06-05-2022, 11:52 PM
Free Member

Hi, I recently purchased some equipment (thanks LordSmurf) and successfully captured one tape. While the quality isn't great, at least I'm making progress. I see a lot of color which overlaps horizontally (bleeding?) as well as what looks to be ghosting, most noticeably in the shoulder/sleeve of the white shirt. Mainly looking for advice and correct terminology so I can research possible filters and scripts.

Workflow = Sony CCD-TRV66 > BV10 TBC > Pinnacle 710

All gear is plugged into an APC SC1000 UPS and cables are new. I would consider the cables on the higher quality side.

Based on the attached sample, does this looks to be more of an issue with the tape and/or device it was recorded on, or could this be an issue with the TRV66? Or something completely different?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

tape1_snip_x264.mp4

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-06-2022, 12:14 AM
Free Member

That's normal for home videos, Your levels are little off and possibly some over sharpening happening, Does the camcorder have a sharpening feature? You should turn off all processing except for TBC/DNR should be on.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
06-06-2022, 03:45 AM
Free Member

The levels are close to the edge limits, blacks are crushed at Y=16, no details in the darks areas, typical problem of the Pinnacle 710 card. But also brights are high, with almost no details there. Look to the highlighted areas.
Immagine.jpg

Maybe the video itself on the tape is like that, but for sure you can tune the procamp to avoid the crushed blacks.

Something that you can also try is to remove the BV10 TBC and see what happens.

One of your TBC (probably the lineTBC inside the Sony camcorded) is also having a difficult time to correct the lower parte of the frame, just above the head switching noise.

06-07-2022, 12:51 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the input. I found several other user samples somewhat similar to mine that were referring to halos. Is "halo" the correct term for the slight outline in mine? Just trying to get the terminology down and associate each with the correct image behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
That's normal for home videos, Your levels are little off and possibly some over sharpening happening, Does the camcorder have a sharpening feature? You should turn off all processing except for TBC/DNR should be on.
I checked the camcorder settings and only see TBC & DNR, no other settings. Perhaps the BV10 is over sharpening? I'll have to ask @lordsmurf on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
The levels are close to the edge limits, blacks are crushed at Y=16, no details in the darks areas, typical problem of the Pinnacle 710 card. But also brights are high, with almost no details there. Look to the highlighted areas.
Attachment 15300

Maybe the video itself on the tape is like that, but for sure you can tune the procamp to avoid the crushed blacks.

Something that you can also try is to remove the BV10 TBC and see what happens.

One of your TBC (probably the lineTBC inside the Sony camcorded) is also having a difficult time to correct the lower part of the frame, just above the head switching noise.
For some reason I couldn't adjust the procamp but have since read about graphstudionext and plan to try that. Thanks for the suggestion, as a test I will try without the camcorder TBC and a second without the BV10. I also found out that a family member has a TRV108 that I'm going to borrow and test with to see if I get similar or better results. FWIW I did try a second tape and the image was almost identical - same lower frame noise/issue as well as the same faint double outline in areas
06-07-2022, 12:58 PM
Free Member

Examples of halo:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post77233

Immagine3.jpg

06-14-2022, 11:42 PM
Free Member

I have a Sony CCD-TRV65, and it's notorious for high contrast. I'm not in my home office right now to look at it, but I believe it has an edit mode which the manual explains is to use for copying. I recall using that mode and it helped calm the contrast a bit. But nothing beat running it through the proc amp effect in Premiere, and turning the brightness up and the contrast down until the levels were between 16 and 235 on the Lumetri luminance scopes. Sometimes I cheat it a bit either way a bit of crushed blacks or blown out whites is worth it. But for that camcorder in particular it REALLY helped to get those luminance levels firmly between 16 & 235. I also, for every Sony CCD-TRV65 tape, had to lower the chroma saturation level to some degree. After all that it looks quite nice.
06-15-2022, 07:28 AM
Free Member

Many VCRs provide some level of signal processing/automatic color correction/noise reduction/brightness and contrast enhancement during playback. The exact processing performed and amount depends on the VCR being used and the VCR may may provide adjustments (e.g., a sharpness control). EDIT mode typically disables this automatic processing (or at lest reduces it) to give you something closer to the raw signal on the tape.

While this processing may be nice for viewing the VCR output on a standard TV set from the VHS era it is generally not does not copy well on next generation tape resulting in a over processed image and/or loss of detail. Thus it is generally not recommended as a default practice. However, as with all things from the analog world, individual tapes and VCR's might do better not using the EDIT mode so give tit a try and see which mode gives you the results you prefer.