06-06-2022, 10:11 AM
Free Member

Hi, I just got a Panasonic DMR-ES10 and was following advice in this thread (https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...15-DMR-ES25%29) that I should disable AV-In Noise Reduction in the menu as I'm using it in passthrough mode to capture VHS.

The AV-IN NR is currently stuck set to Automatic, and there's no way for me to turn it to Off. Has anyone had this issue before? I am using composite input, and I've tried both inputs AV3 on the front of the device, and AV4 in the back and it made no difference.

Also in the thread above, it's suggested to use a SCART adapter. Is that really necessary considering I am only using composite output from my VCR? I've searched for weeks and I don't think any S-Video VCRs ever made it to Australia, or they just don't exist in the second-hand market. I wonder if the SCART adapter makes it possible to disable the NR setting..
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-06-2022, 12:15 PM
Free Member

No idea about NR stuck at Automatic.

For the first generation of machines is recommended to use the Scart connector because brightness issues. See the german forum for more details: https://gleitz.info/forum/index.php?...en-und-andere/

Scart conveys Composite, Y/C and RGB signals. You'll use composite, so the comb filter for luma and chroma separation should be on.

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
06-06-2022, 08:10 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I wonder if the SCART adapter makes it possible to disable the NR setting..
I have an ES-15 in Australia. The scart connector (in AV1) doesn't affect selecting the NR On/Auto/Off.

Confirming you are using the "Display" button on your remote to get to the Picture menu?
06-07-2022, 04:24 AM
Free Member

Check out (manual?) if other settings need to be adjusted, to use the NR function.
(just like RGB must be switched off to get the progressive setting)
Is the NR function for both recording and playback (functions) ?
06-07-2022, 04:49 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
I have an ES-15 in Australia. The scart connector (in AV1) doesn't affect selecting the NR On/Auto/Off.

Confirming you are using the "Display" button on your remote to get to the Picture menu?
Yes can confirm I’m using the display button to get to the picture menu (going to Picture menu via the settings menu using the function button has same result). I am selected on Picture but pressing right direction or enter does not enter the menu to change the setting off “automatic”. It’s quite odd. Thanks for confirming it’s not dependent on using scart input.