06-20-2022, 04:23 PM
Free Member

Hey all,

Just wanted to get some feedback on my first AVI captures before I go any further. Mostly just looking to archive at this point, and then eventually make some montages for the family.

These captures are from my oldest VHS tapes (mid 80's) these are the tapes that are probably in the worst shape in my collection - but the TBC(s) have done a nice job of cleaning them up.

Setup:
JVC SR-V101US >> Big VooDoo TBC10 >> Pinnacle 510 USB >> VirtualDub 1.9.11
All Smurf approved.

TestCap4.avi
TestCap3.avi
TestCap1.avi

Thanks for your feedback!

-MadManMike
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-21-2022, 06:55 AM
Free Member

In general your captures do not look too bad.

Not a lot of details there, probably normal for home recorded VHS tapes.

Colors look weird in capture 4, some smearing and lot of chroma noise.

I have never seen histograms so "spiky". Can you try a same capture without Big VooDoo TBC10? Is it really needed?

3.jpg

Last edited by lollo2; 06-21-2022 at 07:28 AM.
06-21-2022, 01:31 PM
Free Member

#3 and #4 have chroma timing errors that were not fixed by the external TBC. Are those captures from the original tapes or copies?
06-21-2022, 07:56 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
In general your captures do not look too bad.

Not a lot of details there, probably normal for home recorded VHS tapes.

Colors look weird in capture 4, some smearing and lot of chroma noise.

I have never seen histograms so "spiky". Can you try a same capture without Big VooDoo TBC10? Is it really needed?

Attachment 15344
Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah I can try without the TBC10, I will see if I can get some more captures tonight. I actually have no idea if the TBC is setup correctly. I am just applying power and running my signal through it. Not sure if I am supposed to push any of the buttons or not. I found a user manual online yesterday, I will work through the setup and make sure its in the correct modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traal View Post
#3 and #4 have chroma timing errors that were not fixed by the external TBC. Are those captures from the original tapes or copies?
Interesting, I know for a fact that #3 is an original. I assume #4 is but I suppose it could be a copy (hard to know the lineage as it was before I was born).
06-21-2022, 09:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Sometimes the simple question of "are my captures good" opens a can of worms, because it can be picked to death, like vultures on a carcass. This is because VHS source is always low quality, and there is a tendency to over-analyze to modern HD expectations. You can't under-do it (ie, not using TBC), but you also should not overdo it (too critical of exact nuances of levels, as VHS levels sucked inherent to the format).

It's always good to get the hyper critical view, but don't fall down the well of the neverending video project. There must be balance to your video force.

Now then, the TBC is fine, and it was already preset for you.

What I see here is just typical consumer VHS home movies, but I'll download again on my video system tomorrow or later.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-22-2022, 01:20 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Sometimes the simple question of "are my captures good" opens a can of worms, because it can be picked to death, like vultures on a carcass. This is because VHS source is always low quality, and there is a tendency to over-analyze to modern HD expectations. You can't under-do it (ie, not using TBC), but you also should not overdo it (too critical of exact nuances of levels, as VHS levels sucked inherent to the format).

It's always good to get the hyper critical view, but don't fall down the well of the neverending video project. There must be balance to your video force.

Now then, the TBC is fine, and it was already preset for you.

What I see here is just typical consumer VHS home movies, but I'll download again on my video system tomorrow or later.
Thanks for the perspective! Also, thanks for confirming the TBC is already setup.

Yes, I realize that perfectionism can take hold. But I do want to do right and only do it once I want to capture the best quality originals I can and then later do restoration work if wanted/needed. As long as nothing seems critically wrong with my capture setup then I will move forward with the long task of capturing.