01-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Free Member

Complete Newbie to VD. I just installed vs. 1.8.8 with filters (from Digital FAQ forum). I am able to open existing MPEG2 files (captured with MS Movie Maker &/or VideoStudio 11) but can't figure out how to get VD to capture using the same hardware &O/S.

When I start VD then click Capture AVI on main menu > it opens in Capture Mode, "connected to capture device Angel MPEG (Direct Show)" appears. On capture menu clicked Capture Video > popup says "set capture file" > main menu click set capture file > enter a file name > start camcorder playback > capture menu click Capture Video > popup says "Unable to start video capture". At this point, I'm totally lost.

O/S Win MCE (XP Pro) with all updates, Pentium 4 & 1GB RAM. Capture hardware is Angel MPEG Device (DirectShow). http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...8/EN/index.htm

What am I doing wrong & how can I fix it so VD will capture?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
It's always possible that this particular card cannot use VirtualDub for capturing. But I'll look into it further here later in the day (or night), and get back to you with what I'm able to find out.

This computer doesn't have a capture card in it, and the ones that do are busy at the moment. But going off memory, you may not be going through all the correct steps for setting up a capture. I can say that "start camcorder playback" is definitely not correct. There is a guide for it here at http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...virtualdub.htm -- although it need some updates (those will be happening in the near future, once the CMS is live).

In the meantime, another really good option for capturing is iuVCR. Get it at http://esd.element5.com/product.html...teid=200090279 -- not freeware but only $28 to buy, if you like how it works during the trial period. And there's a guide on this site for it at http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...-avi-iuvcr.htm

For freeware, DScaler is another option, but I've have a pretty poor experience with it. I doubt it will work for you, but wanted to tos it out there, just in case you want to try to get this to work NOW instead of waiting another 12-24 hours.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I can say that "start camcorder playback" is definitely not correct.
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. In this step I am just turning on the camcorder & starting to playback the video subject to be captured. Please clarify - If I don't turn the camcorder on, how would VDub know what I want it to capture??

Some bits of information that I missed mentioning are: 1) When the Capture Mode screen opens, there is nothing in the main preview window and the Information panel only shows the title of the information that would normally be displayed - but no settings, numbers, etc. 2) Also, there are no video settings at the bottom of the screen - only audio.

I will go through the setup as shown in your link.
01-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Site Staff | Video

What kind of camera is this?
  1. VHS
  2. VHS-C
  3. S-VHS
  4. S-VHS-C
  5. 8mm
  6. Hi8
  7. Digital 8
  8. DV
  9. HDV
  10. HD on a flash card or hard drive
  11. standard def Flash camera (like a "Flip")
  12. ... or something else not listed?
The way you're capturing may or my not be the best method, depending on the camera. Let's figure that out first, before continuing to look at VirtualDub for capturing.

01-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Free Member

Camcorder is 8mm - Sharp model VL-E650U - it's an analog camera from the late 80's - early 90's.

Were you able to determine anything about the suitability of my Angel capture/tuner PCI card for this purpose? In VirtualDub settings, I never see any mention of "capture cards" - only "Tuners".
01-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Site Staff | Video

Your Dell link in the first post is bad. But I did see your VH post, with a link to http://www.lumanate.com/Downloads/Do...iProdBrief.pdf

This is an MPEG-2 hardware card -- a modern "PVR" style card, not really a "capture card" of old -- and I'm afraid you won't be able to use VirtualDub. It's not likely.

Most of these current generations of cards are optimized to only work with Windows Media Center, and a few 3rd-party PVR programs.

It's great for recording TV, not so great for converting anything else.

Would you be open to buying a USB capture card for converting your video tapes? I do have some suggestions for that.

Did you try iuVCR yet? It's a WDM capture tool (your card is WDM only), and it could work, maybe.

01-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Free Member

Thanks for replying but it appears that VDub is not user friendly enough for me - so I've given up on it. I had similar bad experience with Video Studio 11. Am now using NeroVision which works like a charm.
01-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Site Staff | Video

NeroVision usually gives inferior video quality. If you keep it to under 1 hour per disc, it might be okay.

I would still suggest seeking better capture methods if the recordings are important (old family home movies, weddings, kids, etc). If it's just temporary TV recordings of new shows -- something that can be bought on DVD eventually -- then it might suffice as your temporary copy. Being from a cameras, it's probably important home movies.

NeroVision is known to deinterlace video, thus losing 50% or more of your quality. It gets real obvious on larger TV sets.

Hang on to those tapes, if nothing else, to do it later (or pay somebody to professional convert it for you down the road, when funding permits).