02-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Free Member

hi...

i downloaded all 15 chapters of a serial cliffhanger in mp4 format...
a menu is nice...but not as important as playing this movie.

i tried avs, nero, windows, etc. and nothing works.

i already threw away one dvd-r...but this is simple learning curve

do i need to convert these mp4 files into something else...if so...what and how?

what software do i need to actually WATCH this on my sony dvd player

thanks....

a confused newbie
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Free Member

hi... i downloaded all 15 chapters of a serial cliffhanger in mp4 format...

a menu is nice...but not as important as playing this movie.

i tried avs, nero, windows, etc. and nothing works. i cannot even load these mp4 chapters into the various and nefarious dvd burning program....also....each dvd-r has plenty of room to do the whole project....but each program says i have too much data.

others have 15 chapters on one dvd-r ....

it appears i need three dvd-r to do this....obviously something is wrong as the total data is only a little over 1gb and the dvd-r has 4.7gb

i already threw away one dvd-r...but this is simple learning curve

do i need to convert these mp4 files into something else...if so...what and how?

what software do i need to actually WATCH this on my sony dvd player

thanks.... a confused newbie
02-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

You need to convert them to mpeg2 than put them on a DVD. Not sure what kind of quality u are going to get from downloaded MP4 files. My guess, it is going to be junk...Sorry....

You only messed up 1 disk? If you do this a lot, 1 disk or 400 disks doesn't really matter....
02-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

The steps of creating a DVD are, in this scenario:
  1. Converting the source video to MPEG-2 (using an MPEG encoder). You'll now have your video assets.
  2. Make menu graphics in image/photo software (Photoshop, for example). You now have your menu assets.
  3. Take all the assets and author them. This is where you actually create the DVD with all your pieces. Ideally, you want to author to a ready-to-burn ISO file, or to a VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS folder set.
  4. Burn the folders (or the ISO) with ImgBurn free burning software.
Most MPEG encodes are payware. A good low-cost option is TMPGEnc.
Menu images can be made in freeware like GIMP (or GIMP Shop), or with payware like Photoshop (what I use). You can get Photoshop for about $50-75 Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957

Creating menus has been discussed a number of times on this site, and on the DVD collector/entertainment site TVPreservation, at http://www.tvpreservation.com/forum/...o-tech-21.html

Most all pain-free authoring programs are payware. You're actually in luck, as B&H has Ulead DVD Workshop 2 on sale for an amazing $49 -- and it's pro software, perfect for this task.
And again, burning is with freeware ImgBurn. Using this program has been talked about a few times on the site in the past. Just search the forum for the term "imgburn" with the site search at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/search.php

The MPEG-4 container is usually Xvid or H.264 video, which can be pretty decent if it was encoded properly. Being from archive.org (U.S. Library of Congress archives), it's probably pretty decent -- althought it would also depend on how many years ago the files were made.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
02-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Free Member

hello....thanks for all the help so far.

at least for chapter 1....FORMAT : ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, version 1

if i can just get the darn things formatted correctly, i can forgo the niceties of menus.

====================
this is what i uncovered so far:
====================

corel ulead software
B&H still has the corel ulead software listed but the software apparently no longer exists....i tried to find it on the internet.

i put a note into their sales department but it came back in mailer demon. could not be delivered.

================
is there an alternative?
================

media convert (online)
i tried using media convert....but it just hung up and died....so scratch this as an option.

================
imgburn
i downloaded imgburn but cant try it as i still dont have the encoding/menu programs.

================
photoshop
is this the program you so kindly suggested for menus? Adobe Photoshop Elements 8....supposedly this works on WINDOWS 7 this IS available at amazon for about $50

=============

i can get the burning and menu systems...but i am not certain about the encoding system...can you help....sorry to be such a nuisance...but i want to get this right, and your checklist is fantastic.

thanks so much
02-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
at least for chapter 1....FORMAT : ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, version 1
That doesn't really say anything about the file.
Gspot it. See the section called "How to analyze digital files" about 40% down this page: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...nd-sources.htm

Quote:
if i can just get the darn things formatted correctly, i can forgo the niceties of menus.
Menu or no menu -- it has to be authored.
The software for menu-less discs will cost double the price of the better DVDWS2.

Quote:
corel ulead software
B&H still has the corel ulead software listed but the software apparently no longer exists....i tried to find it on the internet.
i put a note into their sales department but it came back in mailer demon. could not be delivered.
Buy it from this link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166
You don't need to search for it.

Quote:
i tried using media convert....but it just hung up and died....so scratch this as an option.
I don't know what that is -- I didn't suggest it.

Quote:
i downloaded imgburn but cant try it as i still dont have the encoding/menu programs.
Still good to get it, have it ready for later.

Quote:
photoshop
is this the program you so kindly suggested for menus? Adobe Photoshop Elements 8....supposedly this works on WINDOWS 7 this IS available at amazon for about $50
I'm sure it's fine in Win7.

Quote:
i can get the burning and menu systems...but i am not certain about the encoding system...can you help....sorry to be such a nuisance...but i want to get this right, and your checklist is fantastic.
thanks so much
Did you see the guide for TMPGEnc: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/convert-tmpg.htm

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!