12-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Free Member

Does someone have a list or could we start one which includes VCR's that will play both PAL and NTSC vhs tapes and run on 120 volts? I have a PAL vhs tape that I need to capture through my equipment but I don't have a PAL player! I live in the US and it seems there are more players that run on 120 volts that play both PAL and NTSC than there are PAL-only players that run on 120 volts. Also I don't have much to spend on this player, really I just need to capture this one tape and then I'll probably resell it or put it in the closet. But I do need to do the capturing so I can use my equipment. Any help would be appreciated!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

We'd need to start a new list.

I know for a fact that the JVC HR-S7965EK PAL S-VHS VCR deck is rated for 110-240V ~ 50-60Hz power. I use a simple plug shape adapter, and it is powered off 120V USA power.

I bet a lot of the JVC series machines are like this.

PAL is a "worldwide format", including places where 110 is still the defacto power standard. NTSC is mostly a Japanese/Canada/USA thing. There are a number of Europe-only type PAL electronics, with strict 220-240 ratings.

As far as dual-format decks, the Samsung 5000W is a machine made for USA use, to play back worldwide formats. But it's not the best of VCRs -- the higher end JVC and Panasonic S-VHS lines will get you the best possible signal off that tape.

You know, if you only have one tape, we could convert it for you. There's no reason to spend time/effort/funds on just one tape.
Email us about it: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/sendmessage.php
If you need it uncompressed, send a hard drive with the tape, easy enough. Is there a special reason you need to use your own equipment?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
We'd need to start a new list.

I know for a fact that the JVC HR-S7965EK PAL S-VHS VCR deck is rated for 110-240V ~ 50-60Hz power. I use a simple plug shape adapter, and it is powered off 120V USA power.

You know, if you only have one tape, we could convert it for you. There's no reason to spend time/effort/funds on just one tape.
Email us about it: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/sendmessage.php
If you need it uncompressed, send a hard drive with the tape, easy enough. Is there a special reason you need to use your own equipment?
Thanks for the info. I also read about the JVC HR-J82MS and JVC HR-J71MS models, do you know if they are any good?

There isn't really a reason that someone else coudn't rip this tape for me, I just am enjoying the learning process myself. I am working on a converting a B sci-fi movie that I have on both laserdisc and PAL vhs, however only the tape contains deleted scenes. I need to be able to tweak the capture process myself so I can hopefully get a similar-looking quality for both the laserdisc portion and the PAL vhs tape portion. If worse comes to worse I may take you up on the offer, but for right now I am having a good time working on video myself with my own equip. A while back I converted some old-time 8mm film reels to dvd, and while it took me a while to figure out a good technique, I enjoyed the process I went through...
12-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I generally don't have a favorable opinion on multi-system VHS VCRs, but there are a number of folks who like them. I've not tried all of them out there, so I can't really give information on the two models you've mentioned.

I prefer to use high-end S-VHS VCRs, with TBC and DNR and other filters, to playback all VHS tapes (NTSS or PAL). Any conversion from PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL is done with meticulous methods.

One of the easier methods -- but still high quality -- is discussed at http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...t-pal-ntsc.htm

In general, there's no need to convert. I think you may have one of the few good reasons, since it appears you're wanting to mix PAL and NTSC source into a new DVD. And since NTSC was the dominant format, converting the PAL makes sense.

The only real "difference" between the VHS and Laserdisc, in terms of what is user-adjustable, is the color/contrast, which can be further filtered in VirtualDub by you AFTER the capture. For this, I would also suggest uncompressed or lossless AVI capture.

I'd pre-tweak in VirtualDub and color correct, export to new AVI, and do the final edits (and any smaller tweaks, as needed) in Adobe Premiere.

What editing software are you planning to use?

If this site has been as helpful as a book or class, consider donating a few dollars or upgrading your membership. As a Premium Member, you'll get detailed one-on-one help for all your video/photo/web projects.

Thanks!

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!