Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-13-2022, 12:51 AM
Free Member

I've used vitualdub for years, but recently found out about amarectv from this forum, suggesting it handled audio sync a lot better than vdub. After installing amarectv and huffyuv-2.1.1, it does indeed do a better job at audio sync than vdub, with 0 dropouts or inserts, and only a 1.2-1.3ms sync variance. But after ~20 minutes of capture, the preview window goes black, followed by my monitor going black, then saying it can't find an hdmi source, and the power button on my monitor lights up as if I've just powered it on, then a few seconds later the picture comes back, and it's still recording. But after checking the captured file, you can see and hear it had a hiccup when it went black. I've never seen this before with any app, not even while running benchmark utilities to test my overclocked system. Virtualdub finishes the entire 2hr video capture just fine, but with sync issues, so I doubt it's my system. I'm running an RTX 3080 with an i7-7700k @4.9ghz, and 32gb of ddr4 ram, running Windows 10 x64, capturing with a Hauppauge usb-live2 device. Even after disabling my overclocks, it still crashes after ~20 minutes. I thought maybe it was some kind of trialware time limit or something, but after extensive googling, I don't find anything about about trialware except the amv4 codec which I don't have installed. This is driving me nuts. I love the capture quality of the app, but as it is right now, I'm having to stop the capture, rewind the tape ~1 minute, then restart the capture until it blanks out again, then splice together using avisynth. What the heck is going on??

-- merged --

Ok, figured it out. It was Windows power options turning my monitor off after 15 minutes. I guess it took my wireless keyboard 5 minutes to disconnect, then the monitor 15 minutes later. Weird that a running program doesn't keep it active though. Also could have sworn I disabled the option when I originally installed Windows 2 years ago. :-p
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-14-2022, 06:51 AM
Free Member

In some cases timeout is based on the time since the last keyboard or mouse activity. Actions taken after after time out can be phased. For some systems it may just takes a move of the mouse or press of the shift key to reset the timeout.

Kind of like work monitoring to check who is actively using a PC and who is napping at the desk - no doubt a popular tele-work monitoring application for some organizations
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: bmichaelb (06-14-2022)
06-14-2022, 07:58 AM
Free Member

Yeah, I figured it was wireless keyboard disconnecting after 5 minutes of inactivity. I just couldn't figure out why my Windows power option had been set back to 15 minutes. I always deactivate power managements. Unless Nvidia set it back after the install of my RTX 3080 2 weeks ago. Either that or gremlins.

On a sidenote, this project's using a Hauppauge usb-live 2 device, because my Hauppauge HVR-1800'S capture card died a few years back. The antenna connection worked, but the capture chip suddenly stopped, even after reinstalling the drivers. That was on a Pentium 4 pc. I decided last night to try it in my new setup on an MSI Z270 board with pcie 3.0 slots... the thing's now working again. Damn gremlins. :-p The pcie 3.0 has a wider bandwidth than the usb 3.0, so I'm now using that instead and will keep the usb-live as a backup.
06-14-2022, 09:23 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichaelb
this project's using a Hauppauge usb-live 2 device
This gizmo is mentioned regularly. What are your impressions? Does it work OK with VDub and Win 10 64?
06-14-2022, 09:26 AM
Free Member

Quote:
so I'm now using that instead and will keep the usb-live as a backup
Are you able to capture YUV 4:2:2 lossless with Hauppauge HVR-1800?

Quote:
Does it work OK with VDub and Win 10 64
Win10 64bit yes, VirtualDub no. Use AmarecTV

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
06-14-2022, 09:35 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
This gizmo is mentioned regularly. What are your impressions? Does it work OK with VDub and Win 10 64?
It works just fine. The only difference I see between the 2, is that the pcie card adds 0.1ms to the sync disparity... 1.2-1.3ms with the card, compared to 1.1-1.2ms with the usb. The pcie slot's supposed to have a 1Gb bandwidth (1024MB), compared to the usb 3.0's 600MB bandwidth. But on vhs captures, I don't think it matters. Other than that, I just don't like dongles... too unsightly. Also, although I haven't had any overheating issues yet, the card's getting direct airflow from the front case fans.

edit: oops... it works with Vdub 64, but the ms disparity I listed is in AmarecTV. Disparity in Vdub kept creeping up the longer the video capture went. Starts at 1.1-ish, going up to 10.x-ish. Still, 10ms is only 1/100th of a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
Are you able to capture YUV 4:2:2 lossless with Hauppauge HVR-1800?
Yep. Virtualdub's 'set custom format' accepts YUY2 'YUV 4:2:2 interleaved', but I'm using Huffyuv Convert to YUY2 in AmaRecTV.

When my card stopped working, it was no longer listed under devices in Vdub, and Windows Device Manager had the error/warning symbol attached to it. It may have been an issue with XP at the time, as the antenna still worked, so I doubt it was my pci slot. I'm just glad I decided to test it out again, mainly for the antenna, so I could have an antenna on both my pc, as well as a Hauppauge antenna dongle I have already with my Raspberry Pi. The fact that the capture card's now working again is an early birthday present to myself... in 2 more weeks. :-D
07-03-2022, 11:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I don't think AmaRecTV is doing anything magic for audio, VirtualDub doing anything wrong, more investigation is needed. Note that VirtualDub2 has known issues, the 2 fork not the same.

Win10 and Nvidia is a known issue for capture, all AV. Nvidia?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-03-2022, 07:59 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I don't think AmaRecTV is doing anything magic for audio, VirtualDub doing anything wrong, more investigation is needed. Note that VirtualDub2 has known issues, the 2 fork not the same.

Win10 and Nvidia is a known issue for capture, all AV. Nvidia?
It might have been user error, as I'm using a JVC HR-S7800U with a line-based tbc, and was using the stock virtualdub timing settings. I've since come across a thread suggesting that when using a tbc, that the timing stuffs should be disabled... ie: no inserts, dropped frames, or resync of audio or video. I've since tried capturing with them disabled, but the info at the bottom of the capture window started showing 1ms jitter, which would creep up to +10ms jitter, and the 'disp' (audio/video sync disparity?) would start ~1ms, then also start creeping up. I never actually listened to the capture though... I'll try a test tonight.

As for virtualdub, I'm using the regular 32-bit version, not virtualdub2. I am running Win10 though, with an Nvidia gpu, but does the gpu matter if it's the cpu that's doing the capturing? I couldn't figure out how to enable gpu rendering. I was considering purchasing Neat Video to help clean up my sources, and it says it can use the gpu, but I'm guessing that's only if virtualdub can use it to begin with.
07-04-2022, 01:32 AM
Free Member

OK, so after a 2hr capture using virtualdub, the jitter starts at -10ms, and disparity at 10ms, then after 45 minutes, that dropped to 0 for both, then climbed up to -5~6 for the jitter, and 5~6 for the disparity by the 2hr mark. It seems jitter and disparity are linked to one another. After listening to the audio through various parts of the capture, everything's in sync. 10ms is only 1/100th of a second, so it's completely unnoticeable. The capture's of a concert, so I'd definitely notice if the lips were out of sync. So... I guess I was wrong about virtualdub, or was still going by my experience with the timing options still being enabled. But with them disabled, vdub's just as solid as amerectv. My bad.
07-04-2022, 02:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
The counteract for sync is the attenuate the audio. So slight chipmunk, slight drunk. There's no magic way for capture software to just "not lose sync", otherwise VirtualDub would as well. For VirtualDub, that audio "fix" (not a fix) must be manually enabled. AmaRecTV, it seems, may do so automatically. This needs to be investigated further, but I lack time for it right now.

Capture software cannot avoid TBC. Nor drive latency issues, etc.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-04-2022, 03:08 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The counteract for sync is the attenuate the audio. So slight chipmunk, slight drunk. There's no magic way for capture software to just "not lose sync", otherwise VirtualDub would as well. For VirtualDub, that audio "fix" (not a fix) must be manually enabled. AmaRecTV, it seems, may do so automatically. This needs to be investigated further, but I lack time for it right now.

Capture software cannot avoid TBC. Nor drive latency issues, etc.
The timing options in virtualdub have either sync audio to video, or video to audio, but I have both disabled, so there shouldn't be any chipmunk effect.

Edit: Also, the disabling of the timing options when using a tbc came from a guide by sanlyn, where he said you could avoid them with a good tbc. Unless I read it wrong. With them enabled, I had a ton if dropped frames, and sync was all over the place, so I disabled them. That's why I liked amerectv... it didn't have that issue.

Last edited by bmichaelb; 07-04-2022 at 03:50 AM.