Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
I have a question about the LiteOn, it will remove macrovision but will it let me copy a copyrighted disk?
I have tried to do that for back up cause disks do scratch up and I know there is computer software that will allow that but can it be done dvd player through a enhancer to dvd recorder?
Thanks
Just to be clear, the copyguard/anti-copy is an analog protection, an artificial signal error created to confuse recording devices that try to lock onto a signal. When a device is "hacked" to address this issue, the copyguard is not "removed" as much as it is simply ignored. The detection system inside the unit -- a LiteOn DVD recorder, in this case -- is shut off. So the signal is still there, it's just not being looked for by the unit.

Analog devices (VCRs) were truly confused by the error. Digital devices must filter out errors, including the false ones, but will halt when it sees a preset algorithm style. The problem is, of course, in that analog video is rather chaotic in nature, and random errors can appear very similar to the artificial ones. It's why so many people are told their home videos of junior eating pears at age 2 are "copyright protected" with a rude error message on the TV screen.

VCRs were not the greatest at recording, but home cameras were arguably much worse in the error department. So while you can get the same problems on TV recordings, it's more common on home videos. Copies of copies are really bad, too, regardless of original source (TV on VCR, or home shot videos).

Some copyguard errors were so abusive to a signal, that even ignoring the anti-copy signal would still product problems on screen. Even with the LiteOn hacked, some videos made by Lucas Films and Disney still cannot be copied -- even full-frame TBCs have issues cleaning out the vile crap dumped into the signal.

DVDs have analog protection and digital protections both, usually Macrovision and CSS. In an analog copy method, CSS isn't an issue, but the Macrovision can be.

With the detections turned off, a new copy is possible, but it will again depend on how damaging the artificial error is.

The only real way to copy a damage retail disc is to either
  1. Buy and run AnyDVD (or the trial) and use ISO Puzzle -- more methods mentioned at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...a-bad-421.html
  2. Buy another disc.
The analog copy of the DVD will result in degraded image quality from the original. But it may be an easier and cheap option, compared to the others. I won't suggest it, but I will acknowledge that it is an option, yes.

Even with an enhancer of some kind (what sort of enhancments?), it may still be a downgrade in quality, along an analog copy path, rather than the all-digital data recovery.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Free Member

So does a dvd player to dvd recorder loose quality because of the analog output of the player?
02-18-2010, 11:09 AM

Yes, the quality loss comes from the D>A to A>D conversion. The analog middle steps lose the quality, mostly on the A>D step where the analog signal is re-digitized.

02-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Free Member

Is this "loss" so bad that this process is not recommended or will about the same loss occur if the dvd is decyped (if that's correct) to the HDD of a computer and re recorded?
02-18-2010, 03:53 PM

It's a last resort only. You'll get something, but it's not the best method.

There is no loss with digital-only non-encoding copying, such as using DVD Decrypter to rip the disc image (ISO) or files, and burning to a new blank.

02-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Free Member

So that's the preferred method to copy a dvd, just rip the original and burn to a new blank...can it be just that easy...
02-18-2010, 09:01 PM

It should be that easy, yes.

The only times when it is NOT that easy, is when:
  • the disc is physically damaged with more than just minor damage (note that damage is not necessarily something you can see with your eyes)
  • the drive in use isn't very good, or has aged and is weak

02-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Free Member

The drive in my computer is a lightscribe DVD multi recorder is what's on the face, is this good enough?
02-18-2010, 09:18 PM

That's probably an LG drive. While not the best readers (or writers, for that matter), it might work.

Try it.

The worst that can happen is it just spins for a while and gives you an error message that the disc cannot be read.
--- Just don't let it do that for more than an hour in all (let's not burn out the drive).

The following users thank admin for this useful post: cyber-junkie (02-19-2010)
02-19-2010, 01:23 AM
Free Member

Is the "AnyDVD" software that will remove the copyright from DVD's?
02-19-2010, 07:12 AM

It's one of them. It's a payware option. I'd try the freeware options first, with DVD Decrypter or DVD Fab 6 in free ripping mode.

02-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Free Member

I have tried to copy a few (dvd-dvd) I know, not the best way, but the reason I ask is two of them say "cannot proceed, copyrighted material, and the other few let me copy them, what's the difference between them?
02-19-2010, 11:14 AM

The analog DVD method was halted by analog DVD protection. unlike VHS tapes, a DVD has no "real errors" in the analog signal. If you're getting a copyguard warning of some kind, then it's because the DVD has analog protection on it.

Some TBCs or other "black boxes" that remove anti-copy from the signal can fix this problem -- others cannot. I don't know which model does and does not work here, because I almost never use this copy method, seeing how it's inferior to the disc-copy method on a computer.

The following users thank admin for this useful post: cyber-junkie (02-19-2010)
02-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Free Member

...Until you're ready to place your full trust in the Admin that mirror imaging a DVD to a hard drive is the best way to duplicate material- A device that will circumvent most brands of copy protections (present on VHS cassettes or DVD discs, burned or pressed) is the Sima SCC-2 Color Corrector.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...tor-pro-series

http://www.hd.ca/bargains/scc2.php

http://www.omegadigicam.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=55

This (and other like-models) came off the market when Macrovision filed a lawsuit...
02-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Free Member

I ran it through two error/macrovision removers and it still would not copy, I have a sima pro series color corrector, I ran from dvd player to AVT TBC, to Sima to dvd recorder and it had the "cannot record copyrighted material".
02-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Free Member

Is there a dvd decrypter tutorial? I did a search but came up empty.
02-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Free Member

Nevermind, think I found one.
02-24-2010, 05:36 PM

Guide for how to use and copy a DVD with DVD Decrypter: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...-decrypter.htm

02-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Free Member

Followed the guide and settings and my dvd recorder rips it just fine at 10x speed to a directory I created on the hard drive, no errors but rips it as the vob files and there is no mds files when you go to burn back to dvd, do you have to create them? What did I not do?
02-27-2010, 03:33 PM

The MDS is only required for dual-layer media. The MDS saves the layer break. I'm sure there is other data in there, but the layer break is the only important piece.

Was your source disc a single-layer (DVD5) disc, or a dual-layer (DVD9) disc?

Did it rip an ISO file, or did it make VIDEO_TS folders on your computer? You want the ISO image file.

Ponder that mix of info, and then get back to me.