03-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Free Member

A couple years ago I tried to transfer old VHS-C camcorder tapes to video, along with some even older VHS camcorder tapes, of dubious quality. I tried several different ways, ran into quality problems, tried newer and better software, hardware, and finally gave up for a while. When I quit, I was using a dedicated 3.6 MHz computer, with 1 MB RAM, and a Canopus ADVC300 box. I tried U Lead capture and Pinnacle and I forget what else. It kinda worked. I kinda got tired of banging my head against the wall for such a "simple" task.

I am back at it, with some determination and stumbled on this site. I now have a recently purchased JVC HR S9911U S-VHS but I need to find a remote for it.

I am willing to buy an AVT-8710 and a suitable capture card, such as the AGP ATI all in wonder, if that is the right way to go. Is it?

All I want to do is capture the 60 tapes and eventually burn them to DVDs.

I will leave the topic of the remaining Digital Hi-8 tapes for another time.

Is this the way to go?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Free Member

http://www.replacementremotes.com/JV...e-Control.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclecticmn View Post
I now have a recently purchased JVC HR S9911U S-VHS but I need to find a remote for it.
...It's not cheap, but it's correct and new/unused...
The following users thank dyfan for this useful post: eclecticmn (03-07-2010)
03-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyfan View Post
http://www.replacementremotes.com/JV...e-Control.html
...It's not cheap, but it's correct and new/unused...
Not new, but cheap and "previously owned" (not sure if it's "used" )

This style remote came with the HR-S3600 model: http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-LP20337-002-...item2305c662b3

I use this one with my 9800. And I use my 9800 remote with my SR-V10U, because it came without a remote. (Don't ask why, long story, has to do with colors of other remotes at those workstations.)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
dedicated 3.6 MHz computer, with 1 MB RAM
I think you meant 3.6 Ghz and 1GB RAM. That machine would have worked quite well. I still use a pair of Pentium 4 3Ghz systems -- one has 1GB RAM, the other has 1.5GB RAM. Great Windows XP capture boxes. All those machines do is capture, MPEG edit, and author. Files shift to/from them over gigabit ethernet as needed.

Quote:
Canopus ADVC300 box. I tried U Lead capture and Pinnacle and I forget what else. It kinda worked.
  • Canopus box - not the best
  • Ulead for capturing - yuck
  • Pinnacle -- yuck, yuck, yuck
"It kinda worked" is a common expression, when using these tools for video.
  • Ulead made great authoring software, so-so editing software, and the capturing abilities were always dismal.
  • Pinnacle makes buggy crap. The end.
  • The Canopus box is a DV box. In the car world, a Canopus box is like saying you own a Ford Taurus, and paid sticker for it. Not impressive, and expensive. But yeah, it sorta works. It does basic DV conversion. The other hype is just hype.
I understand your position entirely.

Quote:
recently purchased JVC HR S9911U S-VHS
EXCELLENT! You've already made a great choice for quality video playback of old VHS tapes.

Quote:
willing to buy an AVT-8710
This is generally needed when working with VHS, yes. It's an ugly situation with copy protection being falsely detected. Digital capture devices just generally don't like dirty video signals, Macrovision detection or not.

More about TBCs: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...=9889#post9889
Best price on AVT-8710: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166

Quote:
and a suitable capture card, such as the AGP ATI all in wonder, if that is the right way to go. Is it?
Yes, it's honestly one of the best methods. At the time, some of those ATI cards were every bit as good as "professional" cards that cost 2-3x as much, when it came to capturing video. I refer to the AGP Radeon series of cards.

Do you have an open AGP slot?

Note that I still have several extra cards available, $75 plus shipping. Complete with purple cables, drivers, and the cards work -- unlike the broken/incomplete crap I see on eBay. Brand new, these ran about $300 each.

If an AGP slot isn't available, we can discuss some alternatives.

I think I got to all the questions.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!