09-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Free Member

Hi lordsmurf, since i vas looking for a (pal)VCR with TBC function... the only JVC that i found so far is JVC-HR D140.
I only spoke on the phone with the seller, and he doesent know anything about TBC and stuff.

So, is it any good?? Does it have TBC or not?

The man wants 30 euro's for it...

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Hello there, glad to help.

I've never heard of the JVC HR-D140, although I was able to do some Google searching. I was able to come up with very little, aside from tell-tale signs that this unit was made for either Spanish or Portugese language conutries.

There are two easy ways to tell if the machine has a timebase corrector (TBC) or not.
  1. The first is to look for a button on the front of the unit, clearly marked as being a "TBC/DNR" button. It will glow a different color (green, red, blue, orange) when engaged.
  2. On many PAL models, especially latter generation ones, the TBC is a menu option. You'd have to search through the menu on the unit. It usually appears next to the B.E.S.T. option, when present. There is no button on the front of the unit.
In most cases, there is no special marking on the VCR that mentions a TBC being present (except for the button, when present).

Have the seller check for the TBC button, or menu item. He doesn't have to know anything about a TBC in order to look for it. I wouldn't bother explaining it either. At best, just mention it's an internal filter available on some old VCRs. I would not try to explain about how it cleans up picture quality.

I've asked for a secondary opinion, to see if I can find out more.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Here's some input from a fellow video enthusiast...

Quote:
AFAIK, the HR-D140, 150, 160 and 170 are mid-1980s models, near as I can track from 1986. I don't think they began the DigiPure thing until a few years later, and even if they did have it as early as 1986 it likely would not appear on the bottom-of-the-series HR-D140. As you've probably already determined from your own research, even the worldwide JVC websites lack info on this series. My own experience researching JVC vcrs has been, if it isn't mentioned anywhere on the German or Japanese JVC archive sites, the model pre-dates the internet by a decade and is likely of no interest for DVD transfer work. As far as JVC archive and support is concerned, they have only been in business since 1992.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs