Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Free Member

hello im a total noob to this so here goes,, i have searched the net but cant seem to find an exact answer ? i have a medion cam corder 80324 which has a built in digital signal processor i guess this means it will change to mpeg or similar file ?.. it has s video 4 pin port and also a av output with a scart that goes to tv . my problem is im trying to get from the tape to dvd using my computer , i have firewire ports included on my pc . can i buy such a lead that goes from svid to firwire or av to firewire ? would this work as the signal has been converted with the processor on the cam corder or am i thinkin wrong and can i even buy such a lead ?? or do i need to run the cam into something like moviebox dv or dazzle . please help thanks

i have looked into buying a dvd recorder and am aware of this option but i wanto be able to edit an author

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
You can play from the camera into a DVD recorder or any capture card. DV not required (and not suggested, to be honest).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Free Member

hi mate "lordsmurf" thanks for the reply .. so if i go for the dvd player /recorder option i can then what ?? play the dvd straight to pc or would i still need to convert the file ?? or would i need a dvd player that supports firewire and transfer it that way, what type of dvd player would be reccomended.. thanks for the help sorry to be a pain..
11-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Again, you don't have anything to do with Firewire here.

Do this:
  1. Take the s-video or composite video output from the camera,
  2. Connect that to the input of the DVD recorder,
  3. Play on the camera, record on the DVD recorder.
That's it. Really easy.

No computer involved. Just record the video to DVD, and there's your DVD.

Some DVD recorders are better than others, and then beyond that some can clean-up the quality of the 8mm tapes beyond what the camera may be doing.

DVD recorders have been thoroughly reviewed here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-recorders.htm
The links on that page are for USA models, for sale at Amazon.com and Walmart.com
Comparable models can be found for a good price at Amazon.co.uk (CLICK HERE!)

If you still want to edit, there are MPEG editors. It really depends on what you mean by "edit". If you refer to just cutting out segments, or some basic re-arranging, then you can do this in the MPEG domain. Some guides on this site cover it, see the "Edit DVD from DVD Recorder" guide and "Removing Commercials" MPEG editing guide, which covers all the concepts.

If you want to get really fancy (which takes good software and some decent skill), then you'd need something that can do AVI capture (HuffYUV codec on Windows) or uncompressed Quicktime (for Mac). You'd also be using higher-end programs like Adobe Premiere, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, etc.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-09-2009, 03:59 AM
Free Member

thanks for the help lordsmurf i think this is my best option as i only want to edit by cutting an trimming thanks again