed and soldered boards, and the entire unit has a cheap feel to it. It's not an issue of appearance alone, but you can visually see it will fail and fall apart with any use (to say nothing of accidental abuse). Professional items have (in case of USA) FCC testing and compliance (EU has equivalents). Amateur gear has none of that.

I've also seen far too many botched and bad repair and refurb jobs, which often made the unit irreparable for any subsequent issue it will (not may!) have. But it's not always the fault of the repairer/refurb'er, but the fault of the badly made item. It had room for only one repair.

Quote:
Been watching with interest, they're a UK firm as well which makes it a bit more tolerable, I'll contact them and see what the VAT status is on them.
I'm actually dubious of UK based video hardware makers. Experience. I want to assume it's just bad coincidence multiple times. But still, why UK? Unusual.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-30-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Yep. But not just repair. It needs to be built with longevity in mind, and that is almost never the case for amateur hour gear. It's too often ugly items, with badly designed and soldered boards, and the entire unit has a cheap feel to it. It's not an issue of appearance alone, but you can visually see it will fail and fall apart with any use (to say nothing of accidental abuse). Professional items have (in case of USA) FCC testing and compliance (EU has equivalents). Amateur gear has none of that.

I've also seen far too many botched and bad repair and refurb jobs, which often made the unit irreparable for any subsequent issue it will (not may!) have. But it's not always the fault of the repairer/refurb'er, but the fault of the badly made item. It had room for only one repair.
Partially. Maybe?

Quote:
I'm actually dubious of UK based video hardware makers. Experience. I want to assume it's just bad coincidence multiple times. But still, why UK? Unusual.
Who was that, let's compare notes? I can only think of one or two off-hand.
04-30-2022, 05:44 PM
Free Member

SingMai is a well established company, they have patented designs and they work with companies and government agencies, I will be surprised if they sell individual units to the public, but you never know.

04-30-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
SingMai is a well established company, they have patented designs and they work with companies and government agencies, I will be surprised if they sell individual units to the public, but you never know.
You can buy them on the website mate?

I'm not 'public' hence I need a quotation, but they look like you can order them and pay on their online store?
04-30-2022, 10:40 PM
Free Member

I was responding to LS about being dubious of UK based video hardware makers.
You probably could order directly from their website but you will have to make sure to describe the features you want because I believe they custom program the firmware and features per request, Their business model is not like make a stock of products and distribute it to retailers, instead they take the orders directly and make the product, At least that's how it was explained to me by Daniel himself.

They also have a cheaper option if someone with product assembly and programing skills, They would sell you the schematic, PCB design and the source code and you'll make it yourself, It was broken down to me to cost at around $250 to $300 a piece not accounting the cost of PCB manufacturing which is very cheap nowadays, and I think they offer free support for debugging and troubleshooting, I forgot I have to dig that e-mail. Contact sales directly they will give you all the info you need. This is for someone who's willing to market the product.

05-01-2022, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
I was responding to LS about being dubious of UK based video hardware makers.
You probably could order directly from their website but you will have to make sure to describe the features you want because I believe they custom program the firmware and features per request, Their business model is not like make a stock of products and distribute it to retailers, instead they take the orders directly and make the product, At least that's how it was explained to me by Daniel himself.

They also have a cheaper option if someone with product assembly and programing skills, They would sell you the schematic, PCB design and the source code and you'll make it yourself, It was broken down to me to cost at around $250 to $300 a piece not accounting the cost of PCB manufacturing which is very cheap nowadays, and I think they offer free support for debugging and troubleshooting, I forgot I have to dig that e-mail. Contact sales directly they will give you all the info you need. This is for someone who's willing to market the product.
Ah - I get ya.

I'm sure LS will be the first to admit he's not one for a positive outlook in these matters (from I can judge anyway), I'd be interesting to hear who he's had issues with. LS?

That's an interesting model, the assembly option. Not something for me (I worked in electronics manufacturing, it's not something I'm keen to get involved in now) - I might make a few enquiries about that just to see what comes back.

I might give them a call Tuesday and see if I can find somebody to have a chat with.
05-01-2022, 09:35 AM
Free Member

Quote:
They also have a cheaper option if someone with product assembly and programing skills, They would sell you the schematic, PCB design and the source code and you'll make it yourself,
A DIY option? But not a kit with a bag of needed parts, authored PC boards, power supply, and case. My experience for many items is that one can buy the device for $100, or that individual piece parts in small lots for $200 or more, not to mention the time and effort to do so.

I look forward to reading third party reviews.
05-01-2022, 09:11 PM
Free Member

Most PCB designs now are SMD components based, It's no longer anyone can put components on a PCB anymore, you will have to have the skills and tools for it, hot plate, silk screen, paste stencil and so on and so forth, the days of through hole component soldering are over.