Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Free Member

Is it possible to record at bitrate between HQ and SP mode?

What I really like about the JVC is that if a program is 90 minutes long, I can select FR 90 and have it fill up an entire disc.

Is something similar to this possible with the Magnavox?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

The Philips 3575 only allows for modes -- I imagine the Magnavox clone you have is the same way. I just pick the closest mode to fill the content OR span multiple discs (use editing mode to break recording into chunks, burn each chunk to its own DVD).

The "FR" (a.k.a. "flex mode", a.k.a. flexible recording modes) was really limited to a few advanced machines during the 2004-2005 era. Those Toshiba, Pioneer and JVC machines from that period of time, for example.

Because people whined that "DVD recorders are too hard" (BOO HOO! READ THE MANUAL!) compared to VCRs, many features were dumbed down in future models, including the removal of all but the most basic VHS-like recording mode options. Just another sad instance where the sloth-like masses destroyed something good.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
02-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Free Member

Darn!
So, I really like the new The 39 Steps on PBS tonight. It clocks in at 80-85 minutes. Perfect for FR.

To be honest some of the features in the manual confuses the heck out of me, but the one feature I really do want, it doesn't have.

I have also noticed that with HD programs that the Magnavox's image is actually too wide. I can tell this because some of the text is missing on either side. Is this normal?
02-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Too wide? Maybe the broadcast has too much video into the overscan? It would depend on your PBS, station, your TV (or HDTV), and other related settings. I'm sure the DVD recorder is faithful to whatever it receives.

This is an advanced unit -- even I had some issues understanding everything until I experimented and read it carefully. But recording mode is a basic thing -- it usually has a button right on the remote.

The 39 Steps? Hitchcock? (It's on retail DVD, you know!)
Or maybe something else?

You can always manually split the show, record both halves to a DVD, then author a DVD+R DL on the computer. That would put it all on one disc in high quality.

You're also welcome to try the DVD recorder's DVD+R DL option. Not sure if this machine has one, but note that your experience can vary. Many recorders (and even computer software) poorly or incorrectly handle layer breaks, and many DVD players can't play the second layer.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Free Member

No, not the Hitchcock version. I have the Criterion DVD of that!
This is a BBC TV movie from December 2008 that PBS just debut last night on Masterpiece Classics. Except for the basic premise of the hero being chased, everything is different. Supposedly more faithful to the novel. This version is on DVD, but I thought I'd make my own and save some $$.

I guess I will have to make do with the HQ recording on the Magnavox's HDD and the 1/2-filled SP version on my Maxell DVD-R.

Thanks.