Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
contine from private message (PM)...

Quote:
I am looking to get about 100 VHS tapes onto DVDs. I'd say 99% of the tapes are recorded in EP. Most are full using up all 6 hours. There are multiple snippets on many of them. By snippets I mean there is a variety of items on the tape, sometimes as many as 30 or 40 segments.

You answered my question about improving quality of the EP tapes. Ive seen plenty of the Panasonic 1980 SVHS decks on ebay so that wont be a problem.

Now as far the the dvd recorder, which would you recomend? I see on digitalfaq.com that the JVC's are rated the best. However, when I search them on ebay, all I get is VCR/DVD combo units. I believe I read in one of your posts that you feel the combo units are pieces of junk.

I'd like a dvd recorder with a hard drive so I can do some editing. I'd also like to be able to make chapters. I know doing through the computer is an option but Id rather use a dvd recorder with a hard drive.
Wanting to convert VHS to DVD, and have a hard drive, limits your options a bit. Assuming you are in Canada or USA (NTSC video), I would suggest looking for one of the following units:
  • JVC DR-M30H
  • Toshiba RDR-XS34
  • Toshiba RDR-XS35
The JVC will be best, but the Toshiba can do a very decent job at cleaning the tape up too. The JVC has better chroma removing filters, whereas the Toshiba attacks chroma with other NR filtering methods. It's not removed as much as it's just obscured more, and harder to see. Chroma is a big issue on VHS, the red and blue misty/hazy noise.

I would not say the JVC combo units should be avoided...
  • JVC DR-MV1
  • JVC DR-MV5
... just not as good as others. The VCR half is a boat anchor, but the DVD recorder half is good. Avoid "if possible".

JVC has a harde to find model with both VCR and hard drive, JVC DR-MX1 or something to that effect. Rarely seen them, even online when they were new and in stock.

A lot of Panasonic AG-1980P decks are abused and from poorly-maintained college/church studios, so be careful about buying an "as is" or untested unit. It might be a great bargain, but it could be an expensive waste of dollars.

If you want more guidance and tips, consider signing up for the digitalFAQ.com support forum as a Premium Member.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

I did some looking around today, and depending on if your budget will allow for it, there are some really awesome JVC DVD recorders available. And not the consumer models, but the higher-end professional decks!!

JVC DR-MV100 / MV100B (has 1080p upconversion) DVD-R with S-VHS deck combo - http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957

JVC SR-MV45 / MV45US with DVD-R and S-VHS combo deck - http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957

JVC SR-MV55 / MV45US DVD-R with S-VHS deck combo - http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957

The stock on these is VERY LIMITED, and prices start at $150.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!