Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Free Member

Recorded a 30-minute segment of a HD channel onto a DVD-RW.
Finalized the disc. Took over to PC running XP Home.

I tried ripping the files from the disc to the hard drive using NEC ND-3520A drive. Unsuccessful. Upgraded firmware on the drive. Again unsuccessful.

This NEC drive never had problems reading discs from the JVC DMR10.

Fortunately, the other drive a TSST TS-H492C was a DVDROM and was able to read the disc fine.

1.) why the problem with the NEC drive ?

2.) the disc menu always show the recorded video and an Empty title - a total of two titles; can't seem to delete the Empty title; why?

3.) Windows Media Player 10 thinks that there are 4 titles; why?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

The nature of DVD+VR creates duplicate IFO entries. It shows twice as many videos viewed in basic IFO reading modes, but both entries points to the same disc content. Some software will understand it is dupes, others do not.

The issue with the NEC drive may have been session based. Try again after rebooting the computer. That's an issue with Windows and DVD burners, sometimes the system will lock up the drive for no good reason. Be sure only one piece of software is reading from the drive at any time.

The "Empty Title" is actually quite common on most DVD recorders. JVC is one of the few that did not display it. DVD+VR machines do it more often, but DVD-VR machines are just as guilty. The menus aren't really all that pretty anyway, another good reason to rip and re-author.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
11-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Free Member

Thank you for the explanations.
I got used to what the JVC did so anything that the Magnavox did differently made me wonder if I was doing something wrong.

The NEC drive still has problems reading the disc. I powered down. Waited several minutes. Powered up.

ISOBuster is the only way to view the contents.

Yet, when I inserted the same disc into the other drive without any reboot, it is read fine.

I suppose it could be the disc itself. It's a Sony DVD-RW. RitekW01.

Any other ideas?
11-11-2009, 02:35 PM

Ritek media is not known for its playback/readback quality -- it has rather poor reflectivity compared to other media. Ritek1 DVD-RW are actually not bad discs, but MKM (Verbatim), Sony and TDK are better. Sony the manufacturer, not the brand. Ditto on TDK.

ISOBuster only? You should be able to read it in DVD Decrypter too.

That's a good NEC drive. However, the ability to read/write RW media is the first to go when a drive is dying. Next comes read/write -R/+R, and finally pressed discs. Not sure if that's the issue here, but it's possible. Not sure how long you've had the drive, if the home/office is smoke-free, how many burns, how often used for reading/playing, etc. Those factors all play into drive life.

DVD+RW don't need to be finalized. DVD-RW do.
Is using a DVD+RW an option?
Honestly, go to Walgreens and grab one of those TDK DVD+RW discs in a single-pack for about $2. It's been a few months since I bought some there, hopefully they still exist. Most drug stores carry singles.

11-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Free Member

Yes, ISObuster only. DVD Decrypter 3.5.40 reports that the disc is empty.

I bought the NEC drive about the same time I bought the JVC and have burned about 200 discs. I only use it to burn discs. It is a smokefree home. Is that a lot of burns? I didn't think so.

I could buy a DVD+RW. The reason I am reluctant to is that I have 15 brand new Fuji DVD-RW (MCC 01) that I have not even opened. I will try one of those first. If that doesn't do the trick, I guess I have no choice but go with the DVD+RW.

In case the NEC is going bad, which drive should I buy to replace it? It is IDE and not SATA.
11-11-2009, 06:01 PM

Given the information, I don't think the NEC drive is having a problem. It's probably okay. If you do absolutely need to replace the drive, Pioneer or Samsung drives are best in 2009.

The disc being reported as empty points to the DVD-RW not being finalized in the DVD recorder. Did you finalize it?

11-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Free Member

Yes, most definitely finalized it.
I am able to play the disc in the LG drive in my other PC running Linux.

At the moment I'm stumped.

I will try recording with a Fuji disc and see what happens.
11-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Free Member

Recorded 30 minutes on a previously-used Fuji DVD-RW disc. Finalized it.

NEC drive had no troubles reading it.

Looks like I am back in business.
11-13-2009, 03:46 PM

RW media can be funny sometimes. The discs don't always seem to like how some drives erase the discs, and other times drives don't like the virgin state of some manufacturers. Theoretically, it should all be the same, but I've come across this myself, from time to time -- both DVD+RW and DVD-RW.

Glad a solution has presented itself to you!