digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   PCI vs. USB for PAL capture card? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/12766-pci-vs-usb.html)

overdrive80 05-10-2022 05:48 AM

PCI vs. USB for PAL capture card?

Hi all.

I gonna to digital vhs tapes. I had a vcr of my parents (Samsung with 6 headers and s-video output). I bought usb video card (UCEC video capture) but only got colorless images.

My system is new and I have not agp line and I use Win10, therefore Lord Smurf recommends (alternatives for AIW) Hauppauge 610 USB2 capture stick. In my country USB-Live2 Analog Video Digitizer.

Exists the option for PCI (Hauppauge Impact VCB - Internal Card TV (PCI))

After the preamble, which option would be the most recommended? PCI or USB?

Thanks in advance.

msgohan 05-10-2022 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by overdrive80 (Post 84694)
I had a vcr of my parents (Samsung with 6 headers and s-video output).

"6 heads" is just marketing and the S-Video output probably isn't "real", for what it's worth. (Did Samsung make/rebadge S-VHS decks anywhere in the world?) It sounds like it's just a low-quality combo VHS/DVDR.

Quote:

I bought usb video card (UCEC video capture) but only got colorless images.
I hope you're within the return period. The device is specifically advertised as being "the best" for capture from VCR. Get your money back if you can.

Attachment 15181

Without something for TBC, no USB capture device will produce good results (that includes all of the recommended ones).

overdrive80 05-10-2022 08:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, thanks. Then will bought PCI capture device.

EDIT: The VCR is this:

-- merged --

Ohhh in specifications indicates that s-video output is only for DVD.

Perhaps I misunderstood... do you mean that if the video does not have TBC, both the PCI and USB capture devices will not work for me?

From his answer, he had drawn the conclusion that with the PCI capturer he could capture with better results. I am very inexperienced in this matter.

As the links to the VCR images have been removed I have attached them according to the forum rules.

Attachment 15188

Attachment 15189

lollo2 05-10-2022 12:29 PM

You need lineTBC correction (at least) in both cases (except if you own a Canopus NX).

msgohan suggested you one of recommended capture cards (USB or PCI) instead of the UCEC card.

overdrive80 05-10-2022 12:38 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Among my little domain of the language and my lack of experience in this area did get me wrong conclusions.

dpalomaki 05-10-2022 01:19 PM

The S-VIDEO connector output is for the DVD player portion only. It does not provide video tape playback output.

overdrive80 05-10-2022 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpalomaki (Post 84710)
The S-VIDEO connector output is for the DVD player portion only. It does not provide video tape playback output.

Thanks, already saw it in the manual, its a pity.

How to acquire a video in my country with TBC, is there the possibility of acquiring a separate TBC device to insert it?

EDIT: I answer myself http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html. Its a great forum!!

RobustReviews 05-10-2022 05:09 PM

"Head counts" are messy, some machines could be both correctly described as having four or nine heads depending on how you describe them; each manufacturer kinda just made it up.

Six heads I imagine is SP and extended head pairs and the HiFi heads. Some machines included a single trick play head and included that in the marketing count, some didn't, and some even included linear audio heads in the count.
I had a non-entity machine years ago which claimed to be '8 head', it was a sleight of hand with the numbers.