10-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Free Member

I picked up the unit today and started reading the thick owner's manual.

Normally on the JVC, I format my DVD-RW disc in DVD-Video mode, but for the Magnavox says that this is not an available option.

So, what do I do now?

I have an older version of TMPGEnc which works fine with the *.vob files structure.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Technically, all DVD recorders use DVD-VR or DVD+VR mode.

DVD+VR is a near-clone of the DVD-Video spec, while DVD-VR is the official recording spec of the DVD Forum. This is one of the few areas where the RAW Alliance did better than the DVD Forum (this one and DL burning).

DVD-VR has a "video mode", as well as the "VR" mode, in most machines. VR creates the VRO in the DVD_RTAV folder, while VIDEO creates VOB/IFO/BUP in the VIDEO_TS folder.

Given that this Magnavox is a near-clone of the Philips 3575 (the machine I own), it should record directly to disc with a VIDEO_TS structure, as well as transfer from hard drive to DVD. I mostly use DVD+RW and DVD+R in the Philips.

Given that Magnavox/Philips/Funai is the stronghold of the RW Alliance, maybe it says DVD+VR in the book, and not DVD-VR?

I've never actually read the Philips book, didn't need to. I was able to figure out what I needed just by looking at the menus and the remote.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
10-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Free Member

You are right it does say +VR.
I am going to make a test recording and see if my older version of TMPGEnc will be able to handle it.

Can you explain to me what is Autostart Recording with this unit? According to the manual every time the unit is turned on the channel is being recorded. I am not sure what is the advantage of this. And if data is being written to the HDD won't it fill up?
10-31-2009, 03:25 AM

Autostart is a silly feature that tries to mock a TiVo. Yes, it's always recording, but I don't think it keeps anything unless told, and it probably works like TiVo, too, meaning it only holds that last 30 minutes or so worth of footage on the drive.

This is something where you'd want to read the manual.

Some people like this, and some do not. Other of us just ignore it.

10-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Free Member

I guess I have no choice but to ignore it.
I read the manual, and I still can't quite figure out what disables it and how it works.

One thing which has happened a couple of times already which puzzles me. I would be pushing buttons related to recording to/viewing contents of the DVD-R -- don't quite remember the sequence -- and the sound won't return even though the TV tuner video is back. Has this happened to you? What causes this? I found that if I push the HDMI button then the sound returns.
11-01-2009, 06:14 AM

I don't know if it can be disabled. It works like a TiVo does -- meaning it's just there, always.

This audio issue has not happened on my Philips 3575, but it has happened many times, on various TV and recording devices in the past 5-10 years. More features + cheaper components = odd quirks. HDMI is actually where the most weird stuff has happened -- it's the main reason I keep my Philips hooked up by component. Only the HTPC is done with HDMI. I blame the TV, actually.

11-01-2009, 06:58 AM
Free Member

If you have your Philips connected by component to your TV, you're not using the upconverting then?

I just am connecting my Magnavox to my LG TV via HDMI so I get the upconverting to 1080p. I had been using the Philips 3982/37 for that, but the HDMI on that unit died. Piece of crap.
11-01-2009, 07:30 AM

The television upconverts. All HDTVs upconvert. And in many cases (most cases), the TV is far superior than what is included in a DVD player or DVD recorder.

There's no reason to double-upconvert it.

My Sony's upconversion is much clearer and cleaner than the somewhat grainy upconversion done by the DVD players/recorders I've tested against it.

11-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Free Member

Thanks.

I bought the Philips 3982/27 for nothing then since its HDMI output crapped out so soon and my reliable 5 year old Cyberhome already has component out.
11-01-2009, 09:20 AM

The nice part about the Philips is its ability to play Divx/XVID files. It's also fairly quiet for a player.

11-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Free Member

True.
However, the remote response time is SLOW. Hate it!

Tomorrow will be the test. I have it set to record a TV show to DVD-RW. I don't have any DVD+RW discs and more than 30+ DVD-RW discs.