digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Confused on the Capture and transfer process (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/12912-confused-capture-transfer.html)

NotsafeforNick 08-05-2022 07:43 PM

Confused on the Capture and transfer process

I have some questions that I desperately need answering about using virtualdub to capture hi8/mini dv footage with firewire. I've tried and failed to do my own research for DAYS on all my questions, so many people say different things and I'm looking for a straightforward, replicable technique.

1. huffyuv vs lagarith for quality

2. What capture settings to use in virtual dub to get the best raw footage (i don't care about file size)

3. What settings to use for converting that footage to 60fps and upscale it to HD for viewing on youtube/Instagram etc

4. what compression codec to use for output that produces a high-quality, low-size file.

Since I'm transferring with a DV port with a firewire card for both HI8 in a D8 camera and MiniDV, is all of this even necessary? I read that with DV transferring that since it's already digital there's no point in using a lossless codec since it's already compressed

Thanks to everyone that helps out, I really appreciate it.

Hushpower 08-05-2022 08:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If you have firewire at both ends ie out from the camera and in to the computer, definitely try a DV "transfer" using either WinDV or Scenalyzer. I've written a guide for using both here (Scenalyzer is has more features and on my system, works, whereas WinDV used to but no longer does).

WinDV guide

Scenalyzer guide

Once you've got your DV footage on the computer, then you can manipulate it.

lordsmurf 08-07-2022 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotsafeforNick (Post 86291)
so many people say different things

That because it can be a case of blind leading blind. Somebody with bad knowledge tries to pass on that bad knowledge. Kudos to you for seeing problems with that.

Quote:

1. huffyuv vs lagarith for quality
These are both lossless, essentially identical in quality, the difference is in data structure and data (non-visual) compression. Lagarith can induce dropped frames from higher CPU overhead needs, even on modern hardware (per-core used, not whole CPU).

Quote:

3. What settings to use for converting that footage to 60fps and upscale it to HD for viewing on youtube/Instagram etc
Use Hybrid (Avisynth). QTGMC to deinterlace to 59.94fps ("60fps").
After deinterlace, upscale with Hybrid (Avisynth).

Quote:

4. what compression codec to use for output that produces a high-quality, low-size file.
H.264, high CRF, 422 profiles to retain chroma.

Quote:

Since I'm transferring with a DV port with a firewire card for both HI8 in a D8 camera and MiniDV, is all of this even necessary? I read that with DV transferring that since it's already digital there's no point in using a lossless codec since it's already compressed
The Hi8 played in D8 camera can be forced DV out (yuck) or not (good). When good, transfer thast analog with VirtualDub. Otherwise you crush quality, lose color, add blocks, etc. DV shot is fine, DV conversion is ugly.