Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-17-2022, 11:05 PM
Free Member

When I unplug the pinnacle from the computer while in SCLive, windows immediately closes down and gathers information about the error and reboots the computer
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-18-2022, 12:10 AM
Free Member

Sounds like a driver conflict, Did you install the correct version of the driver, 64bit vs 32bit?

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
06-18-2022, 12:20 AM
Free Member

You need to select the Microsoft DV Camera, as per the attachment.

My sequence is:

Connect 710-USB to computer

Connect Firewire cable to 710-USB and camera

Power On the camera

Start Scenalyzer

Wait for a few seconds then choose Custom Virtual Camera

Wait for a few seconds, then open the dropdown list again and choose Microsoft DV Camera and VCR.

I must have missed that extra step, going through the "Custom Virtual camera...".

-- merged --

When I unplug the pinnacle from the computer while in SCLive, windows immediately closes down and gathers information about the error and reboots the computer
Yes, I got the same. Won't do that again!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture Device screen.jpg (146.7 KB, 11 downloads)
06-18-2022, 12:40 AM
Free Member

I second that, I remember selecting Microsoft DV camera.

06-18-2022, 07:21 AM
Free Member

When I open SCLive I only get the Pinnacle 710-usb option in the capture select box. I do not have the option to choose Custom Virtual Camera. I download the Firewire drivers to see if this was the issue, but this did not help. I open control panel in my computer and noticed the ieee 1394 bus host controllers is not showing up in device manager. Has anyone had this issue?
06-18-2022, 08:17 AM
Free Member

Hmm. I don't think the Firewire drivers are needed. I captured DV from my 710-USB on a computer that didn't have Firewire installed.

This is what my Device Manager looks like for the 710 (see attached); driver is 4.0.46.0.

-- merged --

A bit more info: I tried on my non-firewire computer:

710-USB not connected yet.

I started up Scenalyzer. The only item in the device list was "Not Available, Microsoft Camera/VCR".

I shut down Scenalyzer, then plugged in the 710 (with the camera plugged in to the 710 but switched off).

I Started Scenalyzer again, the 710-USB is now showing in the list, as well as "Not Available, Microsoft DV Camera and VCR".

I switch on my camera.

About 10 seconds later, the function panel comes alive (eg FF, Play, RW buttons) and I can now select "Microsoft DV Camera and VCR".

PS: I crashed my first machine again! I hate it when I do that!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 710USB in Device Manager.jpg (92.5 KB, 7 downloads)
06-18-2022, 10:15 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie20 View Post
When I open SCLive I only get the Pinnacle 710-usb option in the capture select box. I do not have the option to choose Custom Virtual Camera. I download the Firewire drivers to see if this was the issue, but this did not help. I open control panel in my computer and noticed the ieee 1394 bus host controllers is not showing up in device manager. Has anyone had this issue?
This is probably an indication that the Pinnacle driver did not install correctly, Try rebooting and installing the driver making sure you install the correct version (64bit or 32bit) and select the right device from the list. Another possibility that a Win 10 update nuked the possibility to install a Win 7 driver on a Win 10 machine.
06-18-2022, 10:27 AM
Free Member

This is the info I have for windows, I did check and I am running a 64 bit. I just took the pinnacle driver off and going to reinstall

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎2020-‎11-‎19
OS build 19044.1766
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0
06-18-2022, 10:38 AM
Free Member

I say again, on the computer without the firewire installed, I do not get "Custom Virtual Camera". I only get "Not Available, Microsoft DV Camera and VCR" (until I plug in the 710-USB, then I get it and the "Not Available" bit goes away, allowing me to choose the Microsoft DV Camera and VCR.

The fact that you get "710-USB" in the SCLive device dropdown list indicates to me that the driver is installed correctly.

My Windows status is the same as yours, Rookie.
06-18-2022, 11:08 AM
Free Member

I re-loaded SCLive, took a screen shot of it. I have no input button at this time

(6) Here is a screen shot after I plugged in the pinnacle device

(7) This is a screen shot after I plug in my camera

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2022-06-18.jpg (38.3 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: jpg 2022-06-18 (6).jpg (39.3 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg 2022-06-18 (7).jpg (40.7 KB, 5 downloads)
06-18-2022, 12:24 PM
Free Member

I still believe it's a driver issue, The Pinnacle presence in the drop down window is for a generic USB analog capture device that should be used with vdub, sclive cannot capture from that, it expects a DV stream. The USB to firewire emulation function is missing which should appear as Microsoft DV Camera, this is a responsibility of the driver.
Again I don't know if this was due to MS updates or just certain chipsets of PC machines are not compatible with this legacy function. I do remember though it took me several tries to get mine working two years ago.

06-18-2022, 03:56 PM
Free Member

I took a screen shot of Hushpower pinnacle driver on the left and the right is my computer showing the driver installed. I tried the loading the pinnacle driver and SClive on my old HP laptop and I get the same problem. In the capture window I can choose from either the pinnacle 710 or the Laptops webcam. The one difference in comparing my device manger to Hushpower is he has the IEEE 1394 host controllers were I do not have these on my device manager. Can this effect SCLive?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Device manager.jpg (48.2 KB, 9 downloads)
06-18-2022, 09:50 PM
Free Member

Try this:

Windows Settings>Privacy>Camera.

Switch ON app access to the "camera", and then allow Scenealyzer to access the camera.

Oddly, I now have WinDV working.
06-19-2022, 05:03 PM
Free Member

Thank you Hushpower for continuing to assist me in this frustrating endeavor. I tried your suggestion on window settings (privacy) unfortunately this did not work on my desktop. I have included screen shots of my settings and SClive after I changed the camera settings. I would prefer to get SCLive working, but was wondering if I should give WinDV a go since you also got it working?
Thank you again for your time and everyone else who has responded to this post. I really appreciate the help

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2022-06-19.jpg (43.0 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: jpg SCLive.jpg (36.4 KB, 1 downloads)
06-19-2022, 07:37 PM
Free Member

FWIW: Firewire devices can be sensitive to exact start-up sequence of both hardware and software. So when you find one that works for your gear stick with it.

Firewire is not really hot swap. Ports can get fried if one tries to hot swap. Make all connections/disconnections when the system and source are powered down.

If software expects to see a device and does not because it was disconnected it may crash the PC. Well behaved software should not, but not all software is programmed with good error handling.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: Rookie20 (06-20-2022)
06-19-2022, 08:49 PM
Free Member

Unless you manage to get the Microsoft DV camera device to pop up there is no way that sclive would capture DV from the Pinnacle device listed in the drop down box, as I explained before it is a USB capture driver.

The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: Rookie20 (06-20-2022)
06-19-2022, 09:11 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie
I would prefer to get SCLive working, but was wondering if I should give WinDV a go since you also got it working?
Definitely worth a shot. It's crazy that for some months, I haven't been able to get WinDV to work, even with my Firewire card, but now it does.

I just tried again on my laptop that hasn't had anything Firewire done to it and Scenalyzer works a treat (as does WinDV), capturing my DV without issue.

I've attached a pic of the bottom of my 710-USB to compare with yours, Rookie.

If all else fails, you should be able to go the clumsier route of capturing your video using the analogue capture process, which is S-Video cabling and RCA for red and white for audio into the 710-USB and out to your PC. You should be able to capture your video with Virtual Dub or AmarecTV, or your video editor. My analogue captures of DV video have been similar, good, quality to the DV capture.

Alternatively, if you have a more than a few tapes to do, you could buy a Firewire expansion card and put it into your computer and capture pure DV that way.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220620_090730.jpg (228.3 KB, 6 downloads)
The following users thank Hushpower for this useful post: Rookie20 (06-20-2022)
06-19-2022, 10:14 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I've not needed to use the 710 for USB>IEEE1394 crossover much, but I've never had issues getting WinDV to work, even with Win10.

By contrast, I've had some problems with VirtualDub and AmaRecTV with random 710s in Win10. Part of that is because the 710 is another long production card, with changes over time, chips and chip software changed over the decade+ it was made. There are also PAL vs. NTSC considerations, even for cards sold native to North America (NTSC problems, PAL fine). I make the better versions of these cards available in the marketplace.

Are you having fun yet? Welcome to video capture.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Rookie20 (06-20-2022)
06-20-2022, 04:19 AM
Free Member

Pinnacle 710 usb to IEEE1394 works, but you have to coax the DV emulator system driver to load.. its a little stubborn and takes a long long time to show up under device manager. Once that is done, the system will automatically load a IEEE1394 device driver when it sees something connected to the DV port of the 710. - but its a long daisy chain of device drivers, usb, dv emulator, firewire device.

It will work, but the device chain was designed for offloading DV camcorder "clips" not entire hours long programs. DV is compressed and digital so it should be immune to lipsync issues, but there could be some corruption if any of the devices along the chain overheat or shutdown.

A much simpler (more expensive) option is to get the generic Apple Firewire to Thunderbolt2 adapter, and the Apple Thuderbolt2 to Thunderbolt3 (usb-c) adapter and plug that into a modern PC or Mac.

On the PC you just have to give the usb-c port permission to allow un-certified devices to connect to the PC pci-express bus. Then it appears like you have a native firewire card hanging off your PCI express bus. HP - Hewlett Packard machines have a goofy little software tool to set the bios option. Mac's don't need it.. they just see a certified device and lets anything connected appear on the Mac PCI-express bus and loads drivers. I think Dell's don't even bother to enforce the legal requirement of the usb-c consortium and lets anything in... so windows just loads device drivers... other brands just don't bother.. or put the gatekeeper feature into their bios

its more expensive.. since you have the 710.. but its a lot less complicated device driver and software wise

the usb-c bus is essentially a direct connect to the PC master PCI express bus.. so you don't have any bandwidth issues.. like you might have with the USB2 to DV device driver chain with the 710

i don't know what i would recommend other than WinDV.. its really all you need.. but any version SONY Vegas from way back had the vidcap.exe program which would capture/import any DV or HDV content

Cyberlink PowerDirector would do it a little more DirectX accurate.. dv video capture/import was basically "file copy" over a very simple directx filter for dv devices.. i'm pretty sure even windows movie maker would import it

Vegas is still around, it got sold to Magix, Powerdirector is still around .. they bury their "Import" or "Capture" features in their File menus now.. its not front and center anymore

Macs, at least the last Intel Mac I saw.. iMovie just imported the video.. nothing extra required

the adapters do get hot.. for long captures.. so I would put a fan on them

the adapters have been around so long.. even generic versions are sold by the original Chinese sources Apple uses on ebay.. so you can avoid the Apple tax.. but I'd just buy them from Apple.. if you go that route

The Marvin, Marvin-CR and Marvin-lite Pinnacle USB to DV route was amazing.. for its time.. as close to standardizing a DV camcorder to usb video transfer as ever happened.. but its for PC only.. nothing like that was ever offered on Macs since they always had a native firewire hardware solution all the way up to today.. via thunderbolt3/4 usb-c

that the same Apple hardware works on Intel/AMD PCs was just very convenient.. and still is.. if you need DV transfer

still for the 710, check the C:\windows\system32\setupapi.log file to see if the installer for the Pinnacle device driver had any problems completing the device driver install. Occasionally its written to look in the wrong location and you have to copy it to that location manually, then re-run the installer to complete its move into the protected device drivers inf directories.. what often happened is "most" of the uncompressed device drivers for the CVBS and S-Video ports would install and that was enough for most people.. the DV function was an oddball.. which most people didn't care about.. but it really did work.. I've done it personally, on 32 and 64 bit.. its a miracle to behold.. but a problem child.

Last edited by jwillis84; 06-20-2022 at 04:37 AM.
The following users thank jwillis84 for this useful post: Rookie20 (06-20-2022)
06-20-2022, 10:04 AM
Free Member

Thanks jwillis84 for the info. I uninstalled the pinnacle driver and reinstalled the driver this morning. When I checked for the setupapi.log file under C:\windows\system32, I could not find it. I did a search and found this file setupapi.dev.log, under C:\windows\inf. I have included screen shots. The dev.log file took three shots to see the entire file. The exit status say it was a success. Just wanted to confirm if this is correct

Attached Images
File Type: jpg search results.jpg (49.2 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg log 1.jpg (52.0 KB, 1 downloads)
File Type: jpg log 2.jpg (54.8 KB, 0 downloads)
File Type: jpg log 3.jpg (53.8 KB, 0 downloads)